The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Dispelling notion of marked cards in MD effects (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
710 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
"I simply (and cleanly) take out the selections out at the said positions by dealing cards face down onto table."

With respect to my last paragraph relating to the 'Whispers' effect there is a gaping kink in my not so cunning plan.(!).I should have given it more thought before posting. don't deal the first few cards onto the table as one would then be disturbing the order of the top set up and would also reveal the face up ace!.One could I guess carefully clump count the first four cards in the hand and then place these cards as a bunch onto the table.The rest of the cards could be reverse counted as per normal....But then one still has to bring the set up aces to the top of the deck again in a controlled cut or shuffle......One could I suppose just count all the cards in the hand...... It is time for me to face the truth.It is probably better to stay with the force! (or use marked cards!!).(LOL)

Back to the drawing board. Yours in embarrassment.Andy.
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
710 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
Todsky, Yes you are right. My brain is clearly not in gear today.I think Scott was wise when he mentioned using the key card principle and a memory stack.This could reveal the identities of all three cards. I shall reflect upon that.

Best wishes. Andy.
kosmoshiva
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
255 Posts

Profile of kosmoshiva
[quote]On 2008-02-07 19:38, Bill Lhotta wrote:
I have to agree. If the spectator thinks they know the solution (even if they are wrong) it is as good (to them) as if they really knew the actual solution. The Magi is the only one who is comforted by knowing they do not know the actual secret, but what does this gain?

It gains you the very powerful ability to undermine their construct by proving them wrong - in a multitude of ways (as this thread attests). Once a spectator believes he has guessed a method, it's much harder for them to undo that belief.

Asides from that, I'm not sure if I'm following the logic of some of this thread - surely marked cards have nothing to do with the mechanics of mem deck work and it's a bit like running when not being chased?
Don't forget to breathe.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2328 Posts

Profile of todsky
Kosmo, the reason I was asking about dispelling the notion of marked cards from mem deck work is because if I was to tell a spec what card they are holding (using mem deck methods), they might be left with the only conclusion (wrongly) that the cards must be marked, because many laymen know about marked decks. And I don't want to leave them with any conclusion at all, except astonishment.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
kosmoshiva
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
255 Posts

Profile of kosmoshiva
Thanks, todsky, got it Smile

So ... when challenged that you're using a marked deck, how about admitting that indeed you ARE and then setting up an experiment so ridiculously difficult that it ends up astonishing? For example, reading the 'marked' card at a distance and with just the briefest flash? Then follow it up with a demonstration of your X-ray vision! Smile
Don't forget to breathe.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2328 Posts

Profile of todsky
That could work, Kosmo. So with each repetition, the test conditions get harder and harder to the point of impossibility, at which moment the person who believed so strongly that the ony solution was marked cards is suddenly left with nothing under his feet, and he is left floating in boggled wonder. I like it.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Iv never been called on "marked cards". I think what you need to do,is be looking and talking to your audience throughout the routine and not looking down at the cards.
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1356 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
When I was very young and doing one of my first walk around gigs, someone wanted to borrow my cards. They were regular cards. I said no, so he found a deck on board(I was working the riverboat.) I continued to work the room, having a card selected and finding it in impossible ways.
Then I heard loud laughing and the astonishment sound coming from OTHER tables.
I though "wait a minute...I'm supposed to be the entertainer"
I crept up to see what was going on. The "guy" had stacked the deck. He was not a magician, he just knew one thing. He had one picked,cut and glimpsed at the bottom card, and called out their card. Quick, simple and to the point. I did not get close enough to see which stack he used. But he could show them mixed and cut them. Any stack would work. Me, I was to lazy to memorize a stack. And I also do the waterfall flourish a lot which mixes the cards pretty well. So I took a needle and etched the name of each card on the pack into the pattern in plain view, but you cannot see if not looking for it.

The moral of the story is: spectators usually have short attention spans.
The quick revelation gets the gasps. Taking so long to find a card(and I always see card men do this) gets boring. If you are a real magician, you should know the card right off. And I've never been accused of using marked decks.
And now "I" get the gasps and laughs.

ACE
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3880 Posts

Profile of JanForster
If I do "real impossible" things using a MD I always give the cards away as a gift announcing that even sometimes before. Or use (Simon Aronson's idea) cards with advertising on their back (i.e. Coca Cola). Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
churken
View Profile
Regular user
California
199 Posts

Profile of churken
For a long time I used a blank back deck when working with the stack. This completely takes away the notion of marked cards and can even be worked into the presentation.

Certainly this limits you in terms of doing deck switches, etc. On the other hand it frees you up with the things you can do with your non-stacked deck. For example, if you have a three of hearts signed in the non-stacked deck you are taking a risk doing a deck switch because the three of hearts in the stacked deck is not signed.

The blank back deck idea might be something you want to play around with. Or not.

Paul
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
Assuming you're not using a marked deck, I have on occasion offered $100 to anyone who can find anything gimmicked about the deck I'm using. Since they can't find anything,I've never had to pay. In fact, I've said it with such confidence that no one has ever even really challenged me on it. Even if they did, I'm in the clear.
scody
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of scody
-- If I do "real impossible" things using a MD I always give the cards away as a gift -- announcing that even sometimes before. Or use (Simon Aronson's idea) cards with
-- advertising on their back (i.e. Coca Cola). Jan

That is a GREAT idea Jan... thanks. I've been giving away my prohibition bottles, especially when impromptu... but giving away the deck after a killer impossible memdeck effect is just great.

thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Dispelling notion of marked cards in MD effects (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL