The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Thoughts on Uncuppled by Howie Schwarzman (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Tower
View Profile
Regular user
David Tower
124 Posts

Profile of David Tower
Is anyone familiar with an older Howie Schwarzman’s trick called “Uncuppled”? This is an effect where a rope is threaded through the handle of a coffee mug, covered with a cloth and the cup is removed while the rope is held by a spectator or spectators. I was wondering if anyone had any comments or if there is a demo somewhere. Thanks?

David Tower
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5288 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
David, the trick is done with an enameled metal cup that is gimmicked (now you can guess how). It was made in the day when the very small rare earth things were not as commonplace as today.

In all, it is a very clever application of the principal and a sweet little trick. In the Swartzman handling you have everything freely examined. The cup is not examinable at the end (yes it can be but that takes an extra, no problem move to rid yourself of the necessary).

I use it from time to time as part of a ring off rope routine. First I perform the trick as instructed, i.e., the cup is openly threaded on the rope, the rope ends are threaded through the grommet hole in the hank which then drops to hide the hanging cup covering the hanging cup). The whole mess is handed to a spectator to hold (both ends are side by side so the spectator only needs one hand with arm out stretched toward you). Then the magical moment and the cup comes free of the rope and the hank drops freely to the table top or simply (as in my case) put in my side coat pocket from whence it came.

I then do it again "in the open so all can see what happens" (the gimmick has gone south and the cup is now ungimmicked). I do a pretty standard ring off rope move to have the cup appear to be threaded on the rope and magically released.

I conclude the routine with the cup seemingly knotted on the rope around my neck (hanging at my back) and remove it (a Pat Page idea).

OK, that's more than you asked, bottom line is that the original trick is good by it self as a middle trick of an act.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
David Tower
View Profile
Regular user
David Tower
124 Posts

Profile of David Tower
Wow Harry, thanks for the in depth info! From the sounds of the advertising it was my kind of routine and was something I always kept in the back of my mind. I ran across an old ad for it and I thought I would ask someone about it. The ad states that the spectator can tug on the ropes to make sure it is firmly attached and that is what threw me off. It also says that everything may be handed out for immediate examination. I have experimented with various methods using a regular coffee mug.

Thanks again for the info. You were a big help.

David Tower
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2664 Posts

Profile of John Long
There is a demo on magic video depot by D.T. Nethery, entitled Cup Penetration
David Tower
View Profile
Regular user
David Tower
124 Posts

Profile of David Tower
Thanks for passing along the video clip John! I just got a chance to view it.

David Tower
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1254 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
Is this still sold? I saw it many many years ago when it was brand new, and thought at the time it was both clever and doable
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
866 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
I have this and do not use it if anyone wishes to make me an offer.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Thoughts on Uncuppled by Howie Schwarzman (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL