The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Magellan Sohi levitation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1166 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Please see youtube for the latest in the line of Magellan principle levitations. The Magellan Sohi (pronounced so-high) allows for an almost 2 foot rise, literally putting the performer's head against the ceiling!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwYMbJchyGo

Finally, I could find a studio, but not the girl. Story of my life, right?

I am pleased in most ways with this illusion, but there are still some obvious kinks to work out. Overall, the effect on the audience and the responses to this are worth the tradeoffs.

Thanks for your interest in this ongoing project. Next, the Magellan Bermuda, where the the cloth is pulled completely aside, and there is nothing to be found. I'm getting my welder right on this one. I am not kidding, this is not a joke.

Jimmy Fingers
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3417 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Now I have to see that, and if so, I'm buying. Bring on the Bermuda!
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1166 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Hi, thanks for your enthusiasm and interest.

There has been a change in the concept of the Bermuda, based on the success of the Sohi, as seen above.

Imagine, the Sohi video above, but half way up, about 10 inches, the magician reaches down and pulls the cloth aside, just like a curtain, and the feet are seen without the attachment seen in the above video. Then, the cloth is dropped back down again, and the magician rises up the rest of the way, almost a full two feet, as seen in the Sohi video.

So far, this is only on blueprints, but if my instincts are correct, as they've been pretty good on the other Magellans, the Bermuda is going to be a really interesting, incredible effect.

Thanks for your interest, and please feel free to contact me with questions and comments.

Jimmy Fingers
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Smooth looking levitation. Does it allow for less than a full two foot rise? Us tall guys sure wouldn't want to go through the ceiling.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1166 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Hi Photius,

Well, the rise is about 21", but the rise is not really adjustible on the one in the video. I could make a smaller one, but, of course, different ceilings are different heights, so mileage may differ.

The Magellan Solo, shown in the other videos found on youtube under that title, is a much more compact, easier transported and portable version with a 15" rise. Their jaws drop with the Solo, but not quite as far as with the Sohi. Also, the Solo can be done on carpet, whereas the Sohi requires a hard, flat surface.

With the Solo, you can change light bulbs... With the Sohi, you can break them!

Thank you for your interest!

JF
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3622 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Criss Angel's got nothing on you!

Jim
donkeys and waffles
View Profile
Loyal user
From Florida but all over US now....
294 Posts

Profile of donkeys and waffles
Looks real nice !
3 people can keep a secret if two of them are dead... Benjamin Franklin
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
All of these have been released within a very short space of time.

Any release date for the Bermuda?
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1166 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Hi Lee,

Thanks for your inquiry. I would not want to release a piece before it's time, and that's the case with the Magellan Bermuda.

The reason that there have been so many released so quickly is due to the vastly different potential uses for the Magellan concept. All are a similar method for economically achieving the holy grail of upwardly rising bodies, apparently without support.

No date yet. Keep an eye on this here and youtube for more info.

Thanks for your interest,

Jimmy
Maritess
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of Maritess
I performed the witch levitation for YouTube, and I love it. I got 67,000 hits on my link just for that illusion. I saw Jimmy perform the solo and I HAD to get one for myself. I'm expecting it to arrive in New York next week. I am so excited to get it!!!!
jcmagicman
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of jcmagicman
I have a few questions on this illusion. Does it require music to mask any noises? How close can spectators really get without exposing the gimmick?
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
I have a Magellan Solo and plan to premier it on Friday as the closer of a show. I will be using music, but it does not require music to cover anything. I'll be on a raised stage (18 inches). The spectators in the front row will be in chairs (their eye level to about my knees as I'm completely levitated) about 5 feet away from me. The angles are good as well. It is a magic theater setting, so my angles are like if I was in the middle of a clock and the hands were at 10:10. You can see a picture of the stage at the bottom of this link: http://www.themagicgarage.net/

I'll let you guys know how the performance goes.
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

Find them at: http://www.masterofillusions.ca/
owln_1
View Profile
Loyal user
dallas /now live by tulsa
222 Posts

Profile of owln_1
Where can you buy one, get plans for, or who might carry it for purchasing? Owln_1
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1166 Posts

Profile of magic4545
You can purchase all at jimmyfingers.com.
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Hi Jimmy Fingers Smile

So happy to see you here Smile...Don't know if you still recall...About 11-12 years back...you made a gimmick (Fire from Finger) aka Lighter painted with Flesh tone with a metal 'c' grip...& you invited (think about 10-12 magicians) to test this product...I am one of the beta testers...I am so surprised you really send to me FOC all the way to Singapore....Thanks again....The gimmick is a brillant idea...It will be great if you list on your website to sell again Smile

BTW Just a question on your levitation: If we are doing it for a birthday party setting, setting up is not a problem because we have spiderbackdrop & the cloth with gimmick can be on the floor.......But can you advise AFTER the float....Can we pick up the cloth with the gimmick & hand to assistant or how to get rid of the gimmick with the black cloth on the floor if we can't pick up naturally.....or it can be done? Thanks for the reply Smile

Warmest Regards Smile
doveboy a.k.a Joe Yu(Singapore)
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
I promised a report of the Magellan Solo Levitation. I performed it last night at The Magic Garage, as a closer to the hour long magician variety show. I started the act with a short floating bill routine but floating a bill was not enough. I moved into doing the Magellan Solo and it killed. The comments I got after the show were things like "That was incredible" and "I saw Chris Angel do that on TV once, but I never imagined I would see that live" and "OMFingG! (with a huge thumbs up).

With the Solo, you reach a slow levitation height of about 16 inches high. I was on a raised stage, so it looked even higher. I was able to turn slightly left and right, kind of like you see in the movie "Hang 'em High" when Clint is hanging from a tree. But in this case, the invisible rope appeared to come from my chest pulling me skyward. The slight spin really helped sell the effect.

Then you reveal your feet after you have levitated to maximum height. I could hear gasps above the music. I used a drum heavy tribal techno type of song.

I came to the show with a duffle bag over my shoulder with one trip (one of my rules for the magic that I do...one trip from the car to the show per illusion). This portable levitation system works great for me for the "illusionette" style of magic that I like to perform.

Great job Jimmy. This thing is a huge hit.

Note, I own the SOLO, not the SOHI. For me, I figured the Sohi might go too high, and my face would have been above the stage curtains. So the Solo works great for me at this point and in this venue.
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

Find them at: http://www.masterofillusions.ca/
donkeys and waffles
View Profile
Loyal user
From Florida but all over US now....
294 Posts

Profile of donkeys and waffles
Nice post, you didn't get any footage of it did you ?

On 2008-02-16 20:53, semo wrote:
I promised a report of the Magellan Solo Levitation. I performed it last night at The Magic Garage, as a closer to the hour long magician variety show. I started the act with a short floating bill routine but floating a bill was not enough. I moved into doing the Magellan Solo and it killed. The comments I got after the show were things like "That was incredible" and "I saw Chris Angel do that on TV once, but I never imagined I would see that live" and "OMFingG! (with a huge thumbs up).

With the Solo, you reach a slow levitation height of about 16 inches high. I was on a raised stage, so it looked even higher. I was able to turn slightly left and right, kind of like you see in the movie "Hang 'em High" when Clint is hanging from a tree. But in this case, the invisible rope appeared to come from my chest pulling me skyward. The slight spin really helped sell the effect.

Then you reveal your feet after you have levitated to maximum height. I could hear gasps above the music. I used a drum heavy tribal techno type of song.

I came to the show with a duffle bag over my shoulder with one trip (one of my rules for the magic that I do...one trip from the car to the show per illusion). This portable levitation system works great for me for the "illusionette" style of magic that I like to perform.

Great job Jimmy. This thing is a huge hit.

Note, I own the SOLO, not the SOHI. For me, I figured the Sohi might go too high, and my face would have been above the stage curtains. So the Solo works great for me at this point and in this venue.
[/quote]
3 people can keep a secret if two of them are dead... Benjamin Franklin
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1166 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Maritess is doing some really great developmental work with the Solo, and there is some youtube video of some of her studio sessions. Kenneth Havard consulted yesterday, and came up with some all new moves and concepts that really blew the group away. Scott Emo did give me video, and the audience reaction was great, but the audience setup didn't allow the viewer to see the feet in mid air. There was a spectator's head in the front row blocking the view.

Everyone who gets the Magellan gimmicks come up with different ideas for presentation and even methods.

Thanks for your interest,

Jimmy Fingers
Maritess
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of Maritess
I performed this at a Toy Fair party in New York and David Blaine and many famous toy inventors were in the audience. Everyone LOVED it--and that is one tough crowd. Highly highly recommended. It packs small enough that I performed this levitation 8 times in one day at different parts of Manhattan, and I simply put it in a roll on bag.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
How are the angles on the solo? I ask cause this sounds fascinating but I tend to do a lot of outdoor festival and fair work where obviously angles and lighting beocme an issue I have to deal with. Thanks in advance.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Magellan Sohi levitation (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL