The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Razorblade eating -presentation? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Greetings all-

For many years I have presented this effect in comedy clubs, cabaret & stage shows.

Always a big hit -I use 5 or 6 razors on a thread & plays well to choregraphed music ....

My question is-should I use this effect as a feature in the middle of my 40 min show swallowing 10 or 15 blades & bringing out 15 or 20 etc-placing the first balde & loop of thread over the mic stand & walking back across the stage with 15 or 20 blades or whatever coming out stretching most of the way across etc & finish holding the blades going across to the stand etc

Appreciate advice about any presentation & I think this would be a great piece of theatre & upgrade it from my shorter version etc

Thanks for any posts

Cheers

-Brent
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
Brent,
Well, I love the razor blades and have done several versions of them evolving over the years to the one I do today. As far as the 'big' staging of it, I can only say that it sounds like a worthy idea. After that its all going to be up to you and your staging and showmanship.
The downside would be that you are really just repeating the same thing over and over: another blade is revealed hanging from the string. The upside is that (as we know from the stories about Houdini and his needles) that the long display can look great in a spot light.
The real trick is how to make each additional blade build the climax not anticlimax! So, I would say to really develop the plot line and keep it trim and straight forward and try it out! Then let all of us know how the response is. Good luck.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
If you doing it for stage, I agree to use thread to cover you territory, much like Houdini did with needles. I rarely use thread and have gotten big time results.
I have an audience member open the hermedically sealed blade boxes (containers) and my assistant with a tray on it alcohol, cotton, latex gloves for min-her to wear it adds I think to the drama. Unless of course your into a comedy bit.
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Michael Paul has just published a killer routined called Urban Legend. Could be the new standard for the Razor Blades.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Michael Paul
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Michael Paul
Thanks very much!!!

You can read the discription at magicandmindgames.com under "urban legend".
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Another resource for those looking to explore the razorblades is an extensive book by my buddy Bizarro. I'll have to find a URL...

But I really don't think there is a reason to look beyond Michael's Urban Legend.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
Nala Nosmoht
View Profile
Special user
Surrey,B.C. Canada,
641 Posts

Profile of Nala Nosmoht
Hello Brent , I've performed the blades for 25 years.(even actually/accidently swallowed them during a performance , but I won't go into that) I started out with 10 blades with music , but found using 10 redundant , so use 5 in a more dramatic fashion. It's always worked well for me. And it really helps to find the right music. I even have a comedy version. A little more preparation ,but very funny. Alan
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
There is also a very nice close-up, street-type version that can be used for other type performances.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
dcjames
View Profile
Special user
577 Posts

Profile of dcjames
Hi Brent -

While I understand the impact you are striving for in producing such a long, blade filled string from your mouth, and agree that the final visual could be very impressive; I'm afraid the reveal could become a bit repetitive to the spectators. Unless you get the audience to buy into it somehow.

Perhaps have them count out loud as each blade clears your lips to dangle dangerously in the spotlight? Have the music build as the audience counts blade after blade, louder and more incredulous with each appearance, until the final razor is revealed. Of course, you would have to produce the same number of blades that were swallowed or everyone's going to wonder where the additional razors came from... and that would be a completely different effect. You could use your mic stand idea, backing away slowly as the audience continues to count them off.

Heck, maybe you could turn this into a dangerous mentalism type effect? Force a number. Swallow the razors a few at a time. Play up the act of swallowing them. Stare intently at your volunteer in order to read their mind as you continue to put the razors in your mouth. Announce that you think you have it. Swallow the string and wash it down with water. Have the spectator show their number. Slowly produce the strung razors ultimately revealing that the number of blades match the spectator's figure, which you couldn't possibly have known...

Just brainstorming here. Whatever you do, let us know how it goes.

dc
“Magic is very easy to do - poorly.”

Tommy Wonder
The Books of Wonder
Volume 2
Christo
View Profile
Loyal user
Cyprus
229 Posts

Profile of Christo
Get Michael Pauls "Urban Legend" after seeing his routine, it will show you that "Less is More"...so to speak.

Chris
"Humpty was pushed!!"
BRodgers
View Profile
Special user
543 Posts

Profile of BRodgers
Quote:
On 2008-11-15 03:57, Christo wrote:
Get Michael Pauls "Urban Legend" after seeing his routine, it will show you that "Less is More"...so to speak.

Chris

Urban Legend is now available, shot in high definition: http://www.thementalplayground.com/UrbanLegend.html
Creator of The Phantom Band 360
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Thank you all so much for the above advice

Lots to think about with some new ideas mentioned by you all- A mentalism effect to keeping a short routine,
Also will check out Urban Legend routine-than you for the tips!!!

In some large stage shows Ive done I have the audience slow clap as the blades appear & gets
faster as the final blade appears-leads to a higher cresendo for applause-as mentioned Showmanship & presentation are the keys so Ill keep working on it!!

Thans to you all or any more ideas-appreciated

Gracious thanks

-Brent
Mitch Schneiter
View Profile
Special user
West Linn, Oregon
672 Posts

Profile of Mitch Schneiter
Paul Potassy.
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1355 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Quote:
On 2008-10-19 09:19, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
Another resource for those looking to explore the razorblades is an extensive book by my buddy Bizarro. I'll have to find a URL...

But I really don't think there is a reason to look beyond Michael's Urban Legend.

Well the reason would be to not be doing a routine a bunch of others are doing.

It's such an open ended effect. Learn the basics of the method and create your own magic. The Book BDC mentions also comes in a DVD format...
Official Thread Killer
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2009-01-18 09:10, Mitch Schneiter wrote:
Paul Potassy.

I use a combination of Paul Potassy's method of finishing clean with no razors in the mouth as well as Tim Ellis method for the original blades that I've spoken to him about personally

Added to this my own presentation and I do have a good effect that Ive used many times for audiences of up to 1000 people with great success.

I've read Paul's book and love his method of finishing - sheer class. Now I've to decide 5 or 15 blades!

cheers
Tim Ellis
View Profile
V.I.P.
Melbourne, Australia
1234 Posts

Profile of Tim Ellis
Hi guys,

ULTIMATE BLADES is now available in our online store.

Download it here http://magicunlimited.com/store/
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
Tim Ellis has the best routine and presentation I've seen; it is entertaining, plus he has some nice "convincers."

(See his above link for more info.)
msmaster
View Profile
Special user
522 Posts

Profile of msmaster
The best blade routine I ever witnessed was Richiardi at the Viliage Gate in New York. Only a handful of blades but a dynamic response.
ITMagic
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of ITMagic
Bizzaro also has a hidden gem on his DVD if you notice it and have the balls to actually try it.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
The longest version (in time and numbers of blades swollowed)of the razorblades effect I've seen is presented by Otto Wessley.
It does look impressif at the end when the long string comes out of his mouth with all the (30 ?) blades attached to it.
He speeds up the swollowing as he's getting to the end of it, to avoid looking repetetif.
There's another effect out there for sale. It's called "Razor Shots" which gives a very nice reason and presentation idea. I think Cody Fisher presents this one, but I'm not sure.

Oliver.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Razorblade eating -presentation? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL