The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Thought of card revelations (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Lseeyou
View Profile
Inner circle
1271 Posts

Profile of Lseeyou
DT3 great! I knew that you had used Q5 "i was able to read your mind... now I can't" Smile

Thanks for the link, I send an e-mail to Windley and made the order. Yep for $10 it's a bargain.
I will wait (can't wait) for this and see if it's ok for me too.

Cheers
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2008-02-04 16:55, entity wrote:
I've lots more to say in the e-book, but it's no longer available, sorry to say, and if I share much more here, those who bought it might not approve.
- entity

Will you be re-issuing it?
:)
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2008-02-06 18:16, Don Theo III wrote:
It also cut my dirty work time in half. I love this tool, but I think its real beauty is when it is heavily ensconced in presentation, instead of just "think of a card" fumble, fumble, produce.

I have never used one but I would like to. Just how much fumbling is needed to produce a card? Does this new one need a lot of presentation to cover the work being done?
Any advice is greatly appreciated
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2008-02-06 16:55, TT2 wrote:
Armando Lucero developed a gorgeous "think-a-card" routine that is beautiful to watch and absolutely devastating in effect. He calls it, "The Empanada."
You can read about the routine at http://www.armandolucero.com
Click on workshops and then on, "Pasteboard Devices."
Ian Rowland gives us his own thoughts on this effect on page 3. I think you will find them both interesting and enlightening.
-JF

Sounds great but could you please say what the spectator sees?
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
Of course proper presentation is necessary, but the same would be true if you were doing a self working card trick.

With an hour or so of practice you can get to it rather quickly.

PW is a very strong tool and mentalists create absolute miracles and get away with it. With an i***x, you get to where you are going in about a fourth of the time.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Quote:
On 2008-02-07 13:27, teejay wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-02-04 16:55, entity wrote:
I've lots more to say in the e-book, but it's no longer available, sorry to say, and if I share much more here, those who bought it might not approve.
- entity

Will you be re-issuing it?

I have no plans to re-issue the ebook, but I may, some time down the road, issue a DVD as a companion piece to the book, performing and explaining all of the material. It won't be any time soon, though.

- entity
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Quote:
On 2008-02-07 14:00, teejay wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-02-06 16:55, TT2 wrote:
Armando Lucero developed a gorgeous "think-a-card" routine that is beautiful to watch and absolutely devastating in effect. He calls it, "The Empanada."
You can read about the routine at http://www.armandolucero.com
Click on workshops and then on, "Pasteboard Devices."
Ian Rowland gives us his own thoughts on this effect on page 3. I think you will find them both interesting and enlightening.
-JF

Sounds great but could you please say what the spectator sees?

I'd rather not as this is a trademark piece of Lucero's.

My comments (and link) were more regarding some history for this effect and the impact it has on people, magician/mentalist or layperson alike. I personally find what Ian Rowland has to say very telling. A person will remember this type of effect for many years to come, if not the rest of their lives, when presented properly.

Armando's is the best and cleanest "think a card" I've ever seen - it's very beautiful to watch and I'd put it up against any piece of magic or mentalism with cards that I've seen. It just doesn't get any better, IMHO.

Please note these are just my opinions and experience and by no means the "holy word" on the subject. I'll leave that to entity Smile (whose work I hear has merit and is also quite effective.)

-J
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
vai
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of vai
Quote:
On 2008-02-07 14:15, entity wrote:

....I may, some time down the road, issue a DVD as a companion piece to the book, performing and explaining all of the material. It won't be any time soon, though.

- entity

Bear me in mind and keep us updated on that, I for one would be very interested !
Check out my releases at http://stores.lulu.com/mentalism
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
Me too.

Mescalito
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
There is very little on this subject that cannot be done with a very simple s* s****** set up.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Okay.

I place a card face down on the table and don't touch it again.

I ask the participant to name any card in the pack. They do.

They turn the tabled card face up. It is the card that they named.

Please explain how that might be done with a S* S****** setup.

I have one participant think of any card in the pack. Another participant, without knowing how they are doing it, tells the first which card she is thinking of.

Please explain how that might be done with a SS setup.

Two people think of playing cards in the pack. They don't cut to cards, peek at cards or otherwise single out cards physically in any way. I remove two cards from the pack, and both participants are amazed that I've found their cards.

SS setup for this?

Two people think of cards in a pack without singling them out physically, picking them out of the pack, or peeking by lifting a corner, etc. The performer cuts the pack into two halves and deals cards simultaneously from the tops of each half, at the same time, onto the table. He asks the participants to say "stop" when each one sees their card. Both participants say stop, seeing their cards at exactly the same time.

Can you do this with SS, Carolini?

- entity
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2430 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Yeah right... SS... What's the point?

Besides,
Quote:
On 2008-02-05 18:38, vai wrote:
Some very interesting approaches and ideas here, let's keep them going !.

It seems people are favouring the more impromptu variations on the effect but I'm curious if anyone feels that there are any of the more setup heavy versions which are worth the extra effort ?.

I know that in a paid performance, I would be much more likely to opt for one of the sure-fire methods as opposed to a psychological force (well, at least have one as an out anyway).

How do your choices differ (if at all) between planned/paid and impromptu performances ?

I mentionned Tommy Wonder's routine Elisabeth IV and you post an answer telling that there are "some very interesting approaches and ideas here", to which I agree (it's the purpose of this kind of thread...), but then you say that "It seems people are favouring the more impromptu variations on the effect but I'm curious if anyone feels that there are any of the more setup heavy versions which are worth the extra effort ?".... ???

Elisabeth IV is no way near Impromptu and the setup, which I wouldn't describe as VERY heavy, does require some props...

And nobody reacts to that...? The result is extraordinary! It's 100% surefire, no force and no i***x!!!! So I really think it IS worth the extra effort.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
The S. S. thing is very good and useful under certain circumstances, but to say that most thought-of card effects can be accomplished using it is a limiting statement.

Don't stop thinking at S.S. Use it for what it's best for, but also investigate other approaches and ideas that may broaden your knowledge and make performing mentalism with cards more practical, fun and astounding to your audiences.

- entity
vai
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of vai
Goldeneye007 - Sorry if you felt that I was in some way suggesting that Elisabeth IV is not worth the effort, that was not the intention of my post.

I have simply not encountered Elisabeth IV before and therefore didn't feel that I could comment on it.

My post was purely to encourage more contributions to the thread by observing a trend in the effects I was familiar with and asking if anyone favoured a different approach.

Your post is exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for and I will endeavour to find out more about Elisabeth IV as it sounds like a great effect

All the best

David
Check out my releases at http://stores.lulu.com/mentalism
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1042 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Quote:
On 2008-02-07 22:20, entity wrote:
Okay.

I place a card face down on the table and don't touch it again.

I ask the participant to name any card in the pack. They do.

They turn the tabled card face up. It is the card that they named.

Can't believe I missed out on this, I hope you do release this, I have a messy way of doing this using indexes that I don't like performing. Could you perhaps point me towards some reference that maybe started you out on this effect, if any?
Help is mucho appreciate
Nick Wait
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Nick:

Several people have their own approaches to this sort of thing. The one that I included in my e-book, A CARD MERELY THOUGHT OF... is one that I learned many years ago from my mentor in Canada. I've added a couple of refinements.

Apparently Rannie (who posts on the Workers forum) has his own version, and as mentioned by Jerome, Armando Lucero has his own variation.

- entity
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2430 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Hello vai (David)!

No problem at all! I hope my post didn't sound harsh... It wasn't meant to be.

Elisabeth IV is REALLY a great routine. There is a steup and you will need some props, but it won't cost a lot (less than $15 probably), and it's one of Tommy Wonder's routine you will be able to perform :there are very few that are practical for a non-genius... Smile, most of them require weeks of work, only to make the props. For this one you'll need perhaps 10 min of work, of easy work. And then the presentation is not that difficult. The approach is really original.

I respect your post and think it is a really interesting one: it will make a good contribution to all of us.

Don't hesitate if you have any questions!

Best!

Ben
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2430 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
As for the SS, I mainly use it for ACAAN effects or mentalism type of things, but not for a "Thought of Card" effect. But it sure is possible, though I don't know any good routines that use it.
Montethrower
View Profile
Elite user
a little town in nowhere
422 Posts

Profile of Montethrower
I'll mention Sal Piacente's '4-5-6 Packet Trick.' Yeah, I know a lot of you guys won't touch a card DVD come Hell or High Water, but this is really worth it. If you've got a modicum of audience control, you can perform this stunner.

Best,

Monte
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
The thread is losing it's focus a bit. This may be because posters are talking about
2 premises:
PREDICTING a card before they pick it and
MIND READING a card after the spec has chosen it
If we consider MR, my favourite is the C.....c F...e then telling them the card
Is this the cleanest of all? You let them select ANY card then tell them.
Surely the CF SEEMS the cleanest and fairest way of selection and the reveal is so fair and clean. No wallet,tricky deck or envelope. What do you think?
Do you agree? There is one problem. My CF isn't good enough yet LOL
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Thought of card revelations (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL