The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » "Killer" tricks for beginner (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
OleGunnar
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of OleGunnar
Hi all!

I'm from Ukraine, beginner in magic. Thanks to MJMMagic ( good service ), I have some items - some gaffed deck, D-Lite, egg bag, 260q balloons.

But in March, day 14, birthday of my son ( 10 years ).

Please recommend me a killer tricks.

I know only OMNI DECK ( amazing end of trick ), Koornwinder Car ( show of Juan Tamariz ), some sponge ball routine.

Please, tell me any more killer routine ( for price of one item 10$-40$ ) ?

Wait for reply, thanks.
JC Johns
View Profile
Regular user
Annapolis, MD, USA
133 Posts

Profile of JC Johns
I would recommend a good book, like Tarbell Vol. 1. It would give you many "killer" tricks, for not much money.

As far as non-book items, it's hard to go wrong with an Invisible Deck - cheap and powerful effect if you put in a little practice.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Are you wanting to do a whole show, or just to add a bit of magic to the party? It's probably too late to make an entire show, but you can certainly add some fun.

Your sponge balls are a very good start. A nice and snappy sponge ball routine will play very well with the kids. You can have some fun with the D'lites as well. Just pull the light from a child's ear and watch the faces. This is probably enough. Keep the focus on the birthday boy, and just add a bit of fun as the party progresses. Balloons are always a nice giveaway at the end.

Good luck.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
I can't agree more with jcjohns. You can never go wrong with a good book. Tarbell course is excellent, as well as the Mark Wilson Course in Magic. You will find a little bit of each facet of magic as well as some small illusions.

Eddy
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
Mustang
View Profile
Veteran user
London, England
316 Posts

Profile of Mustang
Get hold of a manuscript for Crazy Man's Handcuffs...costs less than $5, and it's a surefire opener.
"A magician is one who appreciates the difference between knowing how a trick is done, and knowing how to do a trick."
OleGunnar
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of OleGunnar
Thanks for all. For birthday of my kinder - I want add some FUN routine.

First question : routine "Card from mouth" use stripper deck? I see how work Jeff Hobson this routine - very funny.

I think Jeff use stripper deck; spectator select one card, put signature, and return this card to deck. If deck is stripper - easy to find spectator card. Jeff with some manipulation pull this card to mouth.
Question : what this manipulation ?

Second question : routine "Doggy Bag" by Jeff Hobson. Very funny for kids! Since I have balloons, I want to use this routine. Think, exist TWO bag. First bag - with some balloon, put in to second bag with small balloon doggy on bottom of bag. At finish of routine (one doggy-balloon is broken), Jeff do "buuummm" with bags, and safe doggy from second bag is present.
Question : I am not mistaken?

Wait for reply, thanks.
jeffhobson
View Profile
V.I.P.
246 Posts

Profile of jeffhobson
Hello Ole,
The "Card in Mouth" is my signature performance trick. I do not sell the routine or teach the trick. It would not be ethical to copy someone else's presentation. However, I did teach my Balloon Doggie trick you speak of in my lecture on The Lecture Network. Go to: http://www.TheLectureNetwork.com You get MANY lectures all on your computer over the Internet.
The Hilarious Host of Las Vegas!
VISIT my magic shop: www.HobsonsChoiceMagic.com
OleGunnar
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of OleGunnar
Hi Jeff :

I'm surprised, very surprised. Some days ago, we look to you on Ukrainian TV, and today - reply from You. This is AMAZING !!!

Thanks for link. And thanks for good emotions. Smile
KidMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Bradford
183 Posts

Profile of KidMagic
I would reccomend a invisible deck (there about $10), and a card toon deck or a fart toon deck (about $15-25).

Zach
Magically yours,
KidMagic/Zachary Gauthier
www.kidmagic.ca
Eric Simmatis
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Eric Simmatis
Quote:
On 2008-02-13 20:51, Mustang wrote:
Get hold of a manuscript for Crazy Man's Handcuffs...costs less than $5, and it's a surefire opener.

Or Link...He could do crazy mans and still have something to practise!
robert bianchi
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
159 Posts

Profile of robert bianchi
You know, I still use an old magic coin box with kids. For beginers, is inexpensive, and gets great reacions. Same with Svengali Deck and a couple of routines that go along with it.

Also, and ash pen can produce some great mentalism effects that kill.

And for fun and a great effect, self tying shoelaces is awesome, fun, and gets their attention.

Have fun.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Ole,

What works for kids is not always what works for adults. At the Café, we have a forum on this kind of magic, so please feel free to look around.

Having said that . . .
Basically, your magic has to be very visual and not very complicated in its structure.

Here are a couple of things that work nice for me

Lota-water-bowl (where you keep pouring water out of an apparantly empty bowl - I have a teddy bear sitting on top of the bowl and structure my jokes around him trying to annoy me. There are many ploys on how to explain the existance of the water, so feel free to play around.

The egg bag (I use a rubber egg that I drop when handing the egg out for examination - it never fails . . . )

Silk from change bag

Vanishing silk (TT)

Tear and restored newspaper

Multiplying sponge balls

A Mickey Mouse deck of cards that can be used nicely for some card tricks - having King Mickey always returning to the top of the deck (ACR) seems to go well with the kids . . .

There are some other kids party props, but most of them are rather expensive and I do not want to recommend them for a once or twice a year type of activity. But if money is not the issue, just look up some magic online shops.

All the best

Andy

PS - if you consider to develop your magic, please read this as well
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=41&35
Cards never lie
OleGunnar
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of OleGunnar
Thanks for all ! I go to practice some tricks.
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Killer tricks for beginners must be:

Crazy mans handcuffs
a Spongeball routine
Ambitious Card,Chicago Opener,First here then there
Cut and restored Rope
Professors Nightmare
Vanishing Silk/Silk to Panty
Chop cup routine

Hope this helps.
Rory Diamond
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Rory Diamond
I saw Simon Lovell do the exact Card in Mouth Routine that I have seen Hobson do.
trickytrav
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of trickytrav
Id recommend Aldo Colombinis Roped In DVD you will definitely find something you can do with rope in here.
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
Actually Jeff and my routines are not the exact same and we have discussed the effect together many times. One great occasion in Vegas was where we did duelling card to mouths simultaneously - it was a riot.

We both developed our routines independantly and, if you study both carefully, there are very few cross-overs between them.

Jeff is a great buddy and tremendous fun to just hang out with. His lecture download thingy (see his post above) is well worth your time and effort to vist!

Simon Lovell
Rory Diamond
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of Rory Diamond
Hey, Simon, I am not trying to be rude or anything, but please explain this to me. I have seen both you and Jeff do the trick. Maybe I am forgetting something about the routine, but they both looked the same to me. Perhaps he had a couple different jokes than you did, perhaps a different character. But the basic premise of putting the whole deck in your mouth, and moving the cards up and down like a big duck mouth remains the same, and it was pretty much the main gag of the routine. I am sure this could be argued back and forth, but as an audience member I am telling you they look the same to me. I am not knocking it, of course it is funny, I am not trying to be critical. But how can two people have basically the same act, who knows who presented it first, and then you read posts like the one above that says that is "my signature routine"? By definition it can't be, if someome else is doing it- whether they have permission or not. I am not understanding this- what is the protocol for a trick or joke being "yours"? What if someone else thought of this same card gag independently? If they perform it, would they hear "hey, that's Hobson's routine, oh, and Simon Lovell can do it too, but not you!" I would like to know how this "ownership" evolves, because it does not make any sense. I am just asking, not trying to start something. Please give us an example- thanks
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
Actually Jeff doesn't do the duck bit with the deck that I do. We both also use different folds. I unfold the card with my tongue, he doesn't. He spits the cards out of his mouth at the end, I don't. He also has a wrong card as a pre bit of business to the final reveal, again I don't. I could go on but there are many differences!

BTW the first guy I saw that put the deck into his mouth for the load cover was, although rather more elegantly than me, Frank Garcia! He just touched the deck to his mouth rather than almost eating it as I tend to do. Both Jeff and I use the deck in the mouth as a comedic vehicle for the laughs.

Finally card to mouth is an effect that pre-dates us both - after a long discussion we both agreed that it just seemed obvious to put the deck in the mouth for both simplicity and comedic reasons. Great minds think alike I guess!

BTW for the record I don't claim anything other than doing a funny card to mouth routine in my show. Jeff's is also very funny too. What makes them signature pieces for both of us is the personality of the performer - using the trick as a vehicle! I don't claim ownership of it at all - my routine is in my book Simon Says for all to use. It's also on one of my DVDs.

Hope that helps!

Simon
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
So there you go, OleGunnar. Don't do Hobson's version, do Simon Lovell's routine that's published for anyone to do. Have fun!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » "Killer" tricks for beginner (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL