The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » WOW by Masuda (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
jquackc
View Profile
Loyal user
JC - Denver
218 Posts

Profile of jquackc
The one time I used WOW (while it was demoed at a magic shop) I didn't do the visual change. The change is just too magical for one not to alteast look at the sleeve. So I used in a different context. I place an indifferent card in the sleeve, showed it to really be there. Then turned it face down and left it on the table. Shuffled the deck, then gave my magical gesture, and showed that the I magically exchanged the card even though it was locked in the sleeve. It was part of a transpo routine and the sleeve was to "prevent me from using sleight of hand". The change looks good but maybe too good. It just begs to be inspected. Unless you have a ungaffed dupe, then I would suggest taking heat of the gimmick.

Also, I have yet to see a performer give a reason for puting the card in the sleeve. What's the motivation? It just seems out of place.
JC

www.jquackc.com
myspace.com/jquackc

It's coming...QUACK... a new ebook from the fallible mind of JC... April 2048... groundbreaking material... limited edition... only 200 will be sold. Starting at $47... Preorder your copy toda
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Motivations are discussed in this thread.
MagicianDM
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MagicianDM
Thanks everyone!
The ultimate, most visual and practical ambitious card routine finisher - HERE!
MagicianDM
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MagicianDM
Ok, where do you guys store your WOW? I store it in the instruction sheet at the moment...
viris
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of viris
I put it in a packet trick wallet.
organicmagician
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
345 Posts

Profile of organicmagician
I think this is the double-edged sword with a wow-like effect. The visual effect is so strong, most thinking people would probably realize immediately that this strange plastic sleeve contributed to a visual, utterly impossible transposition.

That doesn't necessarily destroy the effect. And most people wouldn't be smartasses and try to explain a trick right after it happens. But, its tough for me to believe bright people don't strongly suspect the illusion was created by the sleeve, somehow.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Then switch it.
jquackc
View Profile
Loyal user
JC - Denver
218 Posts

Profile of jquackc
....or see my post above.

The strongest part of this gimmick is that you can do a visual change of a card...but that may be too strong...atleast too strong to not suspect the sleeve. The second strongest feature is that you can clearly show one card in there, and then later show and take out a different card....so if you don't do the visual change you can eliminate a bit of the "too perfect". Just show it to be one card, turn it face down, have the specs watch you very closely, then turn back over showing the change.

or you can just switch it....

or you can just not use it...

maybe a good double lift with no extra sleeve can be much stronger than a visual change inside an odd sleeve. Magic isn't strongest when it fools the eyes, it just has to fool the brain. Color changes scream sleight of hand and sleeves scream gimmicks. Undoubtedly placing one card in someones hand and having it change, even when its face down, screams MAGIC. As long as their convinced it's the same card throughout, your doing magic.

JC
JC

www.jquackc.com
myspace.com/jquackc

It's coming...QUACK... a new ebook from the fallible mind of JC... April 2048... groundbreaking material... limited edition... only 200 will be sold. Starting at $47... Preorder your copy toda
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
I finally picked up the non gimmicked version of the card holder. At the end I pull their signed card out and throw it on the table and make sure it's their card. At that point I take the gimmicked one and put it in my pocket next to the non gimmicked one. When they ask to see it I pull out the non gimmicked one. I've also switched it without putting it into my pocket which was even better.
fxdude
View Profile
Loyal user
Hollywood
241 Posts

Profile of fxdude
Oh and I've had a few people think it was a hologram but I showed it to them at all angles, they couldn't figure out how it worked.
MagicianDM
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MagicianDM
I used it with a 2 card transpo using only 2 cards to about 15-20 people in my class and they all freaked out. I did the change moderately -slow.
Loopback
View Profile
Veteran user
Lincoln, Nebraska
356 Posts

Profile of Loopback
Same here MagicianDM. I found the method Jamie Grant used in his magic friday column to get the best results for me.

Using it to make their signature appear on the card is also a blast. The slower the better.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5394 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Here's another great routine to explore...
Hofzinser Meets the WOW Factor

*originally found at jonracherbaumer.com
Magicmike1949
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of Magicmike1949
How many use the ungaffed Wow and a switch? If so, what's your method?
Paul D
View Profile
Elite user
NY
455 Posts

Profile of Paul D
If you need help with your double turnover there is a great video by Jay Sankey called " Oh My God" on that fine video of beautiful, taseful magic he teaches a great method to keep 2 cards together using a bit of "Spittle"... perfect your moves to the point where there is no thought about...whats next...or any hesitation because the audience can feel it and then and only then perform your magic. Remember you may be the only magician they ever see and you don't want to make the rest of us look bad. Magic is and art treat it as such. Most magicians don't try hard enough don;t be one of those guys.
-Paul
Astonishment as Therapy...?
Tyler
View Profile
Regular user
St. Louis
165 Posts

Profile of Tyler
I'm with Mike. What method(s) have you all used to ring in the gaffed WOW if using the ungaffed? What routines etc... have you found for using the ungaffed WOW?
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6995 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I don't think you would use the ungaffed Wow for anything other than to switch out the gaffed Wow so it can be examined. At least, I wouldn't use it for anything else.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
710 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
Mike,Tyler and Cameron I hope that the following helps. Just a few thoughts that have come to mind. With respect to switching OUT the gaffed wow perhaps consider creating a 'Find the Lady' type monte routine using three ungaffed and one gaffed wow?.This is my take.

Make sure that there is a duplicate QC on top of the face down deck before the effect. Make sure also that there is an ungaffed wow wallet with a 6H in it ready in your pocket. Start by introducing two red cards (6H's) and one black card (QC) from the deck of cards.For the first phase start by entertaining the audience with a normal monte routine before introducing the three wallets (one gaffed and two ungaffed) with the rationale that they are to be used 'to stop you from cheating'.The QC naturally goes into the gaffed wow and the two red 6C's into the two ungaffed wallets.You could even put elastic bands around the wallets to emphasise the fact that the cards are 'bound' so that you cannot tamper with them.

For the second phase move the three wallets around face down and reveal that what the spectator believes is the QC is infact one of the 6H's. You say that you will now make it easier for them by eliminating one of the sixes so that the odds are now more in their favour and you do so by placing the gaffed wow (the QC but appearing to show the 6H image) into your pocket.

Third phase with the two ungaffed wallets will naturally result in spectator failing to locate the Queen. Then you reintroduce what the spectator will assume to be 'the other 6H'. Of course this time you switch for an ungaffed wow with real 6H.

Fourth phase is to move three wallets about again perhaps this time with the 'two red cards' remaining face up during the moves only to be turned face down at the very last minute. Now surely the spectator will find the QC you say...and the spectator again fails to find Queen.

One might end the effect by showing that all three cards are infact 6H's and that the Queen has completely disappeared. I might then gently direct the spectator to turn over the top card on the deck to reveal the duplicate QC. How it got there is anyone's guess! With respect to the patter it is O.K to involve the spectator but not perhaps to challenge him/her overtly. One might better present the routine with the magician himself being fooled each time along with the audience. This makes for better entertainment. With this routine there is no heat on the pocket.You are left completely clean and the ungaffed wow's can of course be closely examined at the end of the effect.

Anyway best wishes Andy.
micromega123
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of micromega123
Would you all prefer the handling as explained in the instructions or a card control. I would think that the handling in the instructions, although requiring some setup, looks cleaner. what's your opinion?
rohojamagic
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of rohojamagic
Hi ...
This may be a help for some of you guys who are struggling with a DL. I always think a DL looks awkward, so try this....
Prepare a deck with Ro****ng f***d. Do all the faces of all cards and the back of the "wow" card.
With a deck prepared like this it is easy to turn the "wow" card with the chosen card together ... no DL problem.

Rohojamagic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » WOW by Masuda (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL