The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Smoke in glass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Swann101
View Profile
Special user
539 Posts

Profile of Swann101
Hi all, Want to add the smoke in glass effect to an upcoming show and had a look at an old video I have of Medhi Talbi. He explains that he uses 'patasium pomegernate' and glycerin as the two chemicals, I have tried it and there is absolutely no chemical reaction there. Is that the right ingredients for the smoke, or did he maybe have the chemicals mixed up? Appreciate the help. Hope I posted this at the right place. Thanx
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
Hydrocloric acid and Ammonia..Howard
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11159 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
If you had no reaction from the first two chemicals you tried, you may be luckier than you know.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3499 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
Realize that ammonia IS ammonia, and an acid is an ACID,
so take care when working with them!

Also take care of where fumes go and where they touch,
there can be a corrosive effect (you finger prints can melt too).
There is a difference between safe and "fairly safe".

Viking may make their version again, that was less hassle, and
I understand there is a good version available out of Spain
and there is a Café thread about it if you search around a bit.

Here is a YouTube clip of one of our members using it,
I just don't like the look of the glass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2bhMt6FLZY&feature=user

Magically,
Walt
George Alexander
View Profile
New user
Hong Kong / UK
67 Posts

Profile of George Alexander
Get the Tapies version - http://www.plasplasplas.com/shop/index.php?language=en. It's great and uses no harmful chemicals.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22867 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2008-02-02 10:39, graywolf wrote:
Hydrocloric acid and Ammonia..Howard

This is a different method then what was asked for information on. This is the old classic method. It has nothing to do with the original poster question.

Post without explanations are dangerous!

It looks like George Alexander suggests a version that may be like what Vito Lupo and Viking Magic offered in a better style.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7438 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
There is a very good version that available in limited supply from John Reid at Cresey Magic. Do a google on David Cresey products. It is not on the site but John has had some a 3 conventions I have seen him at, including last week at Abbott's. It uses the same type of fluid that Vito and Viking used. I saw him put fluid in the beginning of the SAM convention and 5 days later it was still working fine.

The mechanism is totally encased in the stem of the glass. The only thing you could see is two 1/4" contacts on the base of the glass. It is powered by a 9 volt battery which is easily wisked away with the silk. There is also a tray with the contact points built in. The glass runs about $220. I think the tray is about $100. It is the cleanest, most natural look glass I have seen. There is nothing to hide with your hand on the outside of the glass.

WM..if this does not answer all your questions, fire me another email.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1360 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
I have one from Viking I bought a long time ago. I had a lot of trouble with it. In practice it made a lot of crackling noise. Well I used it as a silent spirit thing, and when I did it in my living room for a friend, she said she could hear the noise. They said to use it on stage with music. But I don't do that kind of shows. So I never got to use it in a show. And now, I guess just from age, it does not seem to work anymore. It would be cool if I could send it back for repair. I'll have to contact Viking.

ACE
magicfreak_NV
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of magicfreak_NV
Richard-

just went to Cresey Magic website
contact does not work- says invalid script

Also you have no "PM" button on your post- wierd

how can I contact them?

like to find there version of this

please PM me
as I wont check this topic much

thanks
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22867 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I contacted John and he responded with the following: "the glass and table option are both made by asylum of magic
the price is $225 for the glass alone
and $245 for the optional table base
$450 for both
you don't need the table base to make the glass work but it makes for a much cleaner performance
I have attached a picture of the glass
I currently have one left they were very popular this summer hope this helps." This is all the information given.

Click here to view attached image.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Smoke in glass (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL