The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » The Highest Quality of Rope? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
What is the best way to get a hold of Daryl so one can order longer lengths of his rope?

Thanks!

RevJohn
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I have been searching for a good source on some rope and I believe I have one. I have a site http://www.rope.ws where I used to sell 1/4" cotton, but I am out right now. I will be carrying good quality thick rope soon.
Keep me in mind.

-Ian
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Thanks for the link for the rope. I had seen that, but this is for the size Daryl has pre-cut. I am looking for his contact information as mentioned above. This way I can request a different length of rope

Thanks!

RevJohn
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

PM'ed ya!
Walt
by Walt Anthony

dbaronian
View Profile
Regular user
Northridge, CA
199 Posts

Profile of dbaronian
I actually have started a side business selling magicians rope. I currently carry 2 different sizes, 8mm and 10mm. The 8mm ropes are raw natural color, like off whate or cream, the 10mm ropes are bleached white. Both ropes are 100% cotton braided with core, and they come in 100meter (328 feet) coils.You can check it out at http://www.BaronianTrading.com or http://www.MagiciansRope.com. I'm also a member at the Magic Castle and will be participating at the Magic Castle Swap Meet on April 5th. If you have any questions, please contact me at dany@baroniantrading.com.
BaronianTrading.com...your #1 source for magicians' rope.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Dany
Welcome to the magic Café.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
dbaronian
View Profile
Regular user
Northridge, CA
199 Posts

Profile of dbaronian
Quote:
On 2008-03-19 08:01, Al Angello wrote:
Dany
Welcome to the magic Café.

Thank you Al,
I've actually been a member for some time now, I just never really post and haven't been in here for quite some time. I'm usually in the Magic Castle forums.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Thanks for the info Dany I'll have to try your stuff!
Walt
by Walt Anthony

Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Dany
Your rope interests me. Am I correct in assuming that todays magic shop rope is 7/32" wide, but yours rope is 5/16", and 3/8" of an inch respectively?
dbaronian
View Profile
Regular user
Northridge, CA
199 Posts

Profile of dbaronian
Al,
Yes, the ropes that I carry are 5/16" (8mm), and 3/8" (10mm). Let me know if you would like to try some. Or if you're in the Los Angeles area, you can find me at the Magic Castle Swap Meet on April 5th.
You can also email me directly at dany@BaronianTrading.com.

Dany
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Stevens: "Pro" Rope! Hollow braided 30-ft. $20.00
--------------------------------
Empire magic: Deluxe EuroRope, 3/8 inch diameter - 30 foot hank - $8.00 U.S.
Deluxe EuroRope, 3/8 inch diameter - 216 foot spool - $49.50 U.S. (Save $6.50 U.S.)

Super Deluxe EuroRope, 5/8 inch diameter - 30 foot hank - $14.50 U.S.
--------------------------------------------
Baronian: 10 mm or 3/8 inch $60 for 328'
--------------------------------------------------
Magic Ian: used to sell 1/4" $30 300' Now 500' $60
New rope: cored from Loftus List price 3/8" $60 volume price: $28 -300'
also 3/8" cotton with core for $10 for 50'.
------------------------
Daryl thick rope 11 feet $5.75

-------------
I have a problem using the really thick rope for cut and restored and some other intricate rope moves. Plus the ends fray.
----------
The 3/8" cored rope is tolerable.. but I am still partial to a diamond braid cotton over cotton. I have outgrown the cotton 1/4". I don't like the India cotton as the core is stringy and the weave is loose.
---------
If I am not cutting the rope, I like my Linking ropes diameter which is just around 1/2" but I can't seem to match it up with normal rope. The synthetics have no weight to them. The Baronian 3/8" stock can be had anywhere. It looks like a tight enough weave so it won't fray as much.
----------
Top of the line for me is still Empire Euro-rope which unfortunately he doesn't wholesale.
Some comparisons, the smallest is standard 1/4" cotton. The next size is the 3/8" same as Baronians (but his is a tighter weave and the weave is comparable to India rope import), the next size is my Linking ropes, then I have no idea who makes this giant cored rope.

http://stagetricks.com/ropesizes.JPG
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
dbaronian
View Profile
Regular user
Northridge, CA
199 Posts

Profile of dbaronian
Magician(Ian right?),
I bought your ropes before, I think you had said it was the last 300' that you had, they were decent quality..couldn't complain. But then I need to buy more and you were completely out. It was over a year ago. NOW LOOK WHAT YOU'VE CAUSED! The 5/16" ropes have core but are not stringy, and they come in the same color as you had as well. The 3/8" ropes have core as well but the batch that I have right now are stringy, I'm trying to get the manufacturer to make the core like the 5/16". The 3/8" are bleached white and pretty soft texture.

Breakdown for cost/foot..................

Stevens: "Pro" Rope! Hollow braided 30-ft. $20.00 ......approx. .66/ft
--------------------------------
Empire magic:
Deluxe EuroRope, 3/8 inch diameter - 30 foot hank - $8.00 U.S. ....approx .26/ft
Deluxe EuroRope, 3/8 inch diameter - 216 foot spool - $49.50 U.S. ...aprox .23/ft

Super Deluxe EuroRope, 5/8 inch diameter - 30 foot hank-$14.50 U.S. approx .48/ft
--------------------------------------------

Magic Ian:
used to sell 1/4" $30 300' Now 500' $60 ....approx .12/ft
New rope: cored from Loftus List price 3/8" $60 volume price: $28 -300'
also 3/8" cotton with core for $10 for 50'. NOT SURE WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT THE NEW ROPE PART. $60 IS FOR HOW MUCH ROPE? AND $28 IS FOR 300'? .....THE $10 FOR 50FT IS ABOUT .20/FT.

Baronian:
8 mm or 5/16 inch $32 for 328'........comes to .0975/ft
10 mm or 3/8 inch $60 for 328' ........comes to .1829/ft
THIS IS BASED ON PURCHASING 1 COIL, the price starts dropping on multiple orders.
I'll be at the Magic Castle Swap Meet on April 5th if any of you are local. Also, I'm in the process of getting some colored rope in the 3/8", but they won't be available at the MC Swap Meet.
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Rope Wars?

They used to say:
"Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door."
They also used to say:
"Give a man enough rope and he will hang himself."
What have I started with this thread <grin>?

Magically,
Walt
by Walt Anthony

Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Do you have any 1/2", or 5/8" real soft twisted cotton rope.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
No wars, I was only describing the various ropes available. I do not sell any rope right now. I just started listing the Loftus rope due to a contract to buy linking ropes. I am desparately searching for a good rope.
I did actually sell the last rope I had to Baronian. The new rope I can get is from my Jersey supplier and I haven't bought any yet. The list price I mentioned was based on his catalog price.
The purpose of all of the prices I posted was to compare all of the ropes, as we all seem to have descriminating tastes. Alas, all the dealers seem to have similar sources. Yes Walt, you are a trouble maker, but this is a very friendly post all around as you can see that we have all dealt with each other.
-------------
When D. Robbins decided to discontinue the 1/4" cotton rope, I bought close-outs from a similar factory source in Georgia, until the supply finally ran out. At one point, Robbins actually bought some from me to satisfy his customers. My intent was to buy American as long as possible.
----------
But, again, my supply ran out. The only cotton rope was the thin stranded cotton core rope which I really find rough to work with. Not only due to the difference in the core, but due to the formaldehyde that India was using in the water rinse.
-------------
I have been posting as many distributors as I could with their prices, but it is comparing apples to oranges. Only two of the six ropes available are the same.
--------------
The Daryl rope seems to be the most popular along with the parlour sized Euro rope.
I am a jobber and distributor and with a large International customer base, I am always seeking the best deals for my clients. I wasn't "dissing" the Baronian rope, only that it wasn't extroadinary. The way it was described made it sound like it was something unusual. We all can be as competitive as is necessary. I copied the prices as they were posted and never said anything about the best deal.
-------------------
The "new" part of my comment was "new to me". I bought some sample stock and subject to quantity, the price to me will vary enough that I can sell it for a lot less. Probably true of most bulk deals.
----------
I ideally would like a 3/8" cotton casing over a 5 strand cotton core. The India cotton has many many strands and it just feels wrong.
-----------
Obviously Baronian and I are friendly competitors and no derogatory comments were meant. Funny his site is http://www.magiciansrope.com, I tried to get that name. I opted for for http://www.rope.ws cause it was easier to type.
--------
dbaronian
View Profile
Regular user
Northridge, CA
199 Posts

Profile of dbaronian
You guys are too funny. There is no rope war. I was merely breaking down the price per foot just to show what people would be paying. When the prices are listed as Ian had, sometimes it looks deceiving as to what it actually "costs".
Everyone and anyone that performs with ropes are used to a certain type of rope. I know that good quality rope is difficult to find. I first bought about 12,500 meters from a company in China, and after ordering from the sample they sent me, the actual ropes that they ended up sending me was thinner than the sample.

Luckily I sold a small portion of them to some people in the states, and ended up selling the remainder (9k meters) to someone in Australia that makes magic kits. I've sold my new ropes (5/16 and 3/8) to people on ebay and a few good magicians at the Magic Castle. The "Reviews" section in my email are actual responses, I haven't made anything up. I have 2 magicians that purchased a large quantity at one time and they are very happy. I can't disclose who they are, for business reasons, but one of them has a hilarious cut&restore routine and he/she is very well known.

The website http://www.MagiciansRope.com was actually obtained AFTER http://www.rope.ws. I don't know if you had tried to get it before, maybe you had spelled it differently. But I'll sell it to you for a wonderful price of $1,000,000 USD....just kidding, not currently for sale, unless it's an offer that I can't refuse.

Anyway, there's plenty of room for business/competition. Ian was very nice when we communicated before I purchased the ropes from him. Like I said before, if he had the inventory before when I needed ropes, I wouldn't be so tied up Smile
I welcome any competition, there are plenty of different ropes out there (color, texture, quality, etc.). My ropes DO come from India, and are made to MY specifications, they are not ropes that the company just has in stock. I've been back and forth with them to get it right, and currently working on a higher end rope...and if Daryl is reading this then that's great. I'm a one man show, work from my garage, and this is just a side business for me. I'm also in real estate and my full time job is a District Sales Manager for General Motors.

My intention is to become the one source for magicians rope. And inch by inch I will get there.

AND THERE IS NO ROPE WAR! Just comparing red apples to green apples. Smile

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2008-03-20 22:23, Al Angello wrote:
Do you have any 1/2", or 5/8" real soft twisted cotton rope.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Al,
Unfortunately I don't carry any twisted rope. They get untwisted when you work with cut & restor routines or any routine that involves cutting. I only carry cotton braided rope with core at the moment.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Al, Like Dani said, unless you have a specific reason to want twisted cotton, it has a lot of drawbacks.
Now, I can get that twisted from my "horse" supplier, and so can you. Most tack shops carry the twisted cotton as leads. I had some 1" diameter I used for cords of fantasia that were marvelous.
-------------
The absolute best magicians rope I found was hanging off of a high priced umbrella at a restaurant. It was over 1/2" braided cotton over cotton strands and soft as could be. But, alas, no manufacturers label.
----------
There are some great curtain tie-back cords that are available in the fabric shops that are twisted and great colors.
---------------
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I got some 1/2" twisted drapery cord from Dennis Loomis for his rope trick because the Will Rogers snap knot is easier with a soft twisted rope, but when I look at the drapery cords availible at the fabric stores it is too stiff to use, so I would like to find some twisted 1/2" soft cotton rope for that reason.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22443 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Wal-Mart does have cheap cotton rope on sale, it is only about 1/4" in dia. Abbott's sells rope on a huge spool. This is use for the cut and restored rope. It is about 3/8" in dia. Abbott's always carried the best rope to my way of thinking. You could easily pull out the core strings if necessary.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » The Highest Quality of Rope? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL