We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » How to Be Funny? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
Don't harsh on me since I never perform Ventriloquist before...and I bill my self as a Hypnotist/Suggestionist....mainly my show become funny due to the nature of how my subject react in the Funny Skits that I sugest to them

now

since naturaly Im not a Funny fellow....

take away the Funny Skits&Suggestion and take away the Subject.....only me and the Vent Dummy (I choose to use "Man Eating Plants")....so how to be Funny with this?....does anyone of you trully learn Comedy?.....how do you guys start to be funny?....

I already develope the Character of this Dummy....but again my Question is....

How to be Funny?

can you give me pointers?....maybe a link to certain system?......

and please don't ask me to watch clips on "YouTube"

since that doest not answer the theory of "How to be Funny?"

Thank you for your kind reply
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
There are plenty of ways to be funny but the question is will it fit your performance style...

You can bring out the Axtell Plant and he starts shouting and growling and telling everyone he wants to eat some ugly people today and he looks at one person...takes a double look and says...oooooh yummmy...come to papa you ugly son of a ...

... or I want to eat some horny people today...looks at one of the audience makes a double look...tilt backwards and say, oh you're too much for me...too much calories.

There are plenty possibilities my friend Smile

In a Nutshell...being funny will depend on your materials Smile

Just my personal views my friend from Indonesia...May not be necessarily correct Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
Tony Brent
View Profile
Regular user
Orlando, Florida
156 Posts

Profile of Tony Brent
To my fellow perfomer:

The theory of "how to be funny?" There is no theory. If there was, there would be many, many, many, did I say "many", more funny perfomers out there. You stated yourself that you are not a "naturally funny fellow". If so, then why are you trying to push it? Do what you do best. A sense of humor cannot be learned from a book, DVD or the internet. You can develop and increase your sense of humor certainly, however there has to be an inate sense of what is funny within you. Otherwise you will just have to rip off all the people whom you think is funny and try to do their material.

I suggest watching videos of anyone and everyone whom you think is funny and try to understand why they are funny. Don't copy them, just try to get a feel of what makes them funny.

Tony Brent
Outta Control Magic Show
Orlando
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
Hmmm.....so being Funny is like a Holy Grail now.....

what do you think about this

http://www.killerstandup.com/

And....

since I plan to perform my "man Eating Plants" and showcase my Ventriloquist Ability in Front of Adults...Mostly My Friends & Familiy.....and most of them is Adults

Do you guys manage to generate Laugh when you perform for Adults Audience?....
I know two Ventriloquist in Indonesia who admits that their material is ONLY for Children...and they are aiming for Children Market.....and when they perform for Adults, they can not kill as effective as when they perform for children

as a newbie...I think this is just a self Doubt...

this is how I feel when I first going to start my first Stage Hypnotism Show....

but then again...do you guys manage to generate as much fun as when you perform for Adults?
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Mesmer,
I was directed to "Killer Stand Up" by a good friend, Ken Groves, who is one of the best pro-vents out there. Steve Roye has a great slant on creating comedy material and lots of it. There are no joke formulas, just solid methods of creating ideas, and editing them into killer material.

It takes work though - you won't just start spitting out funny lines. If you are serious about "writing" comedy that can be performed on-stage, then I highly recommend the course.

Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
WOW!....thanx for the tips Tom......

by the way...is this the ONLY course that you take to be able to write your Material?....od there is another?
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
I have taught the elements of comedy quarterly for middle school drama students.
Included are the elements of comedy such as:
familiarity, surprise, contrast, rules of 3, optimism...

I can't tell (or really remember them) jokes so much of my comedy comes from my own life experiences. (Tuesday night at the Kansas Caucus was filled with great material for my adult venues)

Of course t I m I n

g

is very important.

Journalling as suggested in The Artist Way..(by Cameron) was helpful to me.

also classes and working with Improvisational Troupes was a great learning tool.
So was writing a comedy radio program for 3 seasons.

My Laughology Programs are not filled from opening to closing with comedy. I also go for other emotions...love, anger, jealousy..which although can be played for comedy can also be used in dramatic ways.

Aside..which is harder drama or comedy?

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Not the ONLY course, but a good one. The course consists of a series of ebooks, one you may find helpful is on "Street Jokes" which are basically public domain jokes. Steve teaches you how to re-write and customize them for your show. If you have trouble developing new material, that alone would be worth the cost of his course.

Tom

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
So Tom....do you think this Course is applicable to other foreign Language?....
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
The course teaches you to edit your ideas into stand up comedy material. You are still the one writing the comedy - it isn't taking American jokes and trying to fit them into your language and culture. It takes work - there is no magic funny pill... (okay - at least not ones that are legal where I live...)

When Tony asked why do you want to push it if you are not naturally funny? - it was a very good question. I did comedy before I purchased "Killer Comedy" and while it was worth the investment, I still create much of my comedy the way I use to - from playing off the audience and situation.

You alone have to decide what is right for you.
Tom

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
326 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
A funny joke from different language can not be translated as is to other langauge and get the same result. It should get some change here and there.

Humor for adult is different than humor for kids.
To certain joke kids can roll on the floor, but adult only chuckle.

Most man will laugh to dirty jokes, maybe that's why some comedian use this a lot in adult venue. But for family entertainer, this kind of joke is a no no!

A contast between you and your wildthings give some potential to make some humor!
You can be the straigth man with dead pan reaction, while your wildthings is acting crazy. Or you give the wildthings a disgusted look, while your wildthings try to tease you again and again. This is only a start. Try to make some picture about how is the relation between you and your figure, then develop a skit around it piece by piece.

But I'm still learning too, so don't stick to what I said! Smile
I'm in a stage on developing a partner for adult audience too.
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
So ....Budi

How do you wrote your Adult material?.....is there such system?....
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Just do Fart Jokes. Universal.

(Only kidding!)

(kind of)
Higley's Doug's Museum
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
326 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Doug,

Jeff Dunham do a fart joke with Walter!

Mesmer,

I don't have a system yet.

Right know I try to make some humor from my adult figure personality and the situation that he build. He is a very high profile character, but unfortunately his power & charm are fading now. He has power syndrom condition, and want every body still adore him. He think that he doing it smoothly, but the audience know how rough he is. And I am only his humble servant, who become his anger target on and on.

So I create a contras between me and my figure character and make myself as a target of humiliation. Hopefully audiece will laugh for my character, and feel pity for me.
The humor situation happened, because audience know that I did it all. Smile

What do you think? Any suggestion?
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
The theory of funny according to one of the funniest of the funny, Groucho Marx.
"Take a stunt man dress him up like an old lady and push him down a hill in a wheel chair and that's funny, when it turns out to be a real old lady, that's comedy".
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
Photius...correct me if Im wrong.....to bring comedy, the material must come from my own personal life

and Budi....nice....when did I have the chance to watch this character come to life?

and Budi...if you don't have a system...could you please share with the rest of us on what is your tought process on creating your adult material?....

And Budi, just an idea...in indonesia, we should have our own Vent Gathering.....since I would love the see the 55 Years old Vent Dummy that your friend is having Smile
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
326 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Mesmer,

I have tried my character twice, the first one is good enough, but the second turn is not too good. Maybe because the second turn is in almost the same audience with the first. If we have the time right, I will try it in front of you.

Vent gathering is good! If you make one, I will do my best to joint it.
Every body in Indonesia know you, not mine! So it is more easy for you to invite a lot of people than me.

I just try to think what is funny for the adult audience. Since I don't want to use blue jokes, I think I should use a comedy situation. I choose carefully, what kind of character will appeal for adult and what kind of situation that I can create humor between me an my character. I also use some of my own experience in real life to make this character. I have friends and family who still in post power syndrome situation. I tried to learn from them, how they think and what they talk about, which is funny for me. But I don't dare to laugh in front of them! Then I try to make it more hyperbole and make it more contrast with the real life and make it more absurd. So I hope I can built humor piece by piece from this situation between me and my figure character.

Let say about your character, a gay man eating plan. What will he talk to you as a hypno-therapist? Is he want you to cure him or to change every man he know to be gay too? How about he want to learn hypnotism so he can hypnotized every man he like to become a gay. After you give him a lesson, he hypnotized you and you became a gay too. Imagine how silly you will be, a six pack man with deep stare eyes, wearing macho accessories, talk, act and think like a manshe! This will be the element of surprise and contrast, two of the key elements in creating humor.

Just a thought!

Or you want me to become your script writer? LOL!!
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
Budi....GREAT STUFF........

maybe you should imitate your Vent Dummy just like our dead president soeharto, and before the show...in serious tone,....you alone standing in front of the Microphone annaounce to the audience that soon the president of indonesia will join you....then the "indonesia Raya" is played on the background (our national anthem)....

then here you go...bring out your vent dummy that is wearing a tux and a Peci (our traditional hat)....and your Vent Dummy looks like Soeharto and sounds like him....and you could have a Political jokes with post power syndrome in it!.....

folow this link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk7qY4eM7gE

then a week from that you get kidnaped and then a week from that your body is found floating in the river Smile

Talk about Free Publicity! Smile

just an idea....it worth to try

about you being my script writer...this is GAY...I mean GREAT idea!....let me fammiliarize myself with the Man Eating Plants and let me write my rough script first.....then I'll contact you soon

:ventriloquist:

but the idea that you wrote is Brilliant
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
326 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Quote:
On 2008-02-12 03:30, mesmer wrote:
Budi....GREAT STUFF........

maybe you should imitate your Vent Dummy just like our dead president soeharto, and before the show...in serious tone,....you alone standing in front of the Microphone annaounce to the audience that soon the president of indonesia will join you....then the "indonesia Raya" is played on the background (our national anthem)....

then here you go...bring out your vent dummy that is wearing a tux and a Peci (our traditional hat)....and your Vent Dummy looks like Soeharto and sounds like him....and you could have a Political jokes with post power syndrome in it!.....

folow this link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk7qY4eM7gE

then a week from that you get kidnaped and then a week from that your body is found floating in the river Smile

Talk about Free Publicity! Smile

just an idea....it worth to try

Oh, NO!
I don't have a nut, eh, a gut to do that! Smile

But in part of my script, my figure talk about our president (right now) as his junior class mate! Hopefully I don't end in the jail!

I looking forward your script!
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
644 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
Being funny sometimes takes time and experience for those who have self doubt. I have taken personal experiences in life and made jokes of them. I banter with my puppets and let them upstage me. Not all of what I do is considered humerous, but I keep those that are in the back of my mind when I see the audience react to certain situations.

Since I have done lectures and seminars (without the puppets), I have tried to make them educational and entertaining. In doing so, I came up with some material that makes a hum drum lecture funny. I ad lib a lot and have the gift of gab, so to speak. This came from years of experience. Don't get discouraged, with practice, it should come to you as well.

I had self doubt as well and was unsure of myself. I had to force myself, in the beginning, to go on stage and face an audience. Years later, it comes naturally. I still get a little self doubt now and then, but it fades after a few minutes. Good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

Glenn
Glenn Hester

P.O. Box 3095

Brunswick, Ga. 31521

912-571-8071

www.policemagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/PoliceMagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » How to Be Funny? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL