The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Material for a budding young magician (11) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Gentleman - I have been asked by a young man for some material he should pick up. He's only 11, and I hesitate to send him to Giobbi's Card College. He wants to do close up, and work with cards and what not, and while I WILL have him pick it up at some point, I don't know that I should reccomend this as his first piece of REAL material. Do you have any reccomendations for other books or video's for someone his age. I'd like something that will require him to work at it but will also not kill his interest.
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
How about a book of self working, or nearly self working card tricks. I think there are many out there.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I'd just look at Barnes and Noble. Karl Fulves self working stuff and Mark Wilsons complete course in magic books are available there. Or even the library.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Thanks guys - I know what your saying here. I was looking to know if any of you KNOW specific books or vids. Things you own or have used to give to a youngun to learn. Something you've had personal experience with.

I can google search some material for adolescents but I won't know if it's garbage or not.
LLL
View Profile
Inner circle
1574 Posts

Profile of LLL
I gave a copy of 101 tricks with everyday objects to an 11 year old pupil and he was fine with it.

Mescalito
The basic tool for the manipulation of reality is the manipulation of words. If you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use the words.
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
460 Posts

Profile of Clock
"Royal Road to Card Magic" is a must in my opinion... for someone who is starting out.
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
"Royal Road," absolutely, but let him try something simpler first. Larry West got dozens of effects out of a single simple card switch (I've forgotten exactly which switch, but it was so simple even I could do it) - an 11-yr-old should be well able to do some of those.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Royal road is too cumbersome a first book for an 11 year old in my opinion. I think it'd scare him off more than anything. Hrmmm....
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
How about talking to him about your experience and how you got started? Experience is the best teacher. Everybody these days is looking for the instant fix or answer. Start out slowly and learn. The searching process is half the reward. Why just give it away. No respect. If you have to struggle then it will mean more, if you just hand it to the person chances are they will not appreciate the offer and wind up just passing over the treasure you handed them...

When you do a free show people don't care. If you charge through the roof, then they will pay attention.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
Karl Fulves self working card tricks
Karl Fulves More self working card tricks
Karl Fulves Self working close up magic
Max 20 dollars for all three
Later add the rest of the series.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
"Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic", or if you can find a copy, Bill Tarr's, "Now You See it, Now You Don't".
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Ethan the emazing
View Profile
Elite user
anywhere but here USA
454 Posts

Profile of Ethan the emazing
Quote:
On 2008-02-21 00:44, Michael Baker wrote:
"Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic", or if you can find a copy, Bill Tarr's, "Now You See it, Now You Don't".

I was 11 when I started out and these two were my first books. They we're great and encouraged me to keep on going. After owning these for around 6 months I bought "Expert card technique" and that got my love for cards going.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Loraynes "Magic Book".
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Good one, Jaz!

Bruce Elliott's, "Classic Secrets of Magic"

Patrick Page's, "Big Book of Magic"

Henry Hay's, "Amateur Magicians' Handbook".
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Material for a budding young magician (11) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL