The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Tarbell Course vs Mark Wilson (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Angio333
View Profile
Regular user
130 Posts

Profile of Angio333
I am considering buying either Mark Wilson's book or the complete Tarbell Course. If I buy the Tarbell course, I would be able to have all 8 volumes in about 3 - 4 months.

Would one would you reccomend for a beginner? I know a few tricks that use gimmicks, and I am working on learning Sponge balls.

Also, it is my understanding that the Tarbell course is available on CD, but it is somewhat different than the books. Besides layout, what is the difference?
- C
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Save up for Tarbell's you will NOT regret it. Get the hardbound books and not the CD.

Pick up Wilson's book in the bargain bin at Borders, probably for under $10 and you will have a great book, with a ton of info to go through while waiting for your Tarbell set Smile
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Louisville, KY
666 Posts

Profile of Bedford
Quote:
On 2008-02-03 15:38, tmoca wrote:
Save up for Tarbell's you will NOT regret it. Get the hardbound books and not the CD.

Pick up Wilson's book in the bargain bin at Borders, probably for under $10 and you will have a great book, with a ton of info to go through while waiting for your Tarbell set Smile

I second this. Definitely Tarbell, and the books not the CD. Plus with Tarbell you can save yourself a ton of money on all the "new" effects now on the market that were originally published there in the first place.
The Alchemy Moon Collective
Find us on Gemini Artifacts
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Tarbell, if the essays are read and you work through the material, is a great set of books. Wilsons is also very good and gives you a wide assortment of magic effects. I turn to Tarbell far more often than Wilson.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6998 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I have the CD and love it. It's the original course. What's wrong with it?

Mark Wilson course is great. Although I would have liked to have seen more crediting in the Wilson course.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Nothing wrong with the cd, but some folks prefer to have the books. Besides, it hurts when you fall asleep reading in bed, and the computer falls on your face. Books are softer. Seriously though, it's just a preference thing, for me. I just don't like reading books on the computer screen.

Anyway, back on topic, I prefer Tarbell's to Wilson's, though Wilson's is a good book. It's just the way I was brought up (in a magical sense).
What would Wavy do?
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
There is much more in the books than what is found in the original version as found on the CD, I think there are 90 effects on the CD.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6998 Posts

Hi, Magic Santa. There are a lot more than 90 effects on the CD.

I think that vol. 7 is not found at all on the CD. But wasn't that the volume edited by H. Lorayne? Although I could be wrong...
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
tian_ci
View Profile
Elite user
Knoxville, TN
477 Posts

Profile of tian_ci
Neither, get card college. That's the way to go friend.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Cameron, are you talking about Tarbell on CD as in the books or the original mailouts? I wasn't aware that Tarbell the books was on CD (and no one needs volume 8 unless they have a table that has a short let). If you don't mean just the original correspondance course then you are correct sir.

Tian, if he wants to learn magic overall why would he get Card College? If he asked what to get to learn card magic that would be the logical selection that that wasn't what he asked for.
donwaman
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of donwaman
I would suggest Mark Wilson course first. It doesn't have the complicated slights that are time consuming for a beginner. That book will give you plenty to present while you practice the tarbell routines.
Don
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York City
8483 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Just to keep the record straight, I didn't "edit" Tarbell #7 - I wrote it. And you know something? I'm biased, of course, but I'd recommend LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, but only if you want to learn card magic. HL
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
My suggestion is that you really should aim for both of them. Go for Wilson first as it will "feed the need". Then get Tarbell. Being a mentalist more than magician, I don't refer to Tarbell as much as other books, but I do still refer to it.

If you are already have a good basis in magic, pass on Wilson for now and get Tarbell as Wilson is aimed more toward beginners. It is still a good book though.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Wilson is very good for those new enough to not really be sure they want to learn magic. It is a very solid book. Get Harry's book cuz he asked you to.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6998 Posts

MagicSanta, no it's just the original course and post graduate course. Vol. 7 is not included.

The CD from lbrary.com, which contains the original 60 lessons, is 1646 pages. Each lesson contains at least four tricks. So we're talking 240 tricks at the very least. But there are more. Not sure where your getting 90 from.

Although the real gold in these lessons aren't the tricks. It's the essays.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I get it from a faulty memory! I aften confuse 60 with 90!
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
No question - Tarbell
Cards never lie
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Tarbell also gets my vote. Eight volumes that have so much magic in them you will be embarrassed at the riches that await you.

The Mark Wilson course is good, but in my mind the Tarbell volumes are far more substantive and are not restricted to effects. Many of the essays are just as meaningful today as when Tarbell wrote them years ago.

By the way, get the BOOKS, NOT the CD. The CD is the original course. The books are the "new, expanded" course and the ones most referenced when people talk about the Tarbell course.

One last suggestion: check out Harry Lorayne's "The Magic Book".

Best,
Vlad
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1807 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2008-02-03 20:07, tian_ci wrote:
Neither, get card college. That's the way to go friend.

I believe he wants to learn more than just card magic.
Get Tarbell & The Mark Wilson Course as you will not regret it.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
They're both worth having. Assuming you can't have both, I'd say Tarbell. I'd rather go without Mark Wilson's book than the Tarbell series.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Tarbell Course vs Mark Wilson (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL