The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Greeks, Seconds, Bottoms, Faros and False Shuffles (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Åland, Finland
620 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
Hi again everyone, I have a couple of new videos for you to comment. I am not even close to pleased with all my videos on youtube but for most of them, I know what has to be done. When I don't, I come to you, or when I feel I could need some additional tips. When I think about it, I could probably need some fine point advice on everything.

First link: Table faro (Back and front views)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc8Npzx7-l8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5X19f2rBEw

I have been playing around with it for a few days here and there to get it as smooth as possible and this is where I am now. Instead of having to tap the packets etc I will be trying to faro then instantly. Just wanted some feedback on this as I keep practising it. yeah, any ideas on how to get it to look more like a riffle shuffle from the front?

Link nr 2: Push Through Shuffle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8pvvt1EvHc

Any ideas how to get it better? Any fine tips or just keep practising what I am already doing?

Bottoms:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkhLBW99-os

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yt5rQmtmBOI

Greeks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqkuRE4cZjE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id5Q4t5loto

Seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11lPF6h8UrM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWBqM2_qw-c

I will probably post a few vids of hops as well in a while. Would appreciate help there as well. Would probably use crimps and bridges but fun to know and perhaps I will need them some day. I wish I could learn the infinity, I guess I am just too stupid.

cheers,

Kim
Mr. Z
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, NV
826 Posts

Profile of Mr. Z
All of it looks great. My only suggestion would be to play around a bit with the rhythm on the push-thru. The speed is good but I've never been a fan of doing the push-thru followed by a single straight cut like that, especially at that speed. I always follow it with a false bottom strip. Strip-out shuffles are more appropriate when just using a straight cut, in my esteemed opinion...
"...if you have to say you is, you ain't."--Jimmy Hoffa
MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Åland, Finland
620 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
Thanks for your reply Mr. Z. Lets say you wanted to finish the shuffling with a single shuffle (completely false) followed by a straight cut. How would you do this?

Another thing I have been thinking about, lets say you have a packet of.. about 20 cards. You want to keep the top 20 cards in the same order during the shuffles. Would you use a real strip followed by a push through? I don't think that you would do a short shuffle at least? Correct?

Appreciate all your help!

By the way, you didn't have anything to say about the deals?

Best,

Kim
Mr. Z
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, NV
826 Posts

Profile of Mr. Z
In that case I use a few strip-out variants. Can't go into details since they're not mine to tip, sorry.

A push-thru followed by a legit strip to retain half the deck or so is one of the most deceptive false shuffles around.

The deals all looked great, nothing I can really add. You seem exceedingly good at pitching out bottoms and such, a very valuable skill.
"...if you have to say you is, you ain't."--Jimmy Hoffa
MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Åland, Finland
620 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
I understand, I wouldn't want you to break someone's trust anyway, just wanted to check in case I would get lucky. Hm, I always hear people use "get lucky" in another situation, I hope I used that phrase correctly now, because to me, it actually sounds a bit odd. Smile

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I will continue playing with the push through.

Take care,

Kim
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
461 Posts

Profile of Clock
Just something I noticed...

When you do the pushthrough, the speed of the shuffle does not match the speed of the pushthrough action. It's like you are doing a nice soft/slow shuffle, then you cut as fast as a lightning strike, pause, then a slow gamblers cut. The speed should be about the same in every action...flowing one to the other (IMHO).

Also, upgrade your "up the ladder" to a bottom strip (watch Z's videos). It does not have to be as messy and high as then one you did at the end to be deceptive.

Everything else rocks. Good stuff...

Grant
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
461 Posts

Profile of Clock
Sorry...just read Z's post who pretty much covered what I said.
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Åland, Finland
620 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
Thanks clock, great advice! I will definitely work on that. I have also felt that something has been really off. (The rhythtm) will work on that as well as get rid of the up the ladder and replace it with bottom strips.

Keep the advice coming folks Smile

Kim
magician8
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of magician8
The videos were all great, on the seconds I felt that you were going extremely fast when you were holding the card back. I think you should practice dealing the seconds slower than your tops so that when you do them together the speed will be the same in both deals.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15752 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes Mr Z sums it up expertly I think.. Very nice Kim.

I know Forte and Z do things pretty fast and it looks great but I think one should bear in mind what Erdnase said about the dealer's customary gait.

“The stock must be run up without hurry or hesitation, at the dealer's customary gait. Rapidity is not essential, but smoothness and uniformity are. The break is formed, and the jogs are found, in the usual time necessary for drawing out the under cut. To go through the whole stock slowly is much better than to change the pace.” -SWE-

Also the short paragraph in ECT is worth bearing in mind:

“As much as anything else, this book champions a style of card conjuring. The card expert commands the respect and admiration of those who watch him because apparently he does not manipulate the cards. His every effort is centered on presenting his feats with a minimum of handling of the cards. He attempts to present each trick exactly as though it were performed by true magical means. Under such conditions, the pack would be handled simply and naturally, without ostentation. The performer who constantly riffles the ends of the pack, who rushes through his feats as though Beelzebub were hard on his heels, whose movements are quick and jerky, is defeated before he starts, for his spectators always are conscious of the fact that he is employing sleight of hand; his every action betrays this fact.”

That’s not to criticise your work, which I think is great, but I do think some of us try to do things at Fortes pace and it doesn’t suit all of us.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Åland, Finland
620 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
I hear you Tommy, only problem is I have not found a technique that works when executed slower. The speed is the only way of deception when coming to the strip out I have found. Thinking about doing pull outs instead.. I don't know. I feel what you say is absolutely true, but at the same time I have been doing this for 4 years all in all, perhaps it will get better and smoother with time..? I don't know, I wish I had a teacher living here, never had and probably never will, which makes learning a lot more difficult unfortunately. If you or someone else come up with ideas on how to do the push through slower but still decpetive, please let me know.

Take care everybody.

Kim
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15752 Posts

Profile of tommy
I am not sure then, if it is a good idea to do a strip out as a final cut if you have to do it that fast to hide the dirty deed. I mean it just looks dead suspicious doing a cut like that. Even if it was a square cut, to be honest, someone at the table on seeing that done that fast would say: “What the **** was that!”
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
iamslow
View Profile
Inner circle
Proffessional Slacker
1894 Posts

Profile of iamslow
Allways a pleasure to watch Kim. Smile
"Everyone is tough till they get punched in the face" Mike Tyson
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Clock and Mr. Z can certainly give better advice than I. However, I enjoyed this last set of videos, especially the tabled faro.
MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Åland, Finland
620 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
I will do my best to fix it tommy. thnx for replying people, id rather have replies with no advice in them than no replies at all.

Kim
matu
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of matu
Very impressive work Kim. I really like your bottom deal.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15752 Posts

Profile of tommy
IF REQUESTED to determine from what single artifice the greatest advantage is derived we would unhesitatingly decide in favor cutting at 26. I am not kidding.

Tommy
Unknown419
View Profile
Inner circle
1332 Posts

Profile of Unknown419
MagicKim I'm not going to go into details about everything you did because I would be here typing all day long about how good each and every demo was. All I will say is that everything you did was excellent. You are living proof to the readers at this Café what can be done with a lot of dedication and practice. It's an honor to know you and to watch you work.

Take Care

Respectfully,

Doc
MagicKim
View Profile
Special user
Åland, Finland
620 Posts

Profile of MagicKim
Thanks a lot again guys for commenting. Good to know that you like my videos eventhough you might not feel you can give that much advice on it. My videos are meant to be entertaining to you and at the same time helpful to me. Going into my 5th year of practising cards any day now, time sure flies..

Sincerely,

Kim
ghostpianist
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of ghostpianist
Hi Kim,

Nice videos I really enjoyed them. Have you ever tried these moves in a real game?

gp
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Greeks, Seconds, Bottoms, Faros and False Shuffles (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL