The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Do you have any questions about the Misers Dream? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7553 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I agree about asking david for the work on Frakson. But David may have some tips of his own he would share. I will pm you with the new contact info.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
inhumaninferno
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of inhumaninferno
Levent,

Your opinion of the "best" of the miser's dream would be a dream for many magicians. Especially your thought's, ideas, methodology, etc. regarding this sleight of hand routine and any others you may be willing to offer specifically in reference to large stage applications (my main interest--yes, self interest is raising its' greedy, ugly head).

All is appreciated,

John J
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13419 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
One portion of the DVD might deal with what I will call "impromptu notions".

This would be very appealing to me. The Miser's Dream reminds me of a Multiple Selection routine in cards. You know how it begins, you know how it ends, but you're jazzing in the middle.

Teaching all those Jazz Chords would be nice.
So things like:

Different beginnings. Prop placement, etc.
Excuses for stealing loads in the middle
Where to keep extras
The bucket switches hands and the sneaky stuff you can do in the process
Why switch the bucket anyway
Giving the bucket to a spectator to hold and why that can be a good idea
Transitions to other spectators and how they can help you
Stealing coins from the bucket (not that we ever would even think of that)
Ideas if the worst happens (the emergency kit)
Preparing for the finale

The idea would be to help you learn how continue on forever if you had to (not that you would) but that's what I'm picturing. Learning how to do things on the fly, as it were, can be very useful and important.

So, when completing this post-graduate course, you should be able to appear as if you COULD go on forever. This skill seems very useful to me.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Hi Guys:

I am finally back home, but am super busy getting all of this stuff together. In my studio I have a ton of coin pails, gimmicks and stacks of coins all laid out and ready to go.

I spent most of the day yesterday milling coins and preparing secret gimmicks. One of the last things I must do is cut a metal plate to mount inside my top hat in order to accurately show some of the ideas of T. Nelson Downs.

The list of things that I must cover is huge and I have to start shooting in a couple of days.

Since I now have regular internet access I can now look at this thread regularly.

ASW:

Your comment are too kind!!

I am however currently writing another magic book. It's just not about the Misers Dream.

PAUL JESTER:

I love Pat Page and I think that the work he has done (both on video and print) on the Misers Dream is just terrific! But like David Alexander, I am hesitant to approach Mr. Page with regard to the Misers Dream. I feel that when they are ready to publish this material, they will do it in their own time and their own way.

I knew Sol Stone when I was a young man growing up in New York City and I've always admired his idea from Tarbell 7.

I hope you got a chance to see Al Flosso on YouTube. Flosso was the first person I've ever saw do the Misers Dream and he is my favorite!

HUGMAGIC:

Thanks for the PM

INHUMANINFERNO:

Thanks for your kind thoughts! No doubt, if God grants me the time and opportunity, I would like to release more of my material.

FRANK STARSINI

I am not certain that I can teach a person to improvise the Miser Dream per se.

What I can teach is person is that there is vast variety of moves, ideas, ploys and ruses that can be utilized with a handful of coins and a container. If a person masters all of these moves and has the ability to perform with a free spirit, he could then perform the Misers Dream in an improvisational style.

To me this is a matter of vocabulary. If you only know 3 words, you are greatly limited in the amount of sentences you can write. But if you know 10,000 words you have a greater ability to express yourself. This is the same with the Misers Dream. Hopefully I will be able to expand the vocabulary of this fantastic trick.
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
Can I just send Levent my money now ?

Darn you Levent darn you, I summon the unholy power of Phil the Prince of Heck upon you.

BTW I saw you perform at NYC SAM 1 gala about 2-3 years ago and thought you where the best performer of the evening( to me even better than Norbert's but don't tell him I said so ). THank you for the inspiration to take magic even farther
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
[quote]On 2008-02-14 11:28, paymerich wrote:
Can I just send Levent my money now ?

PAYMERICH:

Thanks for that, you really made me laugh!

Day one of shooting is done! A total of 12 hours of work and I have four more days to go!

Learning all of these versions of the Misers Dream has been exhausting, but I am glad to get it all on video!

Best to all,
Levent (logging footage, late into the night!)
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Day two of the video shoot is done (three more days to go)! At 10:00 PM I ran out of videotape, Just as I began my explanation of T. Nelson Downs' vaudeville act. That was a relief as it is very late and after ten hours of work, I need a good nights rest before I tackle the rest of the Downs material.

Best regards to all,
Levent
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13419 Posts

Keep going. I'm off to bed but you stay up and keep doing good work.
Sleep is very overrated.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1028 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Having bought a Coin Ladder from Chance Wolf, this DVD sounds like a nice resource to complement and expand the routine with this gorgeous prop.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
OK Day three is done! The T. Nelson Downs stuff was a bear. Really tough manipulations! I am now up to the popular routines from the 1950s. I really think I have to put an ice pack on the right hand as all of those silver dollars have strained my muscles.

I am now going to take a break and look at the lunar eclipse with my telescope!

Good night guys.

Levent
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5400 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I know I'm late to the party and the shoot is on going so the script is probably set in stone but you know when all is said and done I'd like to see the Wally Dean elegant wine glass version of the Miser's Dream immortalized on video. It is explained in Bruce Elliott's "Classic Secrets of Magic". I know it is not a knuckle buster per se. but it truly is a classy version.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I hope the Roy Benson version is in the video. I saw Maverick perform it in Nashville at It's Magic theater. It was great. I can't wait to see the DVD.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
GEORGE G:

I've decided to keep the subject of this DVD limited to the use of the Misers Dream as a stage trick that uses a single container, namely a pail or bucket (so no work on the coin ladder). That said I am half way done and so far I've shot seven hours of footage. I don't know how long the video will be when it is edited, but just when limited to just a pail and coins ladder, this subject is quite huge!

HARRY MURPHY:

I will not be covering the Tommy Martin/Wally Dean routine with the wineglass and 11 palming coins. To be quite honest, I've never been excited by this routine, then again I've never seen it actually performed. I have often heard fellow magicians praising this routine, which causes me to re-read it in the Elliott book and for some reason, I just don't understand what the excitement is about?

This is only my opinion. But as described in the book, I get the feeling that the best part of the trick is the wineglass production and the small coins produced afterward is an anti climax. And for the part where you pour the coins out of the glass, wouldn't your hands and coins get wet with the liquid remaining in the glass? Thus making a mess and making the coin sleights even harder to perform?

Remember, I've never seen this trick actually performed and Tommy Martin used to open his act in Vaudeville with it, so it must have some value. But as I read it in "Classic Secrets of Magic", I just don't get the appeal?

But when a magician grabs coins from spectators ears, hair and noses and dumps the coins into a loud pail, well with that I see a universal appeal. This is just my opinion

DARKWING:

You can bet Roy Benson's work will be on the DVD!

Best regards,
Levent
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13419 Posts

Ok. That's enough chit-chat Levant. Back to filming!!!!
Your customers are waiting!! Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Abbott's "Visible Misers Dream" using a fluted tall thick drinking glass was interesting.

If you want the "work" Levent, PM me.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Man this is exciting. Kinda of like that first date with Carol ......
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Lessons on types of coins and coin preparation - Done
Lessons on Coin Productions - Done
Lessons on Coin Vanishes - Done
Lessons on Multiple Coin Vanishes - Done
Lessons on Pail work - Done
Lessons on Secret Gimmicks - Done
Lessons on Finale's - Done

Historical Routines
Robert Houdin - Done
Carl Herrmann - Done
T. Nelson Downs - Done
Jose Frakson - Done
Charlie Miller - Done
Paul Potassy - Done
Roy Benson - Done
My Original Routine that I use in every stage show with a pail that is gaffed in eight different ways and a bunch of new methods - Done

I have one more major 20th Century Routine to perform and explain. Hmmm? I wonder who he could be??

Good Night to all,
Levent

P.S. I have so far shot a total of ten hours of footage. The editing process will be very complex.
Warlock1
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Warlock1
Hi Levent

Please tell me what is on your manipulation DVD.....& where can it be found?

Looking forward to the M.Dream DVD, ......... Your Roy Benson book was

totally Awsom

Best

Warlock1
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
WARLOCK1

On my website is a page that describes the manipulation act DVD. Also on that page is a video of the manipulation act. The 90 minute video is a complete explanation of every trick that I do on the video.

TO EVERYONE ELSE:

Well the Al Flosso routine in Done.

I have 11 hours of video in the can and I will be on tour (starting tomorrow) and for the next three weeks, while I am on the road I will edit the footage down to an instructional DVD.

For those of you that made suggestions that I used and those that sent me information via PM, I have your addresses and I will send you the Misers Dream DVD as soon as they come back from the duplication facility!

Good night to all and thanks for your help and good wishes!

Best regards,
A very tired Levent
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On 2008-02-23 00:49, Levent wrote:
WARLOCK1

On my website is a page that describes the manipulation act DVD. Also on that page is a video of the manipulation act. The 90 minute video is a complete explanation of every trick that I do on the video.

TO EVERYONE ELSE:

Well the Al Flosso routine in Done.

I have 11 hours of video in the can and I will be on tour (starting tomorrow) and for the next three weeks, while I am on the road I will edit the footage down to an instructional DVD.

For those of you that made suggestions that I used and those that sent me information via PM, I have your addresses and I will send you the Misers Dream DVD as soon as they come back from the duplication facility!

Good night to all and thanks for your help and good wishes!

Best regards,
A very tired Levent

Do you have a planned release date?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Do you have any questions about the Misers Dream? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL