The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Oracular Systems (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
We'll be offering a multicultural introduction to oracular systems beginning next Thor's Day for a month. Besides Obi Abata, runes, I Ching, synchronicity and symbolic time, Tarot, chiro- and biblio- -mancy, pendulums and precognitive dreams, what sources and tools of divination and "fortune-telling" should we consider for our four afternoon workshops?

Thank you for ideas.

--ccd
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Regular Playing Cards in a Gypsy configuration. Look for the spread online.
I have some VERY old Gypsy decks from the UK etc and Yugoslovia. One of the interesting things about these decks is that in very tiny writing around the edges are capsules of the fortune value for each card. What/Why/When. These were used for training decks for the young girls. Writing is always very small hand written but with a good eye you can pick it up. Gypsy spreads use only certain cards in a deck. There is a ton of info on this form of fortune telling on the net. One thing about it is, it is sometimes very negative (like those fake Gypsy Witch decks etc) as good news didn't bring in more money...the bad stuff required another reading or too to syphon out the nasty. Smile Regular Playing cards definately for your 'thing'. The older the better.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3811 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Well, my collection of African Oracles contains at least 50 different kind of divination tools... I can post you the list and references in French here, if you're interested. It goes from the classical yoruba Ife divination, to the Spider oracle, specific oracles with crocodiles, crabs and mice (famous Baulé mouse oracle)...
Just tell me, and I'll post the list ... in French.
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Thank you so much, Doug and Curator. Isso has his own playing card deck culled from many sources that we gave three card readings from in Zargon. Thanks, Doug, for that direction and spread source...we're showing Latcho Drom as part of class, as well.

MouseWoman is anxious to follow her own footsteps backwards to the Baule if you could kindly provide a reference, Curator.

--coup
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Geomancy?
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13150 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Coupcoupdaddy

If you can find it, I suggest reviewing Max Maven's Book of Fortunetelling: The Complete Guide to Augury, Sosothsaying, and Divination. I've found it helpful in outlining similar type classes.

Tony
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Copromancy; throwing bones, stones, shells, sticks, etc.; phrenology; reading ink, both liquid and stains; examining innards; spider webs; etc.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18823 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Tea-leaves...
I've asked to be banned
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I have ben really facinated by something I thought I came up with about 6 months ago. (Ha...FAT CHANCE bright boy!) Turns out it's Ancient Chinese (as is most everything huh)...but it is the reading of the FACE to devine the future. No props of any kind. (Also said to have been around with the Ancient Egyptians.)

Here is an excellent page from Serena (a really good source of Fortune telling with cards etc.): Face Reading...

http://www.serenapowers.com/facereading.html

There is even a software out as well! haven't downloaded it though:
http://www.fast-download.info/digital_physiognomy.html

I'm delving deeper into this and may have something new by summer. (maybe...if it's really new.)
KOTAH
View Profile
Inner circle
2249 Posts

Profile of KOTAH
In the time of Da vinci, he did facial studies which supposedly could predict a persons character, social status and intelligence etc. My theory is that the eyes are the windows to our souls. So unique scanners can read them to allow us sccess to places. like a finger print. can theie pattern and color reveal even more? MIght they not be the source for a reading? Eye contact is personal and direct. PLus how they shift or blink gives info on wether or not the sitter believes your comment; or if they are telling the truth or lying about a subject. Possibly a whole new approach to readings. I look forward to your thoughts on this.

Kotah
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Btw: I meant something new involving a 'routine', not going out and looking at strange faces for real divination of the future. Smile
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3811 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Last two years, I started collecting rare African Oracles. I've now more than 50 exceptional different items (from Ife divination boards to Baulé mouse oracles listed above...). As a Curator of a traveling museum it's always interesting to speak about those items and show how they work. So I had to figure out something to do...
And here comes the idea :
First of all, as I'm not linked to the village where the oracle comes, I may not perform a great divination. But I can show something curious.
I "activate" one of the oracle and read it: "I see Death walking close to you, but a woman of great knowledge will chase it away and bring you luck..."
I can't tell you more, but it would be interesting to consult a more classical divination method.
The Major Arcana of a tarot deck are mixed and cut. The 3 first cards read: Death, the Empress and the Wheel of Fortune...

A coincidence ?
1- Really throw the African Oracle and "read" the above text.
2- Force the 3 cards.

Simple and effective. And fits my needs...
And can be adapted to many possible variations. You may replace the African Oracle by an Alethiometer (Golden Compass) to have a more steampunk version.
You may also replace tarot cards by Bibliomancy (book test) or any other method.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Interesting that #27-29 uses Chains of Shells...when thrown out the configuration of the chain is the tell. Wasn't there an old scam in the US using gold chains that were thrown and bet on?

Way back in memory so I may be totally off on that.
The Curator
View Profile
V.I.P.
Beware Vampire, I have
3811 Posts

Profile of The Curator
Because the aspect of the chain with the 8 shells, that scam is difficult to do with.
But in Hauntiques, I apply the chain scam to a divination...
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Some one PMd me that it was 'Fast and Loose' and Whit Hayden has a DVD out on it...hmmm, could be, probably is. Mr. C. So is that what you do with the Divination? Fast and Loose?
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
Quote:
On 2008-01-28 11:36, Doug Higley wrote:
Interesting that #27-29 uses Chains of Shells...when thrown out the configuration of the chain is the tell. Wasn't there an old scam in the US using gold chains that were thrown and bet on?

Way back in memory so I may be totally off on that.

Yes. Pop Haydn teaches this scam in his School for Scoundrels.

http://www.chefanton.com/scoundrelsstore/fast_and_loose.htm
What is the color of magic?
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
The Ogham.
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Extispicy--reading animal entrails.

uromancy --reading bubbles in a pot of pee...
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Just add a tad of Champagne.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2447 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
Hahaha Smile

hey does anyone have an I CHING PDF they can send me??????? theres some for public domain online but I cant find em aymore..maybe one a you's got it to share..

PM me...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Oracular Systems (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL