The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Lycopodium (Dragon's Breath) Delivery Method (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dreamadream99
View Profile
Regular user
Central Alberta, Canada
137 Posts

Profile of dreamadream99
Anyone know of any complex delivery methods available for Dragon's Breath?

I'm already familiar with the Volcanic Match, but looking for something more complex that could be triggered from elsewhere (not the hand), force air through hidden tubing, and (ideally) would leave you clean at the end.

Anyone have any recommendations for commercially available products?
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Not commercial ones, but there are some pretty easy flashpots that can be made.
Personally, I like to just throw the stuff.
Gwyd
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
578 Posts

Profile of BSutter
For a complicated delivery method start with FedEx, transfer to DSL then, finally to USPS.
If that is not complicated enough I give up.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Ya mean DHL.

Also, throw in GOD and the USPS.
Hell, the USPS alone is complicated enough - they'll be sure to lose it.

Seriously though, I know of no systems. Why make a simple thing complex?
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You might be able to adapt a squirting flower... yes, the ones that clowns use... to shoot lycopodium powder instead of water. Then instead of squeezing the bulb with your hand, you can pin it under your armpit to squeeze it, or pin it down at your side so you can squeeze it with your elbow. You can even place the bulb on the floor and step on it. I would suggest having the end of the plastic tubing fitted with a glass tube like a medicine dropper so that it can hold a larger "charge" of powder.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
dreamadream99
View Profile
Regular user
Central Alberta, Canada
137 Posts

Profile of dreamadream99
Quote:
On 2008-02-08 21:44, Mystician wrote:
Why make a simple thing complex?

Think of what Inviso-Torch and Portable Flamethrower did for the butane lighter. Sure you could pick up a lighter and strike it and get flame, but They "souped it up" and turned it into magic. I want something similar for lycopodium. I don't want to have to retrieve a small bottle or palpitator device, squeeze it, then get rid of it. I seek somthing that (1) has delivery aparatus in place, (2) is repeatable without reset, and (3) lets me end clean.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2106 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Haven't done it myself but how about a Sprizzer?
dreamadream99
View Profile
Regular user
Central Alberta, Canada
137 Posts

Profile of dreamadream99
Quote:
MagicBrent wrote:
"...how about a Sprizzer?"

I considered that, but I'd really like to rid my hand of any squeezing or pressing motion, and trigger it remotely if possible (by 'remotely' I mean elsewhere on the body, not via electronic remote control).

I really like the method behind Kevin Lupine's portable flamethrower: Triggered from elsewhere on the body, travels via hidden ductwork, and retracts for a clean ending. I'd love to find something similar for lyco. If I can't find it, I may have to try making it.
dreamadream99
View Profile
Regular user
Central Alberta, Canada
137 Posts

Profile of dreamadream99
Quote:
Spellbinder wrote:
"...adapt a squirting flower... squeeze it with your elbow...[fit] the end with a glass tube...[to] hold a larger "charge" of powder.

Spellbinder: There's a lot I like about your idea. Gives me remote triggering and I could end clean via retraction. If my commercial search yields no results, I will experiment with your suggestion.

Any ideas on multiple repeats?
dreamadream99
View Profile
Regular user
Central Alberta, Canada
137 Posts

Profile of dreamadream99
So anyway, if anyone knows of any methods for delivering a lyco flash without involving the hand in the delivery (trigger) or conceal, I'm still looking.

Short of that, I've begun experimenting with CO2 cartridges, surgical tubing, and an airbrush type trigger mechanism, with some success.
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
160 Posts

Profile of rhiro
How about a small solenoid valve triggered by a toe switch?

http://www.ascovalve.com/Common/PDFFiles......7CR4.pdf

I used a different version of this valve (had a larger orifice, but unfortunately no longer available) that worked great for a gas delivery magic application. We, too, did experiments with airbrush guts (from a cheap Harbor Freight one) but liked the triggering possibilities afforded by the solenoid approach.

Ross
dreamadream99
View Profile
Regular user
Central Alberta, Canada
137 Posts

Profile of dreamadream99
Ross: Thanks for your ideas and PMs.

The solenoid is probably an unnecessary expense for me since I already have a reliable and discreet triggering method for my CO2, if I, in fact, have to make this effect. I am still looking for a commercially available lyco delivery method, if anyone knows of one.

Does anyone have/use/like Eruption? If so, would you be willing to consult with me on it's use?
MikeOB
View Profile
Regular user
Doylestown, PA
179 Posts

Profile of MikeOB
I bought this years ago and was going through my old trunk and found it again. I wonder how long Dragons breath lasts?
tim_mantis
View Profile
Regular user
UK
117 Posts

Profile of tim_mantis
Surely squirting a jet of CO2 onto a flame isn't going to have spectacular results - with or without lycopodium?!!

How about a non-flammable aerosol, perhaps the type used to clean electronic equipment?
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
How about a simple air bulb with a tube you can step on?
I've used it before.
But I like things simple.
Gwyd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Lycopodium (Dragon's Breath) Delivery Method (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL