The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Publishing for the first time! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
I would like to publish my video but what are the procedures to do so?

I had asked around and people had told me to go to a wholesale warehouse to duplicate hundreds of them.

Well, here are some questions.

1) Where can I find a wholesaler?

2) How am I going to earn from selling them to the magic dealer?

3) Do those magic dealers charge a commission?

4) What happens if the wholesaler duplicates one of my tapes and refuses my service and then takes my tape to publish without my permission?

Thanks for viewing pals
Symmatrix
What We See Is Mainly Depend On What We Look For.
Only Those Who Can See The Invisible Can Do The Impossible.

Symmatrix Magic
Great Scot
View Profile
New user
Bellows Falls, VT USA
58 Posts

Profile of Great Scot
Symmatrix,

I will try to answer your questions:
1. Do a Google Search for Tape Duplicators or Tape Duplication services. You can also look in the yellow pages or ask a video house for a reference.

2. You earn money by selling the tapes at a wholesale price to the dealer, who then resells it at retail.

You can also leave your tapes on consignment with the dealer, in which you give him the tapes to sell for you. When he sells them, he sends you money, after taking a commission for each tape he sold.

3. Yes, that is how they stay in business. They have to do the work of selling the tapes for you, along with all of the overhead with making the sale, i.e., rent, utilities, salaries, telephone, advertising, taxes, insurance, and a profit for themselves.

In a consignment sale, that is why they get a commission, in a wholesale/retail situation, they buy the tapes at a lower price (wholesale) and then sell it at a higher price (retail). The difference between the two is called "mark up" and can be anywhere from 25% to 50% of the retail price.

4. I can't say that it won't happen, but it is unlikely. The duplicater is in the business of making tapes, not selling them, and I don't believe that your tapes would offer much incentive for them to do that, since magic is such a small market, compared to the film industry, where piracy is rampant. Even then, it is not the companies that duplicate the tapes that are copying them, it is individuals looking to make an illegal buck.

If someone does duplicate your tape, then you can prosecute them for copyright infringement, which is a criminal offense, and also sue them for damages.

A word of advice: look at this like a business and get professional help in doing it, such as a lawyer, an accountant, and a business advisor.

You can also see if magic companies will distribute your tapes for you, but then your selling price will be lower than wholesale because the distributor will be selling them at a wholsale price and they have their overhead as well. However, you won't have the hassle of doing the selling yourself and the distributor will have many more customers to offer the tapes to without your having to try selling them to all the magic shops in the U.S., which could cost you time and money to do.
The Great Scot, Bardic Magician
Bringing Magic To People's Lives
http://www.greatscotmagic.com.
Stuart Joseph, 802-463-1954
Bellows Falls VT
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Publishing for the first time! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL