The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Best "ice breaker" ? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
dennper
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of dennper
Hi All,
Ok sorry for starting another "best" thread, but specifically looking for what's your favorite 'ice breaker'? This would be something that doesn't involve launching into a routine or buildup, or pulling out props that need introduction (or cards, sorry), or being asked to do something, but just a "there it is" and watch the reactions. Situations might be standing in a group at a cocktail party or something similar. You gain attention and something magical just happens. Ideas?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I've had fun with an ITR (things move and float), Baumann's 'Metalogic' (spoon bends), Self Folding Bill (the bartender's tip doesn't want to leave me).

If I notice that anyones watching me I do these things as if I'm just screwing around. Believe me, people freak out!
dennper
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of dennper
Thanks Jaz, that's the kind of things I'm looking for, like a simple coin vanish. Still experimenting with ITR and have a lot of work left to do!
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
If you're a smoker then here are some others:
"Color Changing Lighter". A dealer item using a BIC lighter.
Cigarette rise from cig box.
"Cigarama" Cig production routine by Frank Garcia. A similar version by Chanin in Tarbell too.
"Cigarette Up the Nose" by Gary Kosnitzky. Dealer item.

Others.
"Pop Up Tie". Dealer item.
"Self Tying Shoelace". Dealer item.
"Healed and Sealed Soda" by Anders Moden. Dealer item.
nexile
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of nexile
Have you ever tried to just say hi =) and try not to show anyone anything magical. BUT THEN...after a while completely blow them away? They'll never expect it.
"Muggs"
View Profile
New user
Bridgeport, CT
64 Posts

Profile of
Torn and restored cocktail napkin works.

Use the plastic cocktail straws for cut and restored straw, or penetrating straws. The penetrating straws just looks like your tying two plastic straws in a knot while chatting with them and then disolve through each other.

These all seem simple to us but are very surprising to non-magicians.

Muggs
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Testacroce
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
ghageman
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of ghageman
Comedy Prediction by Aldo Colombini. Always breaks the ice for me!
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I like the paper rose. At events I'll carry a few nail puzzles and ask for help with them. The conversation starts from there.
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.safetymagicshows.com
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
Hands down, a Floating Bill effect.

Guy I used to work with killed with this. The stance attracts attention ("Hey, look at that guy over there...what's he doing?" seems to be the crowd's typical attitude -- it's a non-confrontational approach that draws people in).

Besides watching the lighting and avoiding beady-eyed little kids with REALLY good vision, the only problem was follow up material. Nothin' else looked quite as Magical.
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
Best impromtu effect for me is Stigmata.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2263 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Nothing gets people laughing and talking like the $100 bill switch.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
magicwatcher2005
View Profile
Elite user
Washington state
446 Posts

Profile of magicwatcher2005
Also anything with the Riggs butterfly pad
Angry Viper
View Profile
New user
Gold Coast, Australia
6 Posts

Profile of Angry Viper
Crazy mans handcuffs, quick, simple and very visual. Never fails to hook people into wanting to see more
discjockey
View Profile
Elite user
451 Posts

Profile of discjockey
I've found that doing magic right away for a group of people detracts from your overall performance. (Unless of course you are working a restaurant, for obvious reasons). But if you are strictly performing as a hobby, your best bet is to approach a group and start talking. Work the conversation to match the presentation of your opening effect. Then go from there.

Instead of throwing magic in their faces, you establish yourself first as a person, not a magician.
daviaac
View Profile
Veteran user
351 Posts

Profile of daviaac
I just like productions of any kinds the magical the better perhaps use whatever you have just produces a deck of cards from an ungimmicked wallet dave forrest. flowers from nowhere david stone etc

luke
- the secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources
Magic CPA
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of Magic CPA
Mismade bill. I prefer to start by displaying the mismade bill first (a real attention-getter) and then turning it into a regular $1 bill. This way, nobody knows you're doing a magic trick until the end. The patter I use is "Look what I got from the ATM machine this morning..." I got this idea from the book Switch and it works great.
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Quote:
On 2008-03-31 13:18, Magic CPA wrote:
Mismade bill. I prefer to start by displaying the mismade bill first (a real attention-getter) and then turning it into a regular $1 bill. This way, nobody knows you're doing a magic trick until the end. The patter I use is "Look what I got from the ATM machine this morning..." I got this idea from the book Switch and it works great.

That is excellent!

Mike
Kaarlo von Freymann
View Profile
Loyal user
Finland
203 Posts

Profile of Kaarlo von Freymann
Two things I always carry with me: Peter Nardi's wallet and Free Will

Kaarlo von Freymann Helsinki Finland
Kaarlo von Freymann - Helsinki- Finland
mrdane
View Profile
Regular user
Sacramento / San Francisco
191 Posts

Profile of mrdane
For me, pretty much anything with money gets people interested. 5 and 1 or even Fraud. Although I try to start with something from the enviornment such as a sugar packet.
"The Great Danedini"
www.DaneDini.com
@DaneDini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Best "ice breaker" ? (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL