The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Cocktail Card Magic by Bill Abbott - Book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14447 Posts

Profile of Review King
This book is getting high praise.

http://penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=9973

Bill Abbott's "Professional Man of Mystery Collection" Presents...

Cocktail Card Magic

All around you are people that seem to know each other. They're laughing, engrossed in conversation, busy eating and drinking. You on the other hand are hired to 'entertain' these busy people with your magic, and at that precise moment you wish you could be anywhere else. One thing is keeping you from disappearing from the party.

You've been paid to be there.

Walk-around magic, strolling magic, roving magic, mingling sorcery, cocktail conjuring, etc. It has been given many names but it all boils down to the same thing, crashing people's otherwise meaningful conversations and consummation of expensive food and alcohol, with your magic.

Contents:

Forward - by David Acer
The Art Of Cocktail Magic
Blockbuster
Autograph
CTRL+ALT+DELETE
Invisible Origins Revealed
Ultra-Mental Mingling
Pages - 26 -Black and White photos and full color cover - Saddle Stitched

Praise For Cocktail Card Magic...

"Bill Abbott's Cocktail Card Magic gets my highest recommendation. Bill's objective is to entertain his audiences, use methods that work under fire and he takes the responsibility of making magic fun very seriously. His advice about working walk-around gigs is advice I think everyone should read. It's worth much more than the price of the book. The routines are all top notch and it's easy to see that they have been polished over thousands of performances. The one issue I have with the book is that Bill decided to dedicate it to Bob Sheets and not me. If you can overlook that, buy this book."
- Bill Malone - CEO Of Comedy Magic

"I love this book. Bill has nailed the essence of that often awkward position we have to fill. His words of advice on how to handle yourself in that (sometimes) uncomfortable situation of cocktail magic, is worth the price of the book and the routines are inspired. I love it that Bill has figured out that the trick is not the thing... but that it is the 'ringmaster of fun' that is the real reason for us being there. I hope that this way of thinking inspires more of the workers out there to pack lots of visual and fun magic into a short window."
- Doc Eason - 2004 Bar Magician of the Year

"Bill Abbott has finally drawn important distinctions regarding performing in cocktail-party settings, doing it succinctly, concisely, and with clarity and good humor. The way this book looks and reads immediately draws you in and makes you care about the 'right stuff' for the ‘right people' in the 'right places.' Add "sharp focus" (your own), stir gently, and serve."
- Jon Racherbaumer - Author and Cocktail-Party Crasher

"Bill Abbott's "Cocktail Magic" is one of the finest values available today for the working, walk around performer. Bill's theory on performing in a cocktail environment is worth ten times the price of the booklet. I have been working cocktails for over 15 years and I still learned some very valuable information from Bill's book that I will apply directly to my craft. The effects in the manual are absolute killers. Each effect contains a script, funny lines, great bits of business and smart psychology. The effects are all instantly repeatable with little or no reset, which is of prime importance for the working pro. Bottom line, if you are at all interested in the field of Cocktail Magic, either as a beginner or as a seasoned pro...GET THIS BOOK!"
- Richard Sanders - Canada's Other Favorite Magician
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Newb2
View Profile
Elite user
453 Posts

Profile of Newb2
I was thinking about picking this up soon, but does anyone have a quick review?
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4632 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I've seen the FIRST version, which was fantastic. The material is good, and the advice is even better. If you are interested in this type of material, this is a must have.

By the way- Kudos to Bill on the top notch production values!
If you're reading this you're my favorite magician.
AmazingKeithy
View Profile
New user
Round Rock, Texas
99 Posts

Profile of AmazingKeithy
I just purchased this book two days ago and am very excited about the contents. While I have not yet had a chance to read through the effects I have read the chapter “The Art of Cocktail Magic” and believe it to be 100% on target based on my limited experience performing in this venue.

Along the same vein, I have been listening to a podcast for a couple of years called the Manager Tools Podcast. This is a very professionally produced podcast covering all things related to management. While I do not manage others in my real life, I believe this to be extremely valuable information for anyone who thinks they may aspire to management. The main reason I bring this up, though, is a subset of their podcasts that I refer to as Manager Tools Lite. These podcasts tend to focus on how to appropriately interact in a professional setting and there is much application for the professional or part time professional magician. A few of these topics are as follows:

How to Introduce People
How to be Effective in Everyday Conversations
How to Write a Thank You Note
How to Politely Become Part of a Group
Secrets of a Great Handshake

The ones I believe may be of particular interest to fans of Cocktail Card Magic and which seem consistent with Mr. Abbott's philosophy are:

How to Introduce People

To listen to any of these podcasts, one can go to http://www.manager-tools.com and look under the Resources menu under Resources/Podcasts/List All Podcasts. It may require membership to listen to older material but I believe this is free. This podcast is also available via iTunes.

Best Wishes,

Keith Mitchell
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2861 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On 2008-03-30 20:52, AmazingKeithy wrote:
I just purchased this book two days ago and am very excited about the contents. While I have not yet had a chance to read through the effects I have read the chapter “The Art of Cocktail Magic” and believe it to be 100% on target based on my limited experience performing in this venue.

Along the same vein, I have been listening to a podcast for a couple of years called the Manager Tools Podcast. This is a very professionally produced podcast covering all things related to management. While I do not manage others in my real life, I believe this to be extremely valuable information for anyone who thinks they may aspire to management. The main reason I bring this up, though, is a subset of their podcasts that I refer to as Manager Tools Lite. These podcasts tend to focus on how to appropriately interact in a professional setting and there is much application for the professional or part time professional magician. A few of these topics are as follows:

How to Introduce People
How to be Effective in Everyday Conversations
How to Write a Thank You Note
Secrets of a Great Handshake

The ones I believe may be of particular interest to fans of Cocktail Card Magic and which seem consistent with Mr. Abbott's philosophy are:

How to Introduce People

To listen to any of these podcasts, one can go to http://www.manager-tools.com and look under the Resources menu under Resources/Podcasts/List All Podcasts. It may require membership to listen to older material but I believe this is free. This podcast is also available via iTunes.

Best Wishes,

Keith Mitchell

Keith,
Thanks for posting this resource. I just registered.
Lots of great information. Just what I need, more time at the computer.
Thanks again.
David Paul
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
Michel Huot
View Profile
Regular user
Montreal
188 Posts

Profile of Michel Huot
I can't give you a review because I don't own the book...YET! But let me just say that when a pro 'talks' we should all listen. Bill is a pro and he understands the word 'entertainment'.
Tricks aren't important...people are!!!
AmazingKeithy
View Profile
New user
Round Rock, Texas
99 Posts

Profile of AmazingKeithy
Quote:
Keith,
Thanks for posting this resource. I just registered.
Lots of great information. Just what I need, more time at the computer.
Thanks again.
David Paul

David,

You're welcome. I hope you find something of use to you there.

Keith
ererer
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of ererer
Thank you for bringing this to my attention! Will the advise also suit other walk around enviornments like restaurants and bars?
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Does it also include how to get higher wages?
Cards never lie
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Any more input on this book?
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
ererer
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of ererer
I got this a few weeks ago and its probably the best advice ive read on walk around magic. 3 very practical effects and no heavy sleights or anything! The advice is unmissable. Do yourself a favour and get this!
aussiemagic
View Profile
Special user
937 Posts

Profile of aussiemagic
Thanks! I just ordered!

It sounds good.
How to become a professional magician:
Click here
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1231 Posts

Profile of Jared
The cost of this booklet seemed a bit pricy at $25.00 for just three effects, but one could argue that 'Contrl-Alt-Delete' is worth the price of admission. Having performed the mechanics of Bill's routine, I'll tell you firsthand that it's indeed KILLER. If you perform in strolling envirnments you'll want to add this routine to your set. The first couple of pages of the booklet also contain some great advice.

-Jared
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1535 Posts

Profile of Markymark
Exactly! I think his card to wallet from the same book is worth the price of admission on it's own.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1025 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I've also been very impressed with Bill's books.

I love his presentation of the Omni Deck, and also "Blockbuster!"
Author of PERFORM...all the stuff to think about

Over 450 pages, hardcover, full color

"I loved this book!" - Ken Weber

"The amount of thought Tim puts into every detail of his performance is something we can all learn from, and you can tell he has thousands of shows worth of experience." - Christopher Carter

Foreword written by Joshua Jay

Tim's book and other goodies to help performers here...

[email]tim@pkshow.com[/email]
WizzBang
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of WizzBang
Well I'm a Bill Abbott fan. All his material is top notch.
It was a pleasure to read a concise book that gets to the point.
I don't think it's pricey at all
andykean
View Profile
Special user
U.K - Now living in New Zealand Auckland
817 Posts

Profile of andykean
Ordered my copy. Check out Bill's new website its cool!
Adam Wood
View Profile
Loyal user
Ontario, Canada
225 Posts

Profile of Adam Wood
My first experience with Bill Abbot's magical genious was The Thing and have enjoyed his other effects as well. I was one of the many who didn't purchase this book based soley on the fact that there was only 3 effects. After reading the posts here I believe it's time to add this to my collection! Smile
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” -Doug Henning

"Don't make magic impossible, make impossible magic!" - Adam

PEACE, LOVE & MAGIC!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Cocktail Card Magic by Bill Abbott - Book (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL