The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Card tricks for the young ones (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Do any of you use card tricks in your routine for under 5's? I currently don't but have been scratching around in my box-o-tricks and stumbled across a couple effects using jumbo cards. They do not use the traditional faces, but have animal pics on them (like a kids 'Go Fish' deck might have). One of the routines involves 4 cards, and they each turn over magically (thus showing the back of each card to be blue), then the backs are all shown to be different colours.

Do you think that this kind of effect may go over the heads of the kids?

Thanks,

Chris.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1166 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Hi Chris,

I'm not sure about the trick you described for under 5's. Maybe for slightly older kids. I use dippy duck occasionally with "snap" cards.

One card routine that I do use a lot (but normally for 6 and older) is Trevor Lewis's version of cards across. This always gets a terrific reaction.
Mark
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
I never use card tricks for kids, unless it's when I'm mucking about before or after the show and a kid has mentioned he has a magic set or there is an older brother/sister that I want to get on my side so they don't spoil the show for the young ones later by trying to be clever. Then if I've got time, I show him/her a quick trick. But during the show, no, never. More often than not, the pack of cards I keep in my box are only brought out so the kid who's been going on that he can do magic can show me a card trick after the show.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Andy Wonder
View Profile
Special user
Auckland, New Zealand
744 Posts

Profile of Andy Wonder
I have just recently started performing a card trick in my show. I had 8-year-old boys at a party recently so I pulled out my deck of card and they all got excited once they saw the cards and proclaimed that they loved card tricks. It went over really well and has become a successful addition for older children. I would not even think about it for 5-year-olds. One interesting thing I found while performing for 5 year olds recently is that they don't know what a Dove is. They have no idea that a Dove is a type of bird. I would go so far as to say that almost nothing could be too Juvenile for 5-year-olds, so why even try to get them into cards and things unless it is a mixed age crowd?
Andy Wonder, Auckland, New Zealand
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Thanks guys,

I think you confirmed my suspicions. When I bought the item, I was told it was "great for kids because of the colours and the pictures" but I never used it as I thought the plot was a little too complex.

I think that this one can go back in the box-o-tricks for now. I have adapted it before for adults, so I might leave it for that age group.

Thanks,

Chris.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi,

I have said this elsewhere, but I am happy to use some card effects for 5 and up or 4 yrs if part of a mixed age audience.
Ok, now I have to say that I only use card effects where the effect is easily understood and does not rely on card recognition.
For example, a card that appears in a balloon is easy to follow. Cards Across is also easy to follow. I have said this before, but I use a blank deck and get the child to draw a little picture or similar then when it appears in the impossible location it is clear to all it is the correct card as it is the only one with writing on. I have also worked some effects with a signed/picture drawn business card selected from a stack.

Phillip
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
Has to be VISUAL and SIMPLE. Quite honestly, most card tricks make me retreat to the bar at adult functions.

Re: "Dippy Duck". Tread carefully Mark!!! You look a very young man so this may have happened to me even before you were born!! Performing at an all girls private Catholic school - and dear little Dippy pulled out the whole pack and dropped them on the floor - faces up!! Aaaaagh! Smile
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1296 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I would say under 5 is a very tough crowd for card tricks, no doubt. Not for magic in general; they do enjoy magic for sure.
There have been some that young at some of the childrens shows that I have done, but the majority typically have been a little older.

Card tricks I have done at kids shows for children a little over 5, etc., basically is a routine using several decks and quick deck switches. Not really all that slick, I just begin to put one away and bring "it" back out and go on to the next effect. They don't really seem to care or make an issue out of it but are more focused on what happens next.
What I have done in several childrens shows with cards starts off with the screwed deck, which is followed by one trick with the deck after it has been "screwed" back to normal including the birthday child (if it is a birthday). This is followed by a Svengali routine that gets most, if not all, of the kids involved. And then I finish with a cheap little (but very visual) trick called the disappearing deck, where you have a hollow but normal looking deck that goes into a little case then disappears, etc. What is cool about it, is it ties in with my Svengali deck, because I use a double sided card that matches the force card of the Svengali deck.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on but it is a lot of fun and I get very good reactions from the screwed deck. The Svengali routine is always funny and the next thing you know the cards all disappear entirely. It's funny how I can see folks trying to look up my sleeve or wondering where and how I sleighted the deck away!

One other card effect that I have done on occasion and with prior acceptance of parents, is one called Smiling Assassin. It involves a cap gun. Kids love it though!!!
Got to have fun!
Smile Smile
Ok, that's all.

GlenD
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
As a newbie to magic, I don't have alot of shows under my belt, but do have some simple experience with the local cub scout groups as well as my own kids that may apply here.
My three year olds and their friends love it when I do very simple magic for them. They like it when I vanish a coin, or one of their Hot Wheels cars. They don't care much about my cards unless my 9 year old is around, in which case, they act very excited about a "card on cieling." or any other simple card location that gets a reaction from the older kids.
The conclusion that I arrive at is that in the company of older children, the under 5 crowd respond best to what the older kids respond to as they want to be a part of the group. By themselves, they really only understand the most basic effects (where did it go, ... , Look, ..., it is behind your ear!)
Magic is fun!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Card tricks for the young ones (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL