The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anyone else here an artist of some sort? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1349 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
I have a non-magic question and don't know the best place to post, so I will try here.

I realize that Magic an art form, so one would assume that many magicians would be artistically inclined. I have noticed that many of the folks here are also into some other type of art. Some seem to be full time professional artists, others seem to be have art as another hobby. I am a graphic designer and painter. There just seems to be a high percentage of artist here, so anyone else care to share about their other passion?

Thanks
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
lmw
View Profile
New user
Staffordshire, England, UK
4 Posts

Profile of lmw
Not exactly art/graphic design, etc., but...

I play guitar, mandolin, bass, and hopefully banjo at some point in the not too distant future (I don't own one yet)!

I love music. It's been my passion for 15yrs+...and it's not going away, it's just playing second fiddle to magic at the moment. I'm more inclined to magic than music currently; although I'll never be without a guitar, especially not in my house.
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
B.S. artist here.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Whether I'm an artist or not is probably debatable. Smile
Over the years I've worked with a few mediums, including watercolors, pastels, clay, wood, computer graphics, and other stuff.

I sometimes dabble in writing poetry.

I also used to create modules for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons for the group I played with.

I always liked creative endeavors.
JC Johns
View Profile
Regular user
Annapolis, MD, USA
133 Posts

Profile of JC Johns
As with Jaz, I dabble in a few things - music, drawing, and woodworking. I think I enjoy those things, along with magic, because of the creative aspect.
rorythegreat
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, WA
393 Posts

Profile of rorythegreat
I oil paint, airbrush a little (still learning), draw, etc. Started going to art school after high school, but decided to change majors. I wish I would have stuck it through.
Rory
Ruppenthal
View Profile
Regular user
I'm busy, so I only have
105 Posts

Profile of Ruppenthal
I'm a creative director at a television network. Does that count? I work with artists all day long. Some say my job is like herding cats...
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1349 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Lots of very creative people here. Besides graphic design and painting, I also do wood working and am just starting in stained glass. I find that magic is simply another creative outlet for me. I have been to a couple of websites of members here who are artists, some fantastic work.

And certainly, anyone in the performing arts, such and music and acting, would also be drawn to magic.

Mr. Ree
View Profile
Elite user
Sedona AZ
414 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ree
Good enough to get paid to:

Design new products in electronics.
Audio engineer, own a small recording studio.
Oil painting, landscapes, wet-on-wet method.

Dabble in:
Playing drums, keyboards, guitar.
Arranging and composing music.

Serious study and commitment major time to:
Magic and violin.
An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.
---- William Bernbach (1911 - 1982) ----

(After 25 years of PCs, everything switched to Macs, June 2008)
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
559 Posts

Profile of pradell
Jazz Mugician. (Music/Magic) Jam in the arts. Take solos. Riffs. Creativity is the key. Master the medium and improvise.

:magicrabbit:
vpatanio
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of vpatanio
Drummer of 15 years. Everything from the professional wedding circuit in New York City to high energy punk rock.

http://www.myspace.com/etceteraband

Check out the March, 2006 issue of DRUM! magazine, page 28. Smile

-Vinny
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1168 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
I too am a Graphic Designer, working on advertising, publications, and web sites. I also play the keyboard... Well, still getting there, but I can knock-out a melody.

Wulfie
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I am a failed filmmaker and writer, who once studied in an art school to be a painter and then in a film school in order to make something that the world could discover and rave about. It didn't. I then tried to be a photographer for a while ( http://www.stormhalvorsen.com/ ) as well as a graphic designer ( http://www.cookiefactory.no/html/designmain.htm ).

But nobody has ever been interested in anything else than to try and make me work for free building web pages and cheesy ads for them. All meaningless junk. Nobody cares about content in this world.

Currently I am burned out and bitter and old and unemployed, which is why I started with magic last year as an alternative to razor blades. I also play the guitar, but after 20 years, I still haven't learned a single tune by someone else.

I won't contribute to spreading more meaningless imagery and text into the world, so at 38, I retired. And I'll leave it to others to decide if anything I have ever done is art or not. Probably not. I no longer care.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1349 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Noobini,

Dude, your graphic design and photography are fantastic, really.
I too am burned out, but I have to keep paying the bills and need money to buy more magic stuff!

NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
I dabble in graphic design too as a hobby... I'm also trying to learn to play the guitar.
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6956 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Is a radio D.J. considered an "artist"?

Been broadcasting for over 35 years.

Doug
MrMajestic
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of MrMajestic
Noobini, I just took a look at those sites, and those are pretty darn artistic if you ask me. I liked them; they said a lot.

As for me, I'm a writer and used to be a professional actor....I have an idea that I'd be good as a director....i have a really big imagination, so....
The young do not know enough to be prudent, and therefore they attempt the impossible - and achieve it, generation after generation.
- Pearl S. Buck
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Thanks a lot, MrMajestic! Me, I am extremely impressed by people who are able to act! Since my dream was to be a filmmaker, I read a bit of acting theory when I worked at a library where they had a nice section of such literature. Many years ago. The Method and things like that. Just to be able to understand actors and their craft better. But it made me want to act myself as well. Which I could never do. Simply too cowardly to open up.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
state
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of state
I'm a Car Artist. Currently I am restoring a 66 Mustang Coupe.
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-02-10 19:20, state wrote:
I'm a Car Artist. Currently I am restoring a 66 Mustang Coupe.

I believe this officially makes you cooler than the rest of us.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anyone else here an artist of some sort? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL