The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Etienne Pradier 2 Disc DVD set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Thanks Luke, it certainly sounds interesting
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Ok guys here we go. I have watched the dvd set and unfortunatly have to say that I was not impressed at all. The effects are good but the explanations on all the tricks are terrible. No time had gone into the explanations. It was presented as if we should already know the working and handling on all the effects performed. Not very well presented at all. I felt that all the explanations were rushed and for those who are perhaps not so advanced, there was no real teaching on how certain moves are done, it is just shown what is done. The section where is says about varios slights/moves was a waste of time. It just shows you what each move is called but does not really teach you in any detail how to perform each move - again for the not so advanced I would imagine them feeling quite unhappy.

The pocket management section??? What was the point??? He doesn't give you advise on how to pocket manage yet just shows you where he puts all his stuff - v disapointed in that part. This was one of the reasons why I ordered this as hints and tips from working pros are priceless. Obviously not in this case.

I could be here all day giving a negative review of this dvd set but just want to end by saying that I am disapointed. Having seen some of the other magicians who release dvds and their way of the explanations etc, then my personal opinion is that he didn't do a good job - again the whole dvd set felt rushed and not much time was giving for the explanations etc. On a plus note, I am glad that each effect was filmed live so you had a feel of what each trick looked like performed in the real world. All the tricks on the dvds are very good and strong close up magic, but to be honest that was about it Smile

sorry guys
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
Re: "All the tricks on the dvds are very good and strong close up magic, but to be honest that was about it "

What more do you want? Someone to hold your hand?
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
No, I was expecting for a better production of the dvds. It would have been nice to see some real time and effort gone into it, explaining the other important issues and factors. E.g better explanations and discussions on each trick. Like I mentioned I felt every explanation was rushed and did not go into any detail about each performance, hints and tips, how he made the ring flight case up etc etc. To me, it was presumed that we all SHOULD know the workings and handlings of each trick. All the explanations gave was the secret behind them. There was no real discussion on handling tips, audience management etc that I thought would have been perfect for this type of dvd. I hate to compare, but what a difference in the Martin Sanderson dvds to this set. Yes it is still based around coporate and close up yet Martin's dvds are far better produced.

My main reason for buying this set was not so that I can learn new tricks but to perhaps gain more knowledge, and learn hints and tips from a pro in this field. E.g where it said about pocket management. I would have paid for this alone to hear a pro talk and discuss the correct way to manage your pockets. But was very disapointed when what pocket management was, was Etienne just showing you which pocket he carries everything in - that's not pocket management, to me anyway.

I don't know why but I was just expecting a bit more from the dvds, for the reasons above. Again just my opinion.
daviaac
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of daviaac
PRINCE, shame you didn't like the dvd's to me because I knew the sleights taught and how to do them before watching the dvd it id not make a difference to me however to a beginner this may deem it to be rather confusing to learn, which is a shame. However I beleive this dvd not to be for beginner's and only a professional or an advanced hobbyiest (is that a word) would benefit from this dvd.

each to there own I suppose

luke

p.s. I found the pocket managment helpful in that I can get a feel for how a professional is set up for the show and what pockets would be useful for what items. guaranteed it was not what I expected but I still learnt from it and am still thankful I bought the dvd.
- the secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Quote:
On May 12, 2008, Douglas Lippert wrote:
Re: "All the tricks on the dvds are very good and strong close up magic, but to be honest that was about it "

Snarky Reply! Viva La France!!!
Holden
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Holden
Quote:
On Nov 15, 2023, MoonRazor wrote:
Quote:
On May 12, 2008, Douglas Lippert wrote:

Snarky Reply! Viva La France!!!

15 year old thread bump. Seems legit.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Etienne Pradier 2 Disc DVD set (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL