We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Bill switch with no gimmicks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1579 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Several years ago, I first learned a bill switch that involves no gimmicks or TT, but simply required folding the bill three times in half (into eights), and then unfolding the second bill (which was pre-folded in the same manner) for the switch. I learned it in The Little Giant Encyclopedia of Card & Magic Tricks by the Diagram Group, where the effect is called "Making Money." As described there, the performer folds a piece of paper in half several times, and then unfolds it as a banknote - I made it a bill switch by using another bill instead of the paper. I'm sure that doing a bill switch using this folding technique is not a new idea, so I'm wondering about the original source and name of this particular bill switch - can anyone give me any pointers in the right direction?
David Tower
View Profile
Regular user
David Tower
124 Posts

Profile of David Tower
Gregory,

The first time I saw a version of this (which I still use often) was developed and demonstrated by Jarle Leirpoll from Norway. In his version, you can show the bill on both sides in an extremely convincing manner, and in many ways, I feel that it is superior to the TT version. I also watched it demonstrated on the first "Reel Magic Quarterly" by John Lovick, but he didn't claim to have created it.

I am not sure if this is the version that you are talking about, or the one where the bills are glued together like the old versions of the torn & restored tissue strip. Something similar to that can be found in the Mark Wilson Course in Magic, among others, so I am not sure who created that. My guess is that it is very old.

David Tower
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
1579 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Today, I came across the "Billet Switch" in Marvin Kaye's Stein and Day Handbook of Magic (p.108), which also relies on folding only. But Kaye's method is slightly different - it begins with two length-way folds, and then two vertical folds. The method I learned from the The Little Giant Encyclopedia uses only three folds and is slightly more visual: first there are two vertical folds, then a horizontal fold, and then you turn it over and unfold for the switch. Simple, but effective. Does that sound the same as the version demonstrated by Leirpoll and Lovick?
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5374 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
I might suggest for a look at the history of the bill switch, we look at John Lovick's book "Switch".... There is so much material in this book... Also, you can find Lovick's own switch in the first issue of Reel Magic Quarterly.

koz
Darby
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
236 Posts

Profile of Darby
ChangeaBill is also a very good no-gimmick switch.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5390 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
As for the billet switch, I highly recommend Elliott Bresler's recently released ebook, "Switchcraft."
Conus
View Profile
Special user
647 Posts

Profile of Conus
Quote:
I'm sure that doing a bill switch using this folding technique is not a new idea...

Hello gregorytopov,

Michael Ammar included a multi-bill version called the "Two Dollar Bill Tear" in his book Encore 3. Ammar points out that the effect first appeared in Jerry Mentzer's "Closeup Cavalcade." The setup is basically the same as the effect you mentioned in the "Little Giant".

The idea of producing a magical change by folding is old -- in fact, Buddha papers rely on this principle. Some silk effects are based on the same idea. In a similar vein, the time-honored trick "Card to Matchbox" is effected through a variation of the same principle.

Let's not overlook that the principle is also applied to many Torn and Restored effects. Some effects use "untethered" props, while others employ the special extra something described in the trick you cited from "Little Giant".

Fred Berthelot's DVD Changeabill, mentioned above by Darby, is very good and teaches an ungimmicked switch. In his DVD, Fred credits my own tabled variation as an invisible switch or a billet switch.

Hope this helps.
Howard Coberly
View Profile
Loyal user
Irvine, California
239 Posts

Profile of Howard Coberly
In the original Koslowski booklet on the bill switch, he talks about doing the switch without the TT. Just a reference.
"Our town used to be more fortunate...not a single winter passed without the visit of some star.
There used to be famous actors and singers, while today, God only knows! Nobody visits except magicians and organ-grinders. No esthetic satisfaction."
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3000 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Quote:
On 2008-02-16 11:31, Magiguy wrote:
As for the billet switch, I highly recommend Elliott Bresler's recently released ebook, "Switchcraft."

Thank you so much for the recommendation.

Elliott
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
Erik Gerard explains a tipless bill switch in his lecture notes circa 1988. His version requires very little set-up and makes it a seemingly impromptu piece.

"All things being Equal, I'm having a Splenda day."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Bill switch with no gimmicks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL