The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Hello everyone,

Does anyone here know of anybody that has done a complete dove act with no body loads? I want to do it sleeveless. I might also use it for competition, so I am just wondering. Thanks in advance.

Michael Bairefoot
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Celeste Evans did a sleeveless act.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4893 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I'd much rather watch her act than Michael's.
Where the magic begins
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7554 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Me, too. She has an added level of misdirection that I'm afraid Michael just cannot ever get.

Now, guys, the youngsters are going, "Who is Celeste Evans?" Do a Google, guys, and read about a lady who made and did it all. Still alive and proud to call her a friend.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Thanks for all the encouragement, fellows. I will check it out. Thanks.

Michael Bairefoot
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
If you are using body loads, does it really make a difference if you have sleeves? As long as you don't use a sleeve load (because you won't have any), there shouldn't be a problem.

Danton
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4893 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Good point, Danton, and more on topic than the Celeste postings. Michael, you could perform your act in a vest and use body loads. If you want an act totally void of body loads, then prop magic is the only other alternative. The advantage of body loads, of course, is less equipment to carry around. If you go into prop magic, you lose the "pack small, play big" concept. A lot depends on the length of your act, as well. If you doing a competition, then you won't need as many props.
Where the magic begins
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5401 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I watched Ian Adair do a dove act in the late 1970’s. He was doing it at a small convention as a sales pitch for some of his dove-related products. He used no body loads, no sleeve steals, or the like. He wanted the guys at the convention to know that they could do some dove work and not have to load the body. Everything was built into the props and self-contained.

He produced two doves from a white scarf, and he produced yet another from a set of ribbon streamers (both self-contained) and laying across the back of a chair. He did a number of other productions until he had five or more birds. Then, he did a number of tricks with some of the birds before beginning to vanish them. He did at least one vanish by putting the bird in a folded mat (shown open, flat, and empty of guile at the start). The mat was snapped open, and a white handkerchief flew into the air.

I seem to remember a Crystal Tube change the doves to water thing, a flip over box vanish, and a small bird cage vanish (maybe three doves).

The whole act could have been done in a bathing suit.

Cantu, probably the inventor of the modern dove act, used to steal some of his doves from a colorful serape hung over a chair, from his table, and from a large sombrero (he used body loads, too).
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Thanks so much, fellows. I was also going to try and do it in my stage act. That way, I can do my regular show and maybe put the dove act some where in the middle. I just don't like wearing the whole suit thing. You know the jacket. Is there a way to make a bird appear with an invisible harness and he not be on you? The only idea I have is to have the bird in my drop box and just pull him straight out of there. What do you think?

Thanks again, everybody. It is a great help.

Bairefoot
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
949 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Some parrot steals are done directly from the drop box patterns on the front of the box (circles, squares, black art designs). I assume you could somehow use a dove in the same fashion, although I have never seen someone do it with a dove; they always used a larger bird.
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
Gary Yin
View Profile
Elite user
Sabah, Malaysia
449 Posts

Profile of Gary Yin
Anyway, how 'bout the Slydini dove/silk fountain table steal? You show some silks, then dropped one, you picked it up, and at the same time steal the silk with the dove holder on the table in one smooth motion.

Well, that's only one I can think of for a jacketless dove. The rest maybe uses those flaming boxes, dove pans, etc.
yrag89@hotmail.com (msn msgr)

Gary Justin Yin.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7554 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
A dove streamer is one of the simplest ways to duplicate a body load steal without one.

Jim is on the right track if you want to steal something. It is always best to steal from the front than from the side or behind.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Eleazar Goodenough invented a way to perform a great many impossible effects (including dove productions) while wearing a T-shirt. His ideas are in The Wizards' Journal #7 in "T-Shirt Magic". To make up the necessary stuff, you'll need to be proficient at sewing, or know someone who can do the sewing for you.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
John T. Sheets
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, USA
1129 Posts

Profile of John T. Sheets
Hello,
I currently have a few different dove acts. One of them is a complete dove act without any body loads. I use this act for corporate gigs where the audience might be closer than in a theater. I don't want to expose stuff, so you may PM me. If I can help, I will.
www.johnTsheets.com

See the "Quantum Bender 3.0" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkTVw9FjonE

See my Dove Act here... https://youtu.be/Ms7_u46Qpp0

See the "Energy Bender" trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJOfL0k8xA

See the "Table of Death" in Las Vegas trailer here... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YivizLAKD7I
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Thanks, John.

Bairefoot
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1731 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I believe Dave Womach does his dove act sleeveless.
jcmazzolado
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of jcmazzolado
If you are using assistants, don't forget that they are a good place to steal doves from. They can be "loaded" and, with appropriate choreography, you can lift your birds for production.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2365 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
I’ve flirted with a sleeveless dove act. So much so that I actually had my tuxedo professionally altered with no sleeves. I believe it is quiet impressive to the lay audience but, being the formal type, I don’t like the look.

Lance Burton had it right. Half way through his act (after using his sleeves very well), he rolled them up and went on to perform many more miracles and dove productions without sleeves.

I’m sure you can come up with an excellent act without body loads. However, I think the best thing to do is a combination of both. Keep your audience guessing.

Posted: Feb 18, 2008 11:50am
As I was writing my last post, I had an image of a top notch magician in a sleeveless tuxedo, but couldn't quite recall the name. I've remembered. Fantasio! Although not a "dove act", he does produce of dove at the end. Want to see some vintage video from his appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show? Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=schqAC8_6tY
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
Thanks, Ken.

Bairefoot
owln_1
View Profile
Loyal user
dallas /now live by tulsa
222 Posts

Profile of owln_1
Celeste Evans; I’m sorry, guys, I’m not a youngster, but somehow or another I don’t recall her. And by the way y'all talk, I would have remembered her. Could y'all shine a little light on the subject of her? Maybe a new thread.
Thanks,
Owln
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Act (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL