The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Impromptu Card Through Window (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
cosmicsecret
View Profile
Special user
Germany - Mannheim
504 Posts

Profile of cosmicsecret
Thank you for the fast supply.
Okay I just read through this ebook and here are my thoughts :

It is really impromptu as the add says.
No helpers are involved.
Borrowed pack of cards etc.

But what you need is good audience management and confidence and some acting skills to perform this stunt.
The effect reminds me a bit of KAOS but without this huge cover of cards.
The penetration happens without a cover,well you are holding the card against the glass and you push it through,you take your hands away from the glass and show the hands immediately empty.Thats what makes this stunt clean&strong for the audience.
The given techniques are pretty standard and in the reach of every magician who is handling cards.
A alternate version with a torn corner is being taught as a bonus which has its own advantages.
For me there was nothing new here but maybe some of you will learn new techniques.
I also miss a patter for this stunt,i´m saying stunt because if you present it like its written down its a stunt.It would have been nice if a patter which justifies the handling&actions have been given but Mason goes over some psychological points how the spectator will witness the stunt.

The ebook itself is very nice designed and has clear colored photos.
Overall the idea in combination with this principal is neat and bold on the same time.I usually love bold stuff but in this case you have to be carefull and practice this effect really good (timing,logical patter/misdirection etc)if not you will end up in messing up.
Some people will hate it some people will love it.
I´m still splitted opinions about it and can only judge once I have performed it which will not be the case in the near future.
For me this principal doesn't work but I will try the given hints by Mason,if they will help then i´ll be happy if not well then its lost money.Thats how the cookie crumbles.
Anyways the price is okay (i paid 12,50€) not too expensive to give it a try (thats why I had bought it)
john_rivav
View Profile
Regular user
Yauco, Puerto Rico
102 Posts

Profile of john_rivav
Any demo for this effect?
Exitmat
View Profile
Special user
642 Posts

Profile of Exitmat
Quote:
As for the simplicity side of things, well there is a fine line here... It is simple beyond belief, but then again it needs a heck of a lot of practice!!!

It's "simple" but it takes "a heck of a lot of practice"? Sounds like this translates to: "technically easy but not at all practical in the real world."
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
896 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Quote:
On 2008-02-02 05:58, Aaron123 wrote:
I recently had the opportunity to take an early peak at this new creation from Mason Roberts, and all I can really say is how incredibly clever it is. He definitely is by no means a mainstream name in the magic community…yet, but with a creative mind like his, we will definitely be seeing plenty more from this young up and coming magician. With that being said, I would like to familiarize all of you with his newest effect, simply titled: Impromptu Card Through Window. At first thought, the average magician might think, “Another card through window?” This kind of reaction is completely understandable, but if you give me a chance, I would like to explain why this is clearly not the case.

The basic effect is simple. A card is selected and signed. The spectators are invited to walk around and inspect the glass surface that is about to be penetrated. Then the card is placed onto the glass, adjusted into position, and passed through onto the other side. The hands end clean, the deck is clean, the window is clean, and the card is clean. *Insert witty remark about bathing here* Everything can be examined once again!

For starters, this is impromptu. That just about eliminated at least 90% of the other CTW effects on the market. And since doing unprepared “street magic” seems to be the big thing right now, how perfect! Second, the card can be signed, which is also considered to be quite important to many. Third, the card visually and openly goes through the window. I would repeat that, but I’m sure most of us are familiar with how Tivo works and can read that line as many times as they feel necessary. Lastly, since this is impromptu, you can use any deck of cards without any preparation or other props, so you can all put away your “you know what,” assuming you even know what I’m talking about.

What you are getting with this effect is a 20 page pdf that goes into more than enough detail on the full routine, tips, alternate handlings, and plenty of action photos to help you follow along. You can clearly tell that plenty of thought has been put into this effect because of all the nice side notes being included through out. Unfortunately, it is that great amount of development that will at first make many disregard this effect that can ultimately be so strong. Buried within, are a lot of psychological elements that will create an effect so strong for spectators, that they truly will see the impossible happen before them. But in order to uncover each powerful part of this, it’s crucial, as with any piece of magic, to seriously take some time and actually work out the details before going out into the “real world” that we all love so much more than isolation and solitude. Don’t worry, though, it will be quite worth it.

As with any great piece of magic, there are going to be flaws. This can’t be done surrounded. Then again, what CTW is? There are slight angle problems, but that is why you must spend at least some time working out how you will present this for a group. Also, this is not a card through any window. You are going to need a surface that you can easily have access to both sides of, such as a sliding glass door. Keep in mind, when you do pass the card through, the door can be shut and even locked. Similar to the previous statement but on a larger level, this effect can only be done when you have the correct environment around you. Lastly, some audience management is required for the supplied handling, and as Mason mentions, he is offering a standard method. Like with practicing a new effect, it’s always a great idea to add our own touches to make sure an effect fits any needs that we may have.

All in all, I’m very pleased with this new effect, and I think anyone who purchases it will be as well. Everyone’s repertoire has room for a CTW and this one meets any requirement that I could ever imagine having. It also works great alongside other effects, and has been designed to be strong enough to be a closer. And for those of you who may ask to see a demo, it really is not necessary. The effect is plainly described and is exactly as a spectator would repeat it, and they probably would even describe it in far less words, while still maintaining the strength of what happens. Magic is about creating moments in the audience’s heads with the simplest of effects. Luckily, this one is very strong and the clever psychological additions only help to increase it that much more.

I highly recommend this to anyone interested in Card Through Window routines as well as those who already may have a version but are interested in seeing a fresh and new approach. I look forward to seeing what many of you have to say about this new and exciting item on the market.

-A.

One last question regarding this before I press the BUY NOW button...does it require any knuckle busting, "knacky" sleights? Also, just to clarify, if there are any difficulties with the routine, it is with the presentation and audience management, right, and not so much with actually pulling off the mechanics with the trick? If its the former, I can easily deal with that, if its the latter, then I'm a bit worried.

Thanks for the in depth review, and I apologize for my continued, OCD questioning.

Evikshin
Masonogy1
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Masonogy1
Quote:
On 2008-02-02 08:33, cosmicsecret wrote:
Thank you for the fast supply.
Okay I just read through this ebook and here are my thoughts :

It is really impromptu as the add says.
No helpers are involved.
Borrowed pack of cards etc.

But what you need is good audience management and confidence and some acting skills to perform this stunt.
The effect reminds me a bit of KAOS but without this huge cover of cards.
The penetration happens without a cover,well you are holding the card against the glass and you push it through,you take your hands away from the glass and show the hands immediately empty.Thats what makes this stunt clean&strong for the audience.
The given techniques are pretty standard and in the reach of every magician who is handling cards.
A alternate version with a torn corner is being taught as a bonus which has its own advantages.
For me there was nothing new here but maybe some of you will learn new techniques.
I also miss a patter for this stunt,i´m saying stunt because if you present it like its written down its a stunt.It would have been nice if a patter which justifies the handling&actions have been given but Mason goes over some psychological points how the spectator will witness the stunt.

The ebook itself is very nice designed and has clear colored photos.
Overall the idea in combination with this principal is neat and bold on the same time.I usually love bold stuff but in this case you have to be carefull and practice this effect really good (timing,logical patter/misdirection etc)if not you will end up in messing up.
Some people will hate it some people will love it.
I´m still splitted opinions about it and can only judge once I have performed it which will not be the case in the near future.
For me this principal doesn't work but I will try the given hints by Mason,if they will help then i´ll be happy if not well then its lost money.Thats how the cookie crumbles.
Anyways the price is okay (i paid 12,50€) not too expensive to give it a try (thats why I had bought it)

Cheers for your thoughts man! I'm glad you are willing to work on the effect... It really does need the WORK and PRACTICE in order to fully work for you! As I have said before, when I first started the effect it was VERY difficult to get it to work for me, but one day it just clicked! I hope this WORK factor does not deter from people acctually going out there and trying this...

Keep on working at it and I'm sure you will get it!

Cheers
Mason
Masonogy1
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Masonogy1
Quote:
On 2008-02-02 11:28, evikshin wrote:
One last question regarding this before I press the BUY NOW button...does it require any knuckle busting, "knacky" sleights? Also, just to clarify, if there are any difficulties with the routine, it is with the presentation and audience management, right, and not so much with actually pulling off the mechanics with the trick? If its the former, I can easily deal with that, if its the latter, then I'm a bit worried.

Thanks for the in depth review, and I apologize for my continued, OCD questioning.

Evikshin

The sleights are easy, but it does require confidence and a willingness to practice and practice... and practice until you get the "knack" of the effect!
Masonogy1
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Masonogy1
*IMPORTANT* Someone by the name of "yeow Poo Sng" ordered this, but unfortunatly I cannot e-mail it to your e-mail adress, because I get the error "5.1.2 - Bad destination host 'DNS Hard Error looking up starhub.com.sg (A): domain has no A record'

If you read this, get back to me!

I'm off to bed, good night all!
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
896 Posts

Profile of evikshin
Quote:
On 2008-02-02 13:11, Masonogy1 wrote:
Quote:

Evikshin

The sleights are easy, but it does require confidence and a willingness to practice and practice... and practice until you get the "knack" of the effect!

Okay, I just bought your product. So I should be expecting an email to evikshin@yahoo.com right? My Pay-Pal says that it will shipped to my house, but I understand that this is a PDF that can be shipped electronically.

If you don't mind, I will post a review of this as soon as I get a chance to study your effect in depth.

I look forward to it,

Regards

Evikshin
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2008-02-02 01:47, evikshin wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-02-02 00:50, Ichazod wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-02-01 20:36, evikshin wrote:
Sounds great!

-Also, does the card really penetrate the glass, or does it only *appear* to be behind the glass?

Is there a version where the card really penetrates the glass? Smile

Mike

My apologies, I could've worded that better. What I meant was does the card actually end up on the other side, or do we merely pretend that its on the other side? There are some versions where the card is never on the other side, but through the use of presentation and subtle convincers, you get the audience to really believe that it is.

Evikshin

I knew what you meant, I was just kidding Smile

I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this when you get it.

Mike
Masonogy1
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Masonogy1
Quote:
On 2008-02-02 15:27, evikshin wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-02-02 13:11, Masonogy1 wrote:
Quote:

Evikshin

Okay, I just bought your product. So I should be expecting an email to evikshin@yahoo.com right? My Pay-Pal says that it will shipped to my house, but I understand that this is a PDF that can be shipped electronically.

If you don't mind, I will post a review of this as soon as I get a chance to study your effect in depth.

I look forward to it,

Regards

Evikshin

Ok I sent your order! Thanks for the purchase and I hope you do truley enjoy it!

Cheers guys for the support,
Mason
Alysson Nishiyama
View Profile
New user
Brazil
53 Posts

Profile of Alysson Nishiyama
Sorry asking this but it requires to palm the signed card????
Masonogy1
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Masonogy1
No palming is used... But yes it does use a signed card!
evikshin
View Profile
Special user
896 Posts

Profile of evikshin
First of all, I want to thanks to Mason Roberts for sending me his product so quickly!

Now, for the review.

All the conditions that Mason has put forth regarding this minor miracle is true: the card can be signed, deck can be borrowed, no stooges, no fakes, no gimmicks, and the appearance of the card is a flash penetration--it is on your side of the window, you adjust it into position, then it magically phases through. Think of David Forrest's CTW, but completely impromptu and with a signed card.

First of, I want to say that the actual PDF is incredibly well written, and the pictures are well done. All in all, I have no problems with the formatting.

The core mechanics of this trick is actually quite clever, and Kudos to Mason for coming up with it! I must say that its difficult to pull off, and it requires you to be a mature performer, in other words, an actual PERFORMER, and not a mere technician. In other words, you want a Cyril type of presentation instead of a David Blaine type. It will require strong spectator management. The actual sleight of hand is easy, but the angles and timing all need to be perfect. In terms of core mechanics, Impromptu Card Through Window closely reminds me of a certain Coin Through Bottle effect (I won't give the name away for fear of exposure).

THE MAIN SELLING POINT of this effect is that they clearly see their card on your side of the Glass. You adjust it into position, press, and its on the other side. Creating this clear picture will take lots of experimenting, and you may have to take into consideration the environment that you are living in.

Regarding angles, at the moment I would not feel comfortable performing this for more than one person. I will email Mason later on today to get his input on how to manage a crowd, or if its even possible to perform for a crowd.

This is an effect that invites lots of experimenting and handling adaptations. Once you learn the core mechanics, use your creativity to come up with the best way to present the effect. Although Mason never explicitly states this in his PDF, I've found that using a certain gimmick MAY make the effect more sure fire, and this is a gimmick that most normal people carry around on a daily basis...I will definitely experiment with this.

Mason offers several variations, all of them quite valid. One involves using a card with a torn corner (I probably will not use this one, it doesn't fit me). And the other one involves having a signed card as in the standard version, but this time you HAVE THE SPECTATOR PUSH IT THROUGH! Yep, this is the variation I will use the most. I've had many spectators tell me that they love tricks where the magic happens in their hands, and this is precisely what Mason gives us.

How does this compare to other CTWs? Overall, ONCE MASTERED, I will concede that this is at or very near the top of the list, for the mere fact that it is truly impromptu, and that you are able to provide a visual, flash appearance of the card going through. It definitely beats out Liquid in terms of clarity of effect. It also beats out KAOS in terms of the visuals, however, I would say that KAOS is easier to to perform. And there in lies the catch...in order to achieve this miracle, you will have to work at it! Nothing worthwhile in life is ever easy to attain, and if you do not grasp this, then this effect is not for you.

One last thing, Mason states that this trick is best as a closer, however, I would feel more comfortable performing this as a stand alone, where spectators are more relaxed initially.

Overall, I'd give this an 8.5/10.

It was definitely worth the 20 dollars I shelled out!

Regards,

Eviskhin
cosmicsecret
View Profile
Special user
Germany - Mannheim
504 Posts

Profile of cosmicsecret
[quote=Eviskhin]One last thing, Mason states that this trick is best as a closer, however, I would feel more comfortable performing this as a stand alone, where spectators are more relaxed initially[/quote]
that's what I think too,not to end a ACR with this CTW but it depends on your spectator(s).
elevenseventysix
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of elevenseventysix
Really interested to see how this one is pulled off... I love methods which are clever/thought-provoking!

I know the audience/spectators don't really care how good the method that the magician is using is, they are more bothered about the trick(!) but something which has a great end result for the audience and also a satisfying and clever method to please the performer is always worth a look!

Look forward to receiving my PDF!
Masonogy1
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Masonogy1
Quote:
On 2008-02-03 00:23, evikshin wrote:
First of all, I want to thanks to Mason Roberts for sending me his product so quickly!

Now, for the review.

All the conditions that Mason has put forth regarding this minor miracle is true: the card can be signed, deck can be borrowed, no stooges, no fakes, no gimmicks, and the appearance of the card is a flash penetration--it is on your side of the window, you adjust it into position, then it magically phases through. Think of David Forrest's CTW, but completely impromptu and with a signed card.

First of, I want to say that the actual PDF is incredibly well written, and the pictures are well done. All in all, I have no problems with the formatting.

The core mechanics of this trick is actually quite clever, and Kudos to Mason for coming up with it! I must say that its difficult to pull off, and it requires you to be a mature performer, in other words, an actual PERFORMER, and not a mere technician. In other words, you want a Cyril type of presentation instead of a David Blaine type. It will require strong spectator management. The actual sleight of hand is easy, but the angles and timing all need to be perfect. In terms of core mechanics, Impromptu Card Through Window closely reminds me of a certain Coin Through Bottle effect (I won't give the name away for fear of exposure).

THE MAIN SELLING POINT of this effect is that they clearly see their card on your side of the Glass. You adjust it into position, press, and its on the other side. Creating this clear picture will take lots of experimenting, and you may have to take into consideration the environment that you are living in.

Regarding angles, at the moment I would not feel comfortable performing this for more than one person. I will email Mason later on today to get his input on how to manage a crowd, or if its even possible to perform for a crowd.

This is an effect that invites lots of experimenting and handling adaptations. Once you learn the core mechanics, use your creativity to come up with the best way to present the effect. Although Mason never explicitly states this in his PDF, I've found that using a certain gimmick MAY make the effect more sure fire, and this is a gimmick that most normal people carry around on a daily basis...I will definitely experiment with this.

Mason offers several variations, all of them quite valid. One involves using a card with a torn corner (I probably will not use this one, it doesn't fit me). And the other one involves having a signed card as in the standard version, but this time you HAVE THE SPECTATOR PUSH IT THROUGH! Yep, this is the variation I will use the most. I've had many spectators tell me that they love tricks where the magic happens in their hands, and this is precisely what Mason gives us.

How does this compare to other CTWs? Overall, ONCE MASTERED, I will concede that this is at or very near the top of the list, for the mere fact that it is truly impromptu, and that you are able to provide a visual, flash appearance of the card going through. It definitely beats out Liquid in terms of clarity of effect. It also beats out KAOS in terms of the visuals, however, I would say that KAOS is easier to to perform. And there in lies the catch...in order to achieve this miracle, you will have to work at it! Nothing worthwhile in life is ever easy to attain, and if you do not grasp this, then this effect is not for you.

One last thing, Mason states that this trick is best as a closer, however, I would feel more comfortable performing this as a stand alone, where spectators are more relaxed initially.

Overall, I'd give this an 8.5/10.

It was definitely worth the 20 dollars I shelled out!

Regards,

Eviskhin

Cheers dude for the fantastic review, really enjoyable read! I'm glad you liked it and all the details/variations I went into!

I hope you master it and go out there and perform it, tell us how it goes?

Cheers
Mason
Masonogy1
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Masonogy1
Quote:
On 2008-02-03 08:20, jackgnic wrote:
Really interested to see how this one is pulled off... I love methods which are clever/thought-provoking!

I know the audience/spectators don't really care how good the method that the magician is using is, they are more bothered about the trick(!) but something which has a great end result for the audience and also a satisfying and clever method to please the performer is always worth a look!

Look forward to receiving my PDF!

I sent you the PDF, I hope that it is an interesting read and I hope you learn the effect untill you can't learn no more! Smile
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4454 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
The artwork on this really is nice. Good work Mason on that. The method though is also really nice. Clever, Bold, Simple, and above all...Magical! I have known Mason for years now, and he always comes up with great ideas and routines. It has always been a pleasure working with him and bouncing ideas back and forth, and when he sent me this, I just smiled. The great thing is, is that it is one of those routines that is limited to your imagination. Good work Mason!
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Masonogy1
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of Masonogy1
Quote:
On 2008-02-05 05:33, Christopher Williams wrote:
The artwork on this really is nice. Good work Mason on that. The method though is also really nice. Clever, Bold, Simple, and above all...Magical! I have known Mason for years now, and he always comes up with great ideas and routines. It has always been a pleasure working with him and bouncing ideas back and forth, and when he sent me this, I just smiled. The great thing is, is that it is one of those routines that is limited to your imagination. Good work Mason!

Cheers bro! That really does mean a lot to me, thanks for the kind words and above all your appreciation for the effect itself! I hope it does you and your spectators well! Smile haha
Nechto
View Profile
Special user
UK
870 Posts

Profile of Nechto
Hi Mason,

I seem to have not received my ebook yet, can you check it was sent, thanks.

Eagerly waiting!

Ben
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Impromptu Card Through Window (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL