The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Upcoming Recession (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Personally, and this is just me, I have never let anyone else tell me if I was happy, or sad, or going to make money or not.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ScottRSullivan
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of ScottRSullivan
Quote:
On 2008-02-10 17:56, Dannydoyle wrote:
Personally, and this is just me, I have never let anyone else tell me if I was happy, or sad, or going to make money or not.

I do. I've got Miss Cleo.

*grin*
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2581 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
I don't wish hard times, devalued savings, or a recession on anyone, least of all because it'll also affect me! ...but maybe it would do some of you American guys good to try a year or 2 over here in the UK.

Pretty much anything you can get over here from a hot dog to a house will cost you twice as much as you guys pay. Last time I was in New York, a hot dog cost me $1.50; over here, you'd be doing well if you only paid £2.00 ($4.00) for one.

Gas is $8-9 a gallon.

And not only will a meal in an equivalent restaurant in the States cost half as much as you'd pay over here in the UK, you'd have twice as much served up to you on your plate.

EEEE, they don't know they're born.....

Neal Smile
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Quote:
On 2008-02-09 14:58, magicofCurtis wrote:
Sweetie, if your checking account or CDs dropped, you are banking at the wrong banks.
CDs (most) are locked in checking accounts and savings accounts with the right bank pays as much as a basic CD... WAMU (Washington Mutual) is paying 4.5 on a basic savings and checking... Pretty good for not being locked in like a CD...... But, this is the time to buy STOCK in the fallen angels..... $20 to 50 G's in the right company right now will most likely triple in a year or less... Smile This is the time when millions are made in the right investments, since things are CHEAP!

IRA rates are the worst.
You might be able to get by on a CD, but I won't believe that WaMu is paying more than the 2nd largest bank in the country.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2008-02-10 18:42, neal austin wrote:
I don't wish hard times, devalued savings, or a recession on anyone, least of all because it'll also affect me! ...but maybe it would do some of you American guys good to try a year or 2 over here in the UK.

Pretty much anything you can get over here from a hot dog to a house will cost you twice as much as you guys pay. Last time I was in New York, a hot dog cost me $1.50; over here, you'd be doing well if you only paid £2.00 ($4.00) for one.

Gas is $8-9 a gallon.

And not only will a meal in an equivalent restaurant in the States cost half as much as you'd pay over here in the UK, you'd have twice as much served up to you on your plate.

EEEE, they don't know they're born.....

Neal Smile

My wife and I went to London and Ireland on our recent honeymoon, and you are right about the prices. I'm glad we stayed mostly at Bed and Breakfasts where at least one meal was included.

However, don't be too jealous about us folks from across the pond getting twice the food on our plates that you get. Have you seen the average American waistline? (What you see on TV doesn't count- news anchors and celebrities aren't "average" people.)

I think a bit of America's weight problem has to do with our recessions. Actually, I grew up during the '80s downturn, and my parents were born near the end of the Great Depression. A lot of Americans were raised with the dinner-table philosophy, "Eat everything on your plate." Put a few generations of that school of thought into an era of cheap, subsidized junk food, add in non-existent public transportation and cheap cars and gas (it really is true- nobody walks in L.A.) and you get...epidemic obesity. My wife and I had huge breakfasts and full meals every day on our honeymoon, but didn't gain any weight- probably because we walked everywhere we went.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Quote:
IRA rates are the worst.
You might be able to get by on a CD, but I won't believe that WaMu is paying more than the 2nd largest bank in the country.

WaMu is paying 4.5 on checking and savings if you open online... What is the other bank paying?
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Quote:
On 2008-02-10 13:47, Doug Higley wrote:
Entertainment is ALWAYS at the the top of a population's list when times get tough. It's how the flickers made it through and, yes, magicians as Paul points out. A feller and his goil can only take so much being depressed...

This is why if times get tough (I'm not at all convinced they will) Entertainment that is up lifting and positive (like the MGM Musicals) will thrive. The Torture flicks will be buried where they belong.

In our case, Bizarrists may have to lose the black robes and get a straw hat and bamboo cane. Smile

I beg to differ...
During hard times, horror movies flourish right along side the feelgood movies.
Notable films during the Great Depression, all made between 1930 and 1939:
Dracula
Phantom of the Opera
Frankenstein
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Freaks
The Mummy

Similar spikes in scary movies can be seen right after WWII, along with all of the "Abbott and Costello meet..." films.
People go to extremes in stressful times, both extremes. Some people want complete escape from reality with happy endings, blissful romance, and people singing (nothing wrong with that), and others want to be able to say, "Hey...My life is bad, but at least I am not being chased by an endless hoard of the undead!"
So I am pretty sure that the scary stuff will do ok, too.

And as for the bizarrists...I think that you will find that the number of psychics and seances rise during depressions and crisis times, as well.

They'll do fine.

But just in case...I still have a straw skimmer hat and a bamboo cane in my closet.

And I know how to use them.
Gwyd, Barely in the closet vaudevillian
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Quote:
On 2008-02-11 11:01, magicofCurtis wrote:
Quote:
IRA rates are the worst.

WaMu is paying 4.5 on checking and savings if you open online... What is the other bank paying?

WaMu is only paying 2% on their I.R.A.s.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
socalmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
267 Posts

Profile of socalmagic
This is more entertaining than my show! Magicians talking politics and the economy. Economics is very complex, and most economists have no idea what they are talking about. A recession is technically defined as two quarters of declining growth. I think what is worrying people is that gas and groceries are more expensive, while our homes are rapidly losing value.

As Robert Bloor indicated, the Federal Reserve is to blame by pumping billions of dollars into the US economy. It is a temporary band-aid, and only causes inflation and the American dollar to plummet. 4.5% is a lousy return when the dollar has lost 35% over the last 2 years. That's right, the money sitting in the bank had to make over 15% a year just to keep up with its devaluation.

By the way, recessions are not a natural occurrence, but are caused by a fiat money system (or fake money, aka paper dollars). Recessions don't exist with a gold backed currency. The Federal Reserve admits that their policies caused the great depression.

I don't care whether we are in a recession. I've been a full-time pro performing high end shows for 15 years, and my ticket sales increased during recessions. I'm more concerned about the collapse of the dollar, stripping Americans of our rights in the name of national security (the Patriot Act) while our borders are wide open, and the upcoming economic upheaval that will make the great depression look like utopia.

But at least we're not in a recession!
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Palm Bay, FL
382 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
I predict we are seeing the beginning of a social and economic shift.

The question we need to be asking ourselves is.....what do people value, where will they spend their money, and what is their perception of magical entertainment?

In recent years, we have taken magic out of the theaters and out on to the streets. Has the world seen this trend as primitive or progressive? What kind of image do we want to give the world?

I predict that the world will be looking for the magician who is the expert, the innovator, the story teller, and the sage. They are looking for the modern day wizards. They still want to be entertained, but they want more.

The magician who knows how to use his magic in sales, education, promoting health, personal awareness, and business is the magician of the future. That is where the money is.

Are you ready to adapt with the change to come?

Steve Hart
the "Motivational Magician"
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Marshall:

Check out their checking accounts, they are paying 4.17..... I am not speaking about their IRAs.
http://www.wamu.com/personal/savings_acc......ault.asp
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
In our case, Bizarrists may have to lose the black robes and get a straw hat and bamboo cane.

I dunno, Doug. Karloff, Lugosi, Peter Lorre, and England's Tod Slaughter came to the fore during the Depression Cinema.

Artificial menaces like Dracula, Ming the Merciless, and Sweeney Todd helped people forget the REAL horror in their immediate lives.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Didn't I say that just a few posts ago?
Hrm...
Gwyd
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yeah, I had a feeling of reliving a moment there for a second. Thought I was in the mentalist section for a second.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Quote:
On 2008-02-07 12:08, Dannydoyle wrote:
Why listen to anyone telling you there is a recession?

That, along with a few other posts on this thread, sums it up for me. Regardless of what happens in the big picture economically, I've still got a wife and kids that eat every day. Whether there's a recession, inflation, depression, intercession, intermission, or goin' fishin' -- the question is not, "What's going on in the economy?" The question is, "What am I going to DO?" And most of the time, it's what I should be doing regardless of the economy.

Illustration: After 9/11, several predominantly corporate entertainers started showing up in non-corporate venues like magic lectures and public shows. They made their money, and when things got better in their marketplace, they were back in it. They didn't whine or gripe. They just made money. They went into markets that were already a small percentage of their work and made them a bigger percentage.

Recession or no recession, markets and clients can come and go. I've got a magician buddy who makes a significant chunk of his income from one client. That client could, like any other client, disappear through no fault of my friend's. What would he do? Gripe? Worry? Complain? That won't put any money in his pocket. He will focus on his secondary markets, beef them up, and create new clients and markets.

That being said, I can easily see there are some situations where the larger economy could immediately effect a magician. If someone is a birthday party magician in a one industry or one company town and his town get hits with big layoffs, then, sure, it's going to hurt his bottom line. But the question then becomes what should he DO? And the answer will probably be things he should have done before the local economic slump: investigate and expand into other markets and clients to make himself less vulnerable in the future.

I know we are all free to discuss what we want, and I certainly wouldn't want to stop anyone from chatting about whatever they wish. But as entrepreneurs, we must be action-focused, goal-oriented (kick in the Zig Ziglar speech) people, and dwelling on recessions, the economy, etc., it doesn't seem to be all that profitable. Interesting and worthy of chat? Sure. Profitable? Don't think so.

Respectfully,

DD

PS: Related to earlier posts, if it took the Great Depression to bring us the great Universal monster movies of the 1930s, it was worth it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20566 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Doc, you make the point I was too lazy to write. LOL
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7444 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Great post, Doc. Lots of wisdom.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
KenW
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of KenW
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass....
It is about learning how to dance in the rain.
Doc Dixon
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania, USA
654 Posts

Profile of Doc Dixon
Quote:
On 2008-02-13 00:14, KenW wrote:
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass....
It is about learning how to dance in the rain.

How dare you take the meaning of my long, blowhard post and express it in a more intelligent, literate, and even more poetic way??!! lol

Seriously, that was very well put. I guess brevity really is the soul of wit.

Respectfully,

DD
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
The Houdini Room at The Casa de Cool
1596 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
Quote:
On 2008-02-12 11:52, gsidhe wrote:
Didn't I say that just a few posts ago?
Hrm...
Gwyd

Gwyd,
You, me & Doug seem to on the same page here - Why is it that the really profound, useful information is just ignored?
Swing hard, swing often, and we'll catch ya on the Flip-Side!
John Pyka
www.johnpyka.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Upcoming Recession (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL