The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » John Ramsay (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

SM41
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of SM41
Any thing you know about him?

Thanks
RS1963
View Profile
Inner circle
2734 Posts

Profile of RS1963
Have you tried the Search function yet?

Outside of that there's a few books written by Andrew Galloway, There's a dvd set that came out about 4 years ago with Galloway performing many of the Ramsay effects.

Randy
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
He was a greengrocer from Ayr, in Scotland. This is the same part of Scotland that gave us Robert Burns.

Ramsay's skill was in natural movement and misdirection. According to Andrew Galloway, Ramsay could not do a classic palm with coins, so he developed his own way of doing things. According to Bobby Bernard, who also knew Ramsay, this was not entirely true. Ramsay could perform a classic palm, but was neither comfortable nor natural with it. In either case, he was a consummate performer who could fool the pants off just about anyone.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
SM41
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of SM41
But If he didn't use those "thecniques" how he accomplished his feats
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
He invented his own.

Buy the books or the DVD's
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

SM41
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of SM41
I will...
SM41
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of SM41
Sounds Interesting...
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
I never saw Ramsay live, but my friend Tom Ransom has, and he told me that John Ramsay was perfection. He would stare at Ramsay's hands and be absolutely fooled. Everything was slow and natural... and 100% magic.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I learned some work from Bobby Bernard, who knew Ramsay. He said the same thing about him.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2008-01-30 17:05, Santiago Michel wrote:
But If he didn't use those "thecniques" how he accomplished his feats

Never, for one minute, believe that the only techniques you can use to accomplish a given piece of magic are the ones that have been published in common books.

Currently, one of the hottest tricks on the market is the Card Through Window. I have seen many of them. Few are even half as good as the one Bob Hummer came up with many years before today's spate of CTW tricks.

But it only appears in one printed source that I am aware of.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

ALLEN TIPTON
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of ALLEN TIPTON
Magcians would freeze, go silent and just watch & marvel. If he performed in a room, often an improvised performance the room would suddenly be packed. I was very fortunate because the Secretary of the Staffordshire Magical Society(John Knox, another Scotsman) was a very close friend of his and got him to lecture to the Society. I was 15. The I met him at John Knox's home where we had Committee meetings.At 16 I bumped into him in the street at my first Convention in Cheltenham. he remembered me. Wow! I told him I could't get my right forefinger round my left thumb to thumb palm a thimble, to vanish it. On the spot he invented a vanish for me. Years later I wrote it up in my regular Abra magazine series, 'Dear Magician.' Andrew Galloway, JR's only pupil,( to whom he passed on all his secrets, moves & routines) wrote to me saying he had never seen this Ramsay move but though it was typical of the man to do this for a young magician and then forget he'd invented it. Andrew has, this week, 9th. may, written up his own version in Abra.
I was also given, later on, 2 more lessons by JR. One was on the French Drop with the emphasis on misdirection, the other was a simple Coins Across, hand to hand, in standing position.
He signed my autograph book., to my friend Allen Tipton'. I treasure this.
I suppose you could define John as 'What Dai Vernon was to the USA so was JR to the UK'. That's the nearest comparision I can make.
Nothing rushed, everything smooth, all looking very natural.
The books are, The Ramsay Legend, The Ramsay Classics (thus I have been able to find) & The Ramsay Finale. Andrew also published The Tasselled Rope Trick of JR's.
To see the magic you would be best getAndrew's dvds from International Magic London.
Allen Tipton
UK
Allen Tipton began magic at 9.Joined Staffs. Magic Soc at 14. President 8 times Guild Of Magicians Nottingham UK IBM member.1980 reproduced Dante's Show & made Magician Of Month by IBM Intern.President.Currently writing Dear Magician series in Abra magazi
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » John Ramsay (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL