We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Banachek on A&E (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17682 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Honest Cox ... Most Mentalist "DO" give a disclaimer.
There are tons of threads covering the subject here on the Café Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
baggins321
View Profile
Loyal user
United States
221 Posts

Profile of baggins321
I'm only worried that Banachek doesn't have the sex appeal/edge/ego that Criss has which made him so popular. Sure banachek is a great entertainer and mentalist and more then deserves this, but I'm worried about his talent being successfully captured and marketed on film to the masses. The fact that until now he's been in mainly an advisory role on Mindfreak and Phenomenon is one example that he prefers to be behind the scenes then the "star" of the show.
JustinCredible28
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle
217 Posts

Profile of JustinCredible28
Nah-- Banachek's pretty studly Smile I think he'll do fine, especially with the "MILF" demographic that are probably at home watching A & E anyways! Smile
Once again, congrats on this, Banachek!
"a distorted reality is now a necessity to be free. . ." -- Elliott Smith

http://www.NWFortuneTeller.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10218 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I think Banachek has a chance to be here in the states something similiar to what Darren Brown is across the pond. Remember he knows the game, knows A&E and is very keen and privy to exactly what made Mindfreak a success.

I'm not sure he'd go after the same younger edgy demographic of CA, which is why this shouldn't be a threat or competition to CA's show. Let's face it, it is time for a Mentalist to pop and utilize th medium similiar to how Kreskin did in the '70's and Banachek has the all around skill and personality to be able to do that.

As long as he doesn't use that over-dramatic style that is killing Mentalism on televison (as well as that new Fox show with the lie detector test) and delivers on content and delivery, which he is very capable of doing, he good very easily succeed.

Mindpro
Ashley Cox
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Ashley Cox
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 19:32, Slim King wrote:
Honest Cox ... Most Mentalist "DO" give a disclaimer.
There are tons of threads covering the subject here on the Café Smile

Yeah, most do, but some are more blunt about it. I've heard interviewers ask Banachek if he has any special/supernatural powers, and he usually leaves no doubt that he does NOT have any special powers. Other performers when asked the question, go off in different directions ("I was always very intuitive even as a child," or "There are these things in life that are mysterious," etc, etc). Banachek is (of course) vague about methods he uses, and IMHO that is all that is needed. It allows him to be a successful performer and still retain mystery.

I sense that you and I disagree on how far disclaimers have to go, and I'm happy to leave it at that if you are! Smile
xersekis
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of xersekis
NO "PErformer" should ever have to give any disclaimer. Never ever ever. It is already disclaimed by virtue of the fact that they are an entertainer doing a show. Now that is not to say some can't disclaim if they choose to but that is a choice.

Magicians have really got it all wrong. You don't have anything to fear from the psychic performer - there are any fraudulent psychic performers that prey on the public.

There are con artists, gigolos, identity theft, and scams all around but few phony psychics or mediums that anyone need worry about. It is not Houdini's day - nor is it the height of spiritualism. It is silly to assume people need to be protected from psychic readers anyway.

But psychic performers are the absolute least thing to worry about.
If you are a magician and you want to use your skills to protect the public - leave the mentalists alone. Go after those who can pick locks, who make widows and widowers fall in love and give fortunes away, go after scam artists who defraud millions form people in give aways, please for help etc.

Mentlalists and psychic performers are theatrical performers who can use any excuse for what they do.

Go after instead the healers, the religious prophets and zealots - the political con people

The reason more magicians don't - is cuz they truly lack the talent and intelligence to expose real threats so they follow in HOudini and randi's shoes seldom thinking for themselves and posing to be know it all.
What they truly need to do is worry less about what other performers do or don't do and take care of themselves, and get a life. What pretentious small minded silly people worry about what another entertainer attributes their skills to during a theatrical performance.

Now if somone were doing "cheating work" in a church or synagog claiming that god is speaking to them and that members should give away their life savings... well then help enlighten the citizenry that is susceptible to the potential of harm and trickery. BUT LEAVE THE SHOW PEOPLE ALONE!!!

Stop these silly college kid magicians from blurting out how mentalists do it during a nooner. For gaawd sakes.

Someone needs to think fort hemsleves and not merely follow the randi's of the world like lemmings. Randi after all only did a poor copy of houdini's act and his exposure and went on to benefit by claiming to be an asset. Hardly any truth coming form randi either - just a career and yet people swoon over him and his minions - how absurd

there I have said it. Magigians and m-------ts don't have to disclaim - the whole notion is just plain dumb.
Rory Raven
View Profile
Special user
Providence, RI
514 Posts

Profile of Rory Raven
.... And I will attempt to get this back on track by saying congrats to Banachek. Can't wait to see the show!

R
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx
visit www.roryraven.com today!
Ashley Cox
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of Ashley Cox
Xersekis--I suspect that was directed at me. I'd rather not get into this discussion right now, preferring the focus being on Banachek and A&E.

PM if you are so inclined, but my BIGGEST beef is with how the performers act outside of their performances (notice my example was Banachek's responses in INTERVIEWS).

I guess I'll repeat what I wrote in my previous message: "I sense that you and I disagree on how far disclaimers have to go, and I'm happy to leave it at that if you are! Smile"
xersekis
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of xersekis
I say congrats to mister b and lets all wait and see rather than speculate. He will do what he will do ---
and the fact that his is a genius may help ....
but TV is TV and there have been few specials that have been any good.
So good luck mister B. All the best.
xersekis
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of xersekis
Quote:
On 2008-01-31 12:35, Ashley Cox wrote:
Xersekis--I suspect that was directed at me. I'd rather not get into this discussion right now, preferring the focus being on Banachek and A&E.

PM if you are so inclined, but my BIGGEST beef is with how the performers act outside of their performances (notice my example was Banachek's responses in INTERVIEWS).

I guess I'll repeat what I wrote in my previous message: "I sense that you and I disagree on how far disclaimers have to go, and I'm happy to leave it at that if you are! Smile"

No problem - wasn't actually directed at you personally - was my thoughts on disclaimers. As for how they act outside of performance - I do think it may be consistent with what they do or say in their performance. After all it is still all about their performance - they are (outside of their performance) not then advising people how to invest in the stock market or taking the widow's mite... if you get my drift. So my points still apply. Consistency on and off stage is something a performer decides what to live with - but it doesn't mean being a fraud or harming people if off stage the performer is consistent with their onstage persona as long as it is only directed to their performances and not otherwise "cheating" the public. After all if you are mysterious on stage why not be mysterious offstage. There are ways to maintain it or disavow it - personal choice.

anyway yes enough. AND ALL THE BEST!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17682 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Well put xersekis! Where have YOU been?
But , YES, back to the subject. Banachek seems the perfect thinker for a new Kreskinish type of show for the Mother's I'd Like To Fool Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
xersekis
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of xersekis
Slim I have pmed you and tried to email you from your site a number of times.

have never gotten throug.
liberty
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of liberty
I hope this reaches a 'considered' audience.
aukt
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of aukt
I just hope it happens, if it does, he will make it gold I'm sure.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
If it is true I'm very happy for him, but other than this thread, has there been any announcement about this show? I know many of you can see into the future, but you would think that either Steve Shaw or A&E's websites (at least) would mention the forthcoming show. Anyone?
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Bitterman

It is mentioned in that fantastic article in MUM this month. Banachek is the cover and focus of this month's issue. In my opinion, the best issue the current editor has produced.

Tony
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Thanks. Will read it tonight. I would love to see a show like this... As long as John and David and them aren't in the front row... Smile

bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Is the Richard Hatch that wrote the MUM piece the same tax dodging Richard Hatch that was fat and naked on the first season of Survivor? (Great piece, by the way. Shaw could use it as his press kit)

Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
LOL

No, he is our Richard Hatch, not fat, ugly, naked guy. Smile

http://www.magicbookshop.com/info_pages.php?pages_id=2
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
So? Any word on if the show has moved forward?

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Banachek on A&E (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL