We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » The Highest Quality of Rope? (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
dbaronian
View Profile
Regular user
Northridge, CA
199 Posts

Profile of dbaronian
Hi Paul, just give it shot, you have nothing to lose.

Dany
BaronianTrading.com
BaronianTrading.com...your #1 source for magicians' rope.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13382 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2008-12-18 10:33, taller8 wrote:
I like the Elite camirand 10mm rope. It's perfect for a Fiber Optics routine. The Daryl rope is nice and soft and thick, but too limp for Fiber Optics.

I bought the 10mm rope, and it still doesn't look as wide as what Richard Sanders uses on the F.O. video. I wonder what thickness he uses?

The Elite rope is great because it holds it's position for F.O. moves.

If you want to perform Fiber Optics, (which is great) try the Elite Camirand rope.

Just my two strands worth.

Paul

I agree 100%. I use both the stage rope and the parlor rope.
The parlor rope is perfect for strolling F.O. or Prof. NM.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
What is the thickest white rope?

What is the thickest red rope?

Posted: Dec 24, 2008 7:43pm
Who sells black rope?
dbaronian
View Profile
Regular user
Northridge, CA
199 Posts

Profile of dbaronian
I have 15mm in white (no core), and 10mm with core in red.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2008-12-24 19:43, Dynamike wrote:
Who sells black rope?

If you can't buy it, dye it. You can dye cotton rope with Rit Liquid Dyes from the grocery store. They come in all colors, including black:

http://www.ritdye.com/Liquids.28.51.5.lasso
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17060 Posts

Profile of joseph
Thanks for the link...I was using Hi-liters in a pinch, which work well...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
I've had problems with the liquid dyes since they don't dye the inside threads. It looks great until you bend and stretch the rope a little, then the white shows up again. I've only experimentd a bit though... Do you have any advice? Do I need a looser weave?

Bill
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
In this world, there is black rope. Dependant upon what you want to do, you can go to a fabric store and find drapery rope with nice satin or silk casings. These are usually soft and pliable and great for non-cutting routines or cords of fantasia.
Another source for black rope are the "fetish" ropes available for bondage freaks.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V......09940710
or
https://www.pleasuresafari.com/store/pro......=84&js=n

Looks like the diameter of elite stage.

or
another one from UK
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/JAPANESE-Soft-BOND......02r27769
3 colors
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Quote:
On 2009-01-03 08:54, Billgussen wrote:
I've had problems with the liquid dyes since they don't dye the inside threads. It looks great until you bend and stretch the rope a little, then the white shows up again. I've only experimentd a bit though... Do you have any advice? Do I need a looser weave?

Bill

You need to pre-soak the rope in boiling water before you begin to dye. You should expect to dye the rope a few times, not just in and out, but let the rope dry, stretch it and flex it, and if you notice white spots, back into the boiling dye it goes. I didn't say it would be quick and easy; just that it works, and like everything, it works better or worse depending on the effort you put into making it work. We are too used to TV dinners, I think.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
First, thanks for the great advice.

How long is a good pre-soak? Do you let it dry after the pre-soak, or does it go right into the dye after?

I'm not looking for quick and easy. If I wanted that, I wouldn't have even bothered trying to dye it myself in the first place. I'd just be looking for people who sell colored rope. But I am looking for pointers from people like yourself who've had success.

Thanks again,
Bill
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks for the advice and info guys.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Pre-soak: ten minutes in boiling water should do it. You can then pour the dye into the boiling pre-soak water, or lift the rope out and drop it right into the hot boiling dye in a separate container (if making different colors at one time). I get small stainless steel pots from the Dollar Store to use for this, cheap enough to have a separate one for each color of dye.
Professor Spellbinder

Billgussen
View Profile
Elite user
Central Japan
498 Posts

Profile of Billgussen
Thanks Professor! I'll try it out!!

Bill
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24098 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Walt, thank you for starting this thread. I also want to thank all who kept participating to keep answering the questions and showing the links. I now have less investigating to do in finding out what fits in with my act the best. Thanks again for narrowing it down for us, guys.

Peace,

Dynamike
yachanin
View Profile
Inner circle
Cleveland, OH
2077 Posts

Profile of yachanin
Quote:
On 2008-10-01 03:02, magicmanfrank wrote:
I have purchased Dany's 10MM - 3/8" Rope and can
honestly say that it is EXCELLENT Rope!!! Smile

=Frank=

I'll have to second what Frank has said. I just received my order of rope from Dany (10mm with core) and it is excellent rope! It has a good feel and nice "heft" to it. Check it out: http://baroniantrading.com/Ropes.html

I'll be using it for my routine with some Fiber Optics moves and for the Mongolian Pop-Knot (just starting to work on that). Delivery was quick and Dany answered all of my (many) questions quickly and thoroughly. Great customer service. In fact, I think of all those with whom I've dealt in magic, "rope" people are among the nicest and most helpful (for example, Ian is as nice a gentleman with whom one could ever hope to do business).

Regards, Steve
dbaronian
View Profile
Regular user
Northridge, CA
199 Posts

Profile of dbaronian
Hello Steve,
Just saw your post. Thank you for your kind words. I hope to hear from you agian very soon.
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Gary Kosnitzky
I use Denny & Lee's Deluxe Soft White Rope (216 Foot Spool) from Fun, Inc.
This is a classically beautiful clean bright white rope. Although it is a very soft rope,it is also versatile for all of your rope routines. This rope is highly visible enough for stage or platform. This rope really feels good and is economically the wisest decision. Denny also sells it in 30' Hanks. I recommend the 216 Foot spool of 3/8" thick rope. Saves you money in the long run. Buy this rope by the spool and stop running out whenever you need rope.

Price: $55.00 for one- 216 Foot Spool 3/8" White Rope

Disclaimer: I am not an employee of Denny & Lee's, nor do I have any interest in touting any one specific dealers shop. I know I always send folks to Denny's but let's be real. I personally think Denny is the most knowledgable, sincerely old school - caring about making you a better magician guy left. If you're ever in Las Vegas you better visit Tom, he manages at Denny & Lee's Las Vegas Studio. Scott also is there. There are probably well over 1000 items in the Las Vegas store and Scott knows where each one is - amazing. Both these guy's have almost 100 years experience between them, add Denny and you got almost 300 years! Don't be surprised if you run into a magician or 2 you have just seen on TV there reading the new magic magazine.
Rediscover a lost art.

www.jadoosmagic.com
dbaronian
View Profile
Regular user
Northridge, CA
199 Posts

Profile of dbaronian
Hello All,
I wanted to let you all know that I now sell the High Leverage Shears on my website along with the ropes. I've been selling these Shears at the Magic Castle Swap Meet and have had great success. I finally updated my website with the shears. They are EXCELLENT! They're the same ones that Michael Finney uses, and they cut great. It cuts EVERY time with one try, cored or uncored.

Also, regarding the 3/8" spool from Garys post...I sell them for $50.25 and in a 328ft coil.

Dany
dbaronian
View Profile
Regular user
Northridge, CA
199 Posts

Profile of dbaronian
Hi guys,
Just wanted to let you all know that on October 10 the Magic Castle will be having their Magic Castle Swap Meet. If you are local or plan on being there, you can find me selling my ropes and shears in the Palace. Hope to see you there.

Dany Baronian
http://www.BaronianTrading.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4423 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Hope this is the right place for this question.

So I've had the acrobatic knot by Daryl for a long time- but I can't find my "ropes". I was wondering if anyone knows how to make that type of rope? Im sure I have head Daryl says they are knitted. But I am wondering what sort of "knitting" is used?

Does anyone have any ideas?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » The Highest Quality of Rope? (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL