We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Green Screen Fun (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
Messing around with green screen...

http://www.cardenfilms.com/flip.mov

Enjoy!
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
BlackDove
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of BlackDove
Wow! That was really cool, good job!

Calvin Lauber
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Grant,

I like the idea. That's a nice effect.

What are you using for the keying? It looks like you've got a little reflection issues on the back trunk and on the fenders. Also, I'd play around with the alpha opacity for the shadow.

Scott
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
I crushed all the shadows in this shot...the car isn't placed correctly but the shot happens so fast. I used motion tracking this time to track the car to the background...no fake camera movements.

http://www.cardenfilms.com/flip2.mov

Thanks guys,

Grant
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Looking much better! Maybe soften the shadow's edges a bit with a gaussian blur. I'd still remove some opacity to the shadow with a second key pass, or at least color grade it a bit more towards the browns instead of pure black (kinda like you did for the car itself).

I see what you mean about the initial placement's perspective, but its not too bad and you're right about it going by fast enough. Also maybe cut a few frames sooner before the tracking slip.

Is this just play or for a project?
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
Great advice. I will tweak tommorow.

Just for play...

How do I soften the shadows without softening the whole car?

In the spirit of Cloverfield...

http://www.cardenfilms.com/flip3.mov

Thanks Scott!

I crushed all the shadows in this shot...the car isn't placed correctly but the shot happens so fast. I used motion tracking this time to track the car to the background...no fake camera movements.

http://www.cardenfilms.com/flip2.mov

Thanks guys,

Grant
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Grant,

You can soften and color grade the shadow by isolating it in your comp program. I use Shake and have included a screen shot showing my node structure.

First, wrap a rough garbage mask around the shadow, then expand the color to isolate the shadow. Next, you use this mask to create the shadow.

You can see on the far right side of the shadow mask there is a greyscale, which will add variation in the opacity of your shadow. Then you can tweak to fit the shot.

I actually screened it back onto the ground, but what you would do, since you have the multiple layers, is use the mask layer of the shadow as a transparency mask for the shadow. Then you can adjust the levels of the shadow, with the street showing through.

Good luck!

Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
Dude!

Before I started this project I tried doing it in Shake but (being a first time shake user) I gave up! I need to spend a week with that manual...

I ended up doing it in Final Cut and Motion (for tracking)...but I can't wait to knuckle down with Shake...

Thanks so much Scott!

Best,

Grant
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
Dave Forrest
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
857 Posts

Profile of Dave Forrest
That looks really cool man. I love it but can I also be so bold as to chip in with a suggestion?

I'd time re-map the car footage once its flipped onto its roof, slow it down a little, to add some weight to the car. It just seems to 'bobble' a little right now as opposed to the 'swagger' that the actual car might provide. (This is in reference to the first link you posted)

Also, as an aside, a nice tip to soften green screen edges that I was given is to add a very fine and soft grey/green stroke to the keyed footage. This assumes your screen is green of course. If it were blue then use a blue/grey stroke. You probably don't really need it here but maybe for a future project.

Awesome - should we request a new topic guys? 'The Magic of VFX'?

Dave.
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Dave,
A VFX thread would be cool.

The edging just needs a light wrap: take the original and it is color graded so the green is neutral grey then the key from the original is added back in.

Then add an edge matte applied to the background plate in the shape of the border of the car.

This results in a thin edge around the car that takes the color of the background plate. This is then screen blended over the car. The effect is that the background colors wrap around the edges of the car just like in real life.

I agree about the remap. That would be cool.
John Heggie
View Profile
Inner circle
Huntersville, NC
1805 Posts

Profile of John Heggie
Grant,
For just playing around, I thought it was very good and really cool.

Great advice from both Scott and David.

Keep them coming
~John
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Duh. how do you get a picture of the car rolling over?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Thanks for sharing.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You Oughta Be In Pictures » » Green Screen Fun (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL