The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » I got to thinking... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

arizonamagic1
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of arizonamagic1
After arriving at a show a few weeks ago I realized the handle to my favorite change bag was cracked. I played with a bit to get it to look normal, and as my life goes, it snapped off completely.

I was left with just the wood ring and the bag.

I made due with it that show, and it wasn't hard to handle at all. In fact, I like it without the big paddle-ball handle it came with. I started looking at it and it's funny how much it resembles a miniature magician's hat. It has a small "brim" then a large floppy part.

I would now like to make or buy (if one exists) a Magic Hat Change Bag. Think about it, you could turn the hat inside out, just like a change bag, show it empty, add silks, wala!, you can do mismade effects, vanishes, etc. The brim would hold the secret and you would just keep that part to the rear.

No more introducing, "My magic bag...", this would actually fit and make sense in the show.

Now I have a big magic hat that has the secret "pocket" in it, most kids have even seen one of those, this would be different, it would work exactly like a change bag.

Any ideas on making one or does it already exist?

Thanks
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
Jozo-Bozo
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Thomas Williamson Riddle III
Chelsea, UK
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

I purchased a soft material top hat several years ago when attending a David Ginn lecture. Comes with a tiny stuffed bunny. David had a funny routine to go along with it. I'm not sure if he's still marketing them or not but worth checking into as it sounds like something you'd be interested in.

Chrystal
arizonamagic1
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of arizonamagic1
Hi Chrystal, thanks, I think that's the one I own, it has a pocket in the bottom. The trouble is that it's not really a typical style change bag and I cannot turn it inside out, the strength of the change bag (to me) is being able to turn it inside out and put it right in their face and they can't see anything.

Unless you are talking about something different?

Tom, sorry I don't know much about Jozo Bozo, I know he's a kids magician, are you saying he makes one, sells one, owns one?

thanks
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
"Tom, sorry I don't know much about Jozo Bozo, I know he's a kids magician, are you saying he makes one, sells one, owns one? "

Yes
http://www.pegani.dk/qry/find.taf?functi......id1=2210
"Yes, Virginia, there really are people named Riddle...isn't that AMAZING! And to think of all the royalties I'm missing out on! SCANDALOUS!"

Chelsea, UK
arizonamagic1
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of arizonamagic1
Thanks Tom.
I cannot translate it, but looking at it I am not sure that is what I am talking about. Basically, if you had a black standard change bag and added more of a "brim" around it and removed the handle, you would have a full functioning change bag that looked somewhat like a MINIATURE magician's top hat. I think it should be small as possible because a larger hat that they really can't see into as well is not as mystifying. I'll tinker with my change bags and some things at a craft store and see what I can come up with. Thanks.
toomuchmagic
View Profile
Special user
534 Posts

Profile of toomuchmagic
Quote:
On 2008-01-31 01:59, Tom Riddle wrote:
Jozo-Bozo

Ditto!
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
http://www.hampelsmagic.com has wizard hat change bags and, for the holidays, Santa hat change bags. If any of the Hampels see this, and a hat gets sold, do I get commission? LOL!

Sammy the Kid
sspanks
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta GA
241 Posts

Profile of sspanks
I have Two Jozo Bozo Hats... One black and one red. They are very well made.

-stephen
-stephen
NeverGrowUpMagic

http://www.NeverGrowUpMagic.com
arizonamagic1
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of arizonamagic1
Thanks Sammy, I looked at http://www.hampelsmagic.com and did a search for wizard, hat, change and bag and didn't bring up any hat as a change bag.

I appreciate the all the help I just don't think I have seen anything quite like I'm talking about. In my perfect thoughts of what I want, it should look act and feel like a standard change bag, only cleverly disguised as a SMALL hat. Again, I think the smallness of a standard change bag is part of it's great deception, and the fact that it easily turns inside out. Those are key elements as to why I use a change bag over a big hat with pockets in it, to me, they don't even compare.

Stephen, can you answer for me, is the JB hat what I am looking for? Is it in fact a change bag (with lever) that easily turns inside out and is inspectable from 2 inches from your nose? If so, then that is in fact what I am looking for.

Thanks.
And I like your slogan...never grow old!
Tom Riddle
View Profile
Special user
Chelsea, UK
507 Posts

Profile of Tom Riddle
"Thanks.
And I like your slogan...never grow old!"

His slogan is "Never grow up" not "Never grow old." Big difference!

Chelsea, UK
Hoppini, the Mediocre
View Profile
New user
Canada
41 Posts

Profile of Hoppini, the Mediocre
Actully, a guy I know just bought a change bag that looks like a ball cap. I think they only come in black, but it was pretty slick.
arizonamagic1
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of arizonamagic1
Thanks Hoppini, I have seen those as well, there was some concern as to how much they can hold, unless I'm mistaken you cannot do something like a 6 silk set of a mismade routine. I think they are a great idea, still I search for a change bag in disguise.
sspanks
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta GA
241 Posts

Profile of sspanks
>Stephen, can you answer for me, is the JB hat what I am looking for? Is it in >fact a change bag (with lever) that easily turns inside out and is inspectable >from 2 inches from your nose? If so, then that is in fact what I am looking for.

I put the JB hat on a child loaded and do turn it inside out. I have kids reach inside the hat and pull things out of it... not sure if they are 2 inches away, but they are darn close Smile

The JB Hat is a double load change bag and IMHO meets all your requirements.

-stephen
-stephen
NeverGrowUpMagic

http://www.NeverGrowUpMagic.com
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
Hank Lee and Daytona Magic both sell the wizard's hat change bag and the santa's hat change bag. If the search functions don't turn them up on the websites, then a phone call to either will remedy the situation.

Question : has anyone here ever tried one of those HUGE change bags sold by LaRocks (LaRock's Fun & Magic, Charlotte, North Carolina) ? It is called the Mumbo Jumbo, and supposedly has a 1 foot wide opening. I have been very curious about this one.

I am also curious about a change bag I saw someone use a couple years ago. It was obviously a custom job, very well constructed (at least it looked like it from a distance), and covered with shiny, silver sequin fabric. Really stunning onstage in the lights. Is there someone who makes custom change bags on this list ?

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » I got to thinking... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL