The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Hospitality Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Lou,

I carry most of it in the Hospitality case (I have the Charvet version) Inside the case I have a vinyl pencil case with all the color, mixing chart and funnel for teh milk pitcher. I also changed out teh small milk pitcher that came with it in favour of a crystal cut pitcher(see picture). I also carry a small cooler with the real drinks. Of course the table I use is used for other effects as well. I use to used the waiters stand but found it to be to cumbersome to move it around and so I now use a roll on table (see picture).

I should have mentioned to INMOTION in my previous post that it helps to use warm to hot water inside the milk carton.....the "ingredient" your talk about will dilute better. Also I don't bother with the ice cubes. The drinks are cold enough from the cooler.

All the best,

John

Click here to view attached image.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Guess I can only upload one pic at a time...here's the table.

John

Click here to view attached image.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
I also seem to have trouble typing the word THE....LOL

So to complete my disjointed thoughts...inside the case is the milk carton, pencil case with drink colours, a few white bar towels to dress up the bar, a supply of glasses, and the crystal milk pitcher.

John....now I'm going for a drink!!!
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2222 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Hey John,

Your pitcher looks exactly what I use. Thanks for the tip on the water. I'll definitely use warm water for best results.
Your table is very practical. I'll have to find something like that. I'm just using a folding TV tray for now. It should definetely be in casters.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Lou,

The table works great. The nice thing is that it can be used for other routines in the same show. Just switch off one prop for another. I got my table base from Daytona Magic and built the table top myself. It`s just 3/4 ply covered with Ozite(sp?) on both sides and trimed with aluminium molding. No need to buy one and have to pay for the shipping.

John
Cashetta
View Profile
Regular user
Rehoboth Beach, DE
128 Posts

Profile of Cashetta
I also pack most everything into the actual case. I also use a waiter stand and find them in most venues so I usually ask in advance to borrow one.
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Quote:
On 2008-02-06 08:30, John1964 wrote:
I should have mentioned to INMOTION in my previous post that it helps to use warm to hot water inside the milk carton.....the "ingredient" your talk about will dilute better.

John,

What do you do then for the final drink? Do yo not hand it out?
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
All of them will be cold except that last one poured, which is the lemonade. It tastes lemony but is warm. Most people won't drink it, but will confirm it's real when asked. That's all I need from them.

John
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2222 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
One more question: Do you add ice to your drinks or just serve them as is (lukewarm) or cold? If you add ice, when do you prepare that? Is the ice necessary or not?
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
We usually perform this after intermission, if we have one. The trick is set before the show with the exception of the real drinks and the prep for the glasses. I do this final set up during the intermission. It really only takes five minutes. I have the "recipes" on a card, so it goes rather quickly. I don't use ice as the drinks come right out of the cooler and we perform the trick probably within 20 minutes of setting the drinks.

John
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Quote:
On 2008-02-07 11:52, John1964 wrote:
All of them will be cold except that last one poured, which is the lemonade. It tastes lemony but is warm. Most people won't drink it, but will confirm it's real when asked. That's all I need from them.

John

That's what I thought too. I used Hospitality in the show for a few years. I got burned a couple times with sour expressions and mentions that it was warm. I was just curious.

I used to do the routine early in the show. I quit doing it just because it was too much work to get the drinks for each show and worry about pouring them right before the show. Now I use it for repeat shows and/or local shows.

MK
Cashetta
View Profile
Regular user
Rehoboth Beach, DE
128 Posts

Profile of Cashetta
It can be tough to keep it all cold before the performance. I have the same issue with the lemonade. I've considered having an ice bucket with those little tongs and adding ice before serving. Of course that may not really work if you use milk Smile
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2222 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Quote:
On 2008-02-07 22:13, Cashetta wrote:
It can be tough to keep it all cold before the performance. I have the same issue with the lemonade. I've considered having an ice bucket with those little tongs and adding ice before serving. Of course that may not really work if you use milk Smile

I'm also considering on adding ice before serving them but it looks like this would add a dull moment to the repertoire. At least, with this action, the people taking the drinks will apreciate it, but then, they just need to confirm if the drinks are real or not. I presume no one will drink all of it but simply taste it.
On the other hand, if you hand your drinks to kids, that's another story.
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
I just had an idea -- what if the liquid in the carton was not just warm but HOT and the last drink was hot chocolate? You could have a stirrer ready.
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
Brilliant Michael!!! Specially up here in the cold north east. Great idea. I don't know about the rest of the country, but around here (Plattsburgh, New York) you can buy Swiss Miss hot chocolate mix. The sell them in individual packets that would be perfect to carry with the color mixes.

Thanks Michael,

John
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Yeah no problem - give it a try and let me know how it works. Maybe I'll try it next time I do the bit! I think it would add a neat dimension to the trick to have both hot AND cold drinks poured from the same container! (Also adds another logistical problem of keeping cold drinks cold and hot drinks hot)
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
For the final drink to be cold is not much of a problem just a little hassle, when setting up for hospitality, I have a small cooler that I keep every thing in, and I usually place the water in the freezer for 4-5 hours prior to leaving for the gig. Stays nice and cold for the Lemonade.
INMOTION
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
182 Posts

Profile of INMOTION
I throw a stir stick in my lemonade for obvious reasons, and have my assistant stir while I am removing the tray. Once the tray is removed we add stir sticks to each drink then hand them out... I think the Hot Chocolate is a great idea, and makes more sense for using the stir stick... Keeping the drinks cold is one thing, how are you going to get and keep the liquid hot? Thermos maybe?
cardone
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of cardone
Nice idea Mr Kent !!!
John Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of John Martin
I doesn't have to be super hot. Hot water from the tap when you set it up would be fine. By showtime it might be luke warm which would be ok. Remember the audience isn't PAYING for the drinks...so you won't have any complaints. All you need is confirmation that ther drink is real.

John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Hospitality Routine (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL