The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why isn't this supernatural? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
chris35
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of chris35
Quote:
"Weigh the World, and pry assunder
All things to their inmost core;

You will find them made of Wonder
Everything is something MORE."

Beautiful! Who is the author of these lines?
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2008-02-07 18:18, entity wrote:
Because he's been featured on television several times, you know he's legit?

- entity

You instantly jump to the "lets test this guy first" card. Lets assume he is 100% legit. Would you think such a thing could win 1 million from Randi?
scarnecky
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah
330 Posts

Profile of scarnecky
I highly doubt that anyone with good taste would stage this- especially in the dealings of such a highly sensitive subject- "Autism"...
I think its generally accepted by most that individuals like this young man- do exist...

Scar
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2008-02-07 18:21, chichi711 wrote:
So if it is just memory recall why cant he memorize every phone book in the world like other people with autism? Why do they normally only have one really strong trait? I honestly don't think it is only memory retention.

It seems you've gotten all your information on autism from Rain Man. Do yourself a favor and read up on it. It's a fascinating (yet sad) disorder. "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat" and "An Anthropologist on Mars," both by Oliver Sacks, both talk some about autism (and were written for the general public). "An Anthropologist on Mars" has a section dedicated to the man you posted the video of.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
The poem is by James Dillet Freeman. I've always liked it.

Chichi: I'm not jumping. You've jumped to the conclusion that he's supernatural. Tom Jorgenson has jumped to the conclusion that he's legit because he's been on television several times.

I've not stated (nor even hinted) that this was staged in any way. I'm saying it's fascinating and that BEFORE jumping to ANY conclusions, it might be worthwhile examining things further.

- entity
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Trust me I know a lot more about this than you think (if you want to read the new york times article on my nephew let me know). I didn't learn everything from rain man (I have met the guy). I do understand that what I am saying is not the normal situation. What I am saying is if it is just 100% memory then why does it only work with drawing cities? (assuming that is all he can "do").

Quote:
On 2008-02-07 18:33, entity wrote:
The poem is by James Dillet Freeman. I've always liked it.

Chichi: I'm not jumping. You've jumped to the conclusion that he's supernatural. Tom Jorgenson has jumped to the conclusion that he's legit because he's been on television several times.

I'm saying it's fascinating and that before jumping to any conclusions, it might be worthwhile examining things further.

- entity

If by supernatural you mean should win 1 million from Randi then yes I do think it is supernatural. I really hate the word supernatural though as I said in the first post. Supernatural just happens to be the word that everyone uses around here.

Entity I will ask again. If this is legit, would he win Randis million?
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Dunno. That's why it would be interesting to find out more.

- entity
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I doubt he would make it past the application. I would love to see him try though.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Some theories about autistic savants.
http://www.ritacarter.co.uk/page17.htm
None are supernatural.
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Perhaps there are even more valuable and interesting things to learn from this person than might come from his winning the JREF prize.

I think that if his talent and ability is genuine, using him as ammunition in a war with Randi trivializes his situation.

- entity
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2008-02-07 18:33, chichi711 wrote:
Trust me I know a lot more about this than you think (if you want to read the new york times article on my nephew let me know). I didn't learn everything from rain man (I have met the guy). I do understand that what I am saying is not the normal situation. What I am saying is if it is just 100% memory then why does it only work with drawing cities? (assuming that is all he can "do")

Well, the recall required for drawing is a specific thing(as is the recall required for music or the recall required for language). A "normal" person who can draw things well from memory doesn't necessarily have the best memory for facts and figures (or phonebooks).

Stephen draws more than just cities, but the city drawings are certainly the most amazing.

Entity, he's completely legit, his case has been documented since he was a child. You can read more about him here:

http://www.stephenwiltshire.co.uk/
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I find those stories supernatural. If it were natural why do only 25 people alive have the ability to do this stuff?
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
How many people alive play golf at the level of Tiger Woods, or play the Violin like Itzhak Perlman, etc.?

This person is very unusual and fascinating. It seems that he can do things that some others in the world can do.

- entity
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2008-02-07 18:37, chichi711 wrote:
I doubt he would make it past the application. I would love to see him try though.

Randi's test is meant to test for abilities that go beyond the laws of physics. So of course he wouldn't make it past the application. But more importanly he wouldn't try because what he does has nothing to do with what Randi tests for (or claims to test for if you'd rather say it that way). He may be autistic, but you'd have to be a true moron to not see the difference.

I beg of you people, read and learn about things before you deign them supernatural just because you don't understand them. That is what children do, and children are dumb.

It's clear now that some of you just want to be able to co-opt his abilities to support your own ideologies. Hey, knock yourself out, but that doesn't make for an interesting discussion so I'll let you go at it yourselves.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2008-02-07 18:51, entity wrote:
How many people alive play golf at the level of Tiger Woods, or play the Violin like Itzhak Perlman, etc.?

This person is very unusual and fascinating. It seems that he can do things that some others in the world can do.

- entity

Tiger works harder than anyone else. Sure he was born with better skills than I, but I don't think he would be "tiger" without practice. This guy didn't try to do this. He was born able to do it. That is the difference.

Quote:
On 2008-02-07 18:52, Magicsquared wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-02-07 18:37, chichi711 wrote:

Randi's test is meant to test for abilities that go beyond the laws of physics. So of course he wouldn't make it past the application. But more importantly he wouldn't try because what he does has nothing to do with what Randi tests for (or claims to test for if you'd rather say it that way). He may be autistic, but you'd have to be a true moron to not see the difference.

I beg of you people, read and learn about things before you deign them supernatural just because you don't understand them. That is what children do, and children are dumb.

It's clear now that some of you just want to be able to co-opt his abilities to support your own ideologies. Hey, knock yourself out, but that doesn't make for an interesting discussion so I'll let you go at it yourselves.

Laughable. First off I am the first to say that the term "supernatural" is a joke. I hate it and try not to use it. I have said I don't find this "supernatural". I also don't think it is natural. You should listen. Not listening is also a trait of these "dumb children" you speak of.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Children aren't dumb. Children just enjoy fantasy and are not yet mature enough to realize that reality can be just as wondrous and captivating as fantasy seems to be.

- entity
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1231 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
I thought that was amazing Smile
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Quote:
On 2008-02-07 18:54, chichi711 wrote:

Tiger works harder than anyone else. Sure he was born with better skills than I, but I don't think he would be "tiger" without practice. This guy didn't try to do this. He was born able to do it. That is the difference.
[/quote]

Really? Are there samples of his artwork from age 2 or 3? Is it of the same quality as his current work? Or has his work, his accuracy, etc., improved with practise?

- entity
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2008-02-07 18:42, Anthony Jacquin wrote:
Some theories about autistic savants.
http://www.ritacarter.co.uk/page17.htm
None are supernatural.

These are only THEORIES to explain the Supernatural abilities these individuals have!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
I rest my case. Smile

(Just saying that I have nothing more to add to this discussion, and have to leave. I find what I've read about this individual to be fascinating and inspiring.)

- entity
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Why isn't this supernatural? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL