The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The New Craig Petty Coin DVD's (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1130 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Need a breath of fresh magical air? Like to experience a magic DVD that really IS different? Now Craig has his first two DVD’s out, the magic fraternity is in for a true treat. I have heard there is a plan to do six volumes and I personally cannot wait to see what else is in store from this exceptional young thinker and DOER in magic!

Volume two of Craig’s set is called ‘Flipped Out’. If you have Troy Hooser’s work on the flipper coin you may have assumed most of it’s potential has already been explored. After seeing Craig’s material, you will realise that theory is blown out the window! The depth and variety of material Craig has come up with truly adds to the body of flipper coin work in a significant way.

You will also find this DVD very entertaining! Craig is a hyper, cartoon like character with a big personality and great magical chops. A pleasure to watch and the reactions showed this. Some of the effects are pretty bold and you will definitely need audience management skills and also need to choose your mark well. Having said this when you do get a chance to use those effects, it will be some of the most mind altering coin magic you could hope to achieve.

The other thing that is worth mentioning is the quality of your flipper coin. Using a ‘full edge’, well made type flipper (and I’m sure we all know who makes those) would be a good advantage in SOME of Craig’s work as the open flipper is sometimes placed on a helper’s hand. Craig has many strategies and subtleties around this that make things more manageable. In fact one of the best things about Craig’s material is that it is accessible and some of the routines are pretty easy on the sleights side while others will provide a decent challenge but nothing too heavy. The strength of the actual magic is consistently excellent.

Effects

Cartoon Coins – A very impressive portable hole routine with multiple effects and an in the hands finish. It is specifically designed for table hopping. You don’t need a close up mat to do this. The routine introduces Craig’s great performance skills and obviously well honed construction and sequencing.

Flipping wild – Two coins change into a different coin one at a time, very nice structure and not a knucklebuster to do.

Empowerment – This is my favourite! It is an awesome way to do a 4 coins accross. They travel from YOUR HELPER’S HANDS initially into your hands and then later into someone elses hands. Each phase is designed to build in impact and structured to maintain the necessary control of your helper. The second phase is unbelievably visible and literally got instant gasps from EVERYONE watching in the performance. The final bold phase is basically constructed as a dual reality situation through clever ruses of patter and control. It is important to pay attention to the details of Craig’s performences as they are critical, particularly the audience management. This is a masterful piece of magic!

WTF – A highly visual 4 coins through table that is oh so clean and well structured. In appearance the coins are simply tossed fom your open hand onto the table top and one coin simply melts straight through the table each time. Craig adds some impotant subtleties in the way he sequences each phase and then ends on a surprise!

Flipped Across – Another 4 coins across with attitude. This routine bears some similarities to Empowerment but I do understand why Craig includes it as some performers may be more comfortable doing this one from an audence management perspective.

Flipped Out – Pure eye candy coin fantasy, this one has it all. 3 coins appear, travel and vanish again. Best of all SHHHHHHHHHHH... it’s not that tough to do and makes you look like a virtuoso!!

Full House Assembly – I suspect this routine may be one of Craig’s favourites, he performs ths one particularly well and gets strong reactions to each phase. One by one the coins travel under the card box. Thi finish is a double kicker, one of the coins vanishes and shows up up inside the box and inside the deck right next to a previous selection. Then as Craig goes to do a repeat of this, well...let’s just say something different happens.

Coincussed – A ‘hanging coins’ routine given new life. Well pieced together to take full advantage of the flipper.

Flesh Pockets – A masterful performance with a great plot. Again the reactions demonstrate how much fun and amazement Craig gets from his magic. This is another in ‘their hands’ routine that revolves around a penetration through peoples hands.

In summary, Craig is a very exciting talent and I would not hesitate in strongly urging all coin workers to have a good look at his work. It is ALL high quality, well honed material and abosultely pushes the use of the flipper to the limits of possibilities. This gets my highest recommendation due to great value for money, true innovation and most importantly, STRONG magic.

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
Jaz2005
View Profile
Veteran user
I wish I had time to get more than
339 Posts

Profile of Jaz2005
Al and Gary thanks for your honest reviews of this DVD.

We hope you enjoy the next releases in the set as much as this one.

best regards
Jaz
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
To be completely honest, I've never heard of a "coin bag" before - I'm looking forward to seeing both DVDs . . .
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hi Doug

To be honest you have been a big inspiration in my magic. The coin bag is an old prop that I believe I have breathed new life into (much as you did with the coin and cup). Seeing how much magic you extracted from one simple prop really inspired me when I was developing material with the coin bag. I truly believe that both of these DVDs contain really workers and contain material I have made my living with for many, many years.

Thanks so much for your review Al. I appreciate everything you have said and I hope you enjoy the Attack of The Bag as much as Flipped Out.

If I can help anyone with any of the routines do not hesitate to get in touch with me.

Craig
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Is the bag included? Or is there a place I could pick one of these up? These DVDs look interesting. I can't wait to get my hands on them.

Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hi Joe, thanks for your interest.

There are two coin bags included with The Attach of the Bag. One routine requires two bags but he second bag has been mainly included as a spare. To be honest I carry my coins around in these bags which means I am always ready to perform any of the bag routines but if I don't want to perform a bag routine I can just tip the coins out and do a regular coin routine.

Thanks again

Craig
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1693 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Thanks Craig, I'll be placing my order later this week.

Best,
Joe
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1142 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
Hi Craig - Thanks for the nice comments. Like Joe, I'll be getting both DVDs in the next week. Looking forward to playing with a new toy Smile

Doug
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hi Doug and Joe,

I really think you will enjoy these DVD's but as soon as you get them let me know what you think.

And for anyone else reading this thread buy anything that Doug Brewer brings out. The Unexpected Visitor still ranks as one of the best books on coin magic (IMO) ever released. If you have not yet got his latest DVD set Half and Half don't walk RUN to the shops and buy it now.

Also in a later volume (number 5) of my DVD set there is a routine that uses a mini coin purse which can only be got from Joe Cole. Microeconomics is a great book - the stuff by Curtis Cam alone is worth the price of the book.

Thanks again everyone for your interest

Craig
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Michael JAY HAS JUST REVIEWED THE FLIPPED OUT DVD. I HAVE PUT A COPY OF HIS REVIEW BELOW FOR EVERYONE TO READ. HOPE IT HELPS. CRAIG

Craig has asked me to do a review of the first two DVDs in his series. As a result, these DVDs were sent to me free of charge. Furthermore, Craig is a very good friend of mine. I wanted to get that out of the way, in the spirit of full disclosure. But, I'll tell you what I told Craig when he asked me to do this: "Make sure that this is what you want, because I will be brutally honest."

Now, I'm not going to get into "Attack of the Bag" at this point. There is far too much material on "Flipped Out" for me to even begin to honestly watch the second DVD. Information overload, as it were.

So, to the technical side, let's start with:

Directed by Kevin Tasker & Andrew Phan

Producer: Kevin Tasker

Script Editors: Kevin Tasker & Andrew Phan

Editors: Kevin Tasker & Andrew Phan

Executive Producers: Kevin Tasker & Max Somerset

Music: Grow Apple Tree Productions

Filmed on location at Foxes Manor (http://www.foxesmanor.com/)

A Trapdoor Production in association with World Magic Distribution

Okay, that being out of the way, I have to comment on the obvious fact that only two guys are really responsible for the quality of this DVD. I think, I honestly believe, that they would do well to pull in some extra technical support in their endeavor, rather than banking on their own, personal skills.

The quality of the video is top notch. You'll simply not find better video from any production company out there (unless you include all of Hollywood). The sound is poorly dealt with, however. They used a lapel mic, which means that every time Craig turns to his right, you lose the sound of his voice in the performance part of the DVD. It's still there, but you'll either have to listen very carefully or have your finger on the up and down volume.

The music is very good. It is pleasant and not overpowering at any time. The music fits the theme and the feel of this DVD - I don't see as it could have been better in any way.

The location is conducive to teaching and showing magic. The fireplace in the background made for pleasurable aesthetics. Foxes Manor is billed as, "The UK's premier establishment for magical and mystical entertainment." I can fully go along with that.

Now, to the heart of what any of us gives a *** about: The Magic.

This is, to date, the ultimate guide to the flipper coin. Craig is brilliant in his thinking and his work. If you own a flipper coin (specifically, a gravity flipper), this is must have material. Craig explores possibilities with this coin that have never before been explored.

This DVD is not for a beginner to coin magic. There are moves that are required in many of the routines that will challenge an intermediate coin magician. The sleights are not among the easiest out there, but they are the most simple in getting to the magic (which is the proper way of doing things).

I've seen, all too many times, magicians complicate routines with useless moves. There is none of that in Craig's offerings to the purchaser of this DVD. It is straight forward stuff.

Unlike a great deal of material that is available in this vast wasteland that is the magic industry, the misdirection is built into the routines offered. The subtleties that Craig teaches (quite often between the lines) in his routines are pure gold. These are all multi-layered routines that succeed on several levels. This isn't the general garbage that is fed to magicians now-a-days. This is the real thing.

In fact, watching the performance part of this DVD is just as important as watching the explanations. Craig is a very charming chap, disarming in fact. Even if the material in the explanation area goes beyond the viewer, simply by watching Craig in performance you can learn a great deal. To my way of thinking, this makes the DVD succeed on many levels.

This DVD, priced at £15.00 is more than a fair deal. The important thing is that you can invest your time into learning just one of the routines taught on this DVD and have your money's worth. The real value lies in the fact that the methods taught on this DVD are springboards for coming up with your own material. While Craig spends his time teaching you some very important subtleties in coin handling, the fact of the matter is that while I watched it, I was able to think of handling ideas of my own. I can actually see where taking one of these routines (or even marrying two of them together) will allow me to make this my own and allow my personal work to evolve to other effects.

That is powerful. In fact, in my opinion, that is the most important sell point of this DVD. Craig doesn't just give you routines, he gives you material that you can develop to suit your own needs.

And for you guys who seem to always be on the lookout for "commercial" material, this more than does the job for you. Assuming that you are an intermediate coin worker, you can take any of these routines and have them ready to go with under a week's worth of work. If you are advanced, then an hour or two will suit your needs.

There are, all in all, 9 routines on this DVD. I'm not going to break each one down for the main reason that what I find to be worth studying you may not and vice versa. This comes down to personal opinion and what you can use and what you may not be able to put to use. I do want to share an experience with you all, though...

Many years ago, I attended a Danny Archer lecture. Now, Danny is very good at what he does, but his style just doesn't suit me. He performed a trick using a flipper and a shell. I was very disappointed with his handling, because it really did telegraph that something just wasn't right. You might not have caught that "move," but you knew that a move took place. I am a big fan of naturalness of motion and any time that something doesn't look right, if your spectators know something's up, the magic is lost (even though they don't know what it is, the magic is still lost).

On this DVD, Craig presents a routine using the flipper in conjunction with the shell (only one routine, though - everything else is strictly flipper work). Okay, nothing new there. But the naturalness of motion that Craig has worked out makes what I thought to be a good theory at the time actually workable. Very, very nice.

Summing it all up, I highly recommend this DVD to any coin worker. For the beginner, you'll learn some extremely important subtleties and have material for which you can aspire. For the intermediate, you'll be challenged but will not find it out of your grasp. For the advanced, you'll have immediately workable and commercial material to add to you repertoire.

Yes, highly recommended.

Mike.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I've always found Danny Archer to be one of the best. Who's Michael Jay?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Hi Chris, Michael is most well known for writing for online visions every month. Here is link to a small profile and some of his articles.

http://www.online-visions.com/michaeljay/index.html

Hope this helps

Craig
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Thanks Craig. I'll take a look.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1130 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
This is number one in the Craig Petty series of six releases and as with number two ‘Flipped Out’, Craig’s creativity and approach to his magic is highly admirable. I have made no secret of the fact that I am a big fan of this new kid on the block. Craig’s ‘Attack of the Bag’ is another suprisingly diverse range of effects with the humble coin bag. The DVD is supplied with the needed bags (two bags - one is a spare although one routine uses two bags). It has a surprising array of magic and is sure to provide far more gristle to chew than you might first imagine.

Craig has a happy knack of getting ‘much from little’ with his explorations of common gimmicks that many of us have long since put away in the ubiquitous sock drawer. Exhibit A, the Coin Bag. All I can do is sit there and shake my head as Craig extracts nine highly innovative, strong magical effects that any worker would be proud and GLAD to have in their repertoire all out of a lousy *** COIN BAG. This guy is driving me nuts! How can one man come up with this much dynamite material with such seemingly humble tools, basically what most people would perceive as single effect prop such as the coin bag (or in the case of Craig’s other awesome release ‘Flipped Out’, a master course in using the flipper coin).

Apparently this isn’t the full extent of Craig’s repertoire with these items either, in fact is is said he has over a hundred coin bag routines. The mind boggles. Here is a quick run down of the treats on offer.

Chop Bag – Great alternative to a chop cup using the bag and single coin. The illusion Craig creates here is flawless and best of all - easy, as long as you can do a decent vanish. The final load finish tops an excellent routine.

Piggy Bank – A very clean production of three coins using the bag to produce each one individually.

Coins in Cartoon Motion – This is a ‘meaty’ routine with plenty of effects built in. Unbelieveable creativity in construction. The use of the bag is quite different in this routine and makes use of much more than just the basic coin vanishing property of the bag.

Strange Exchange – A two bag coins across routine. Very easy to do routine only slightly compromised by the handling procedures being a little complex. Good if you like easy to do magic.

Recorded Delivery – Would you believe a signed coin transposition (Craig uses stickers) using the methodology of the bag!

Wild Coin – This will probably get overlooked because the coins Craig used did not contrast strongly for the camera however this wild coin routine using the bag is yet another creative gem. Once again using easy to do moves, Craig delivers a solid routine where three coins change one at a time and are droped into a cup. For the finale, the three coins are tipped from the cup and are seen to have changed back again. Yes folks, it really is true all this with that SAME *** BAG!

Money in the Bag – For me, this one is the showcase! This is a very fine coins across (to the bag AND back again) with good variety in the routine and an ‘in their hands’ finish.

Scofield Coins – Wonderful coins through bag, this is an ideal short length routine. The final coin instantly penetrates the bag visibly, very effective!

Mutiple Selections – Would you believe a MENTAL effect with the coin bag? Craig again demonstrates creativity beyond normal earthlings’ capabilities with this fine piece of mental magic.

Needless to say, I feel Craig is a tremendous new force in magic. Importantly, what he offers is genuinely creative and inspiring magic that is absolutely 100% usable in your personal repertoire. In fact some of the routines I am learning from both Craig’s releases are fast becoming firm favourites. Even though they are only up to a hundred or so performances so far, the routines are proving to be reliable and workable strong reaction generators!

Please don’t take my word for it, I appeal to you to support this young artist, buy his stuff and try it for yourself! Through doing so we can all encourage Craig to continue to develop and share his astonishing creativity with the magic fraternity. Just as for ‘Flipped Out’, once again ‘Attack of the Bag’ is highly recommended.

Cheers,
Al
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
WOW, Thanks once again Al for your great review - I am really pleased you enjoyed both of the DVD's in the series so far.

Actually I want to thank all the magicians and members of the magical community that have emailed me, phoned me and messaged me telling me how much they like both Attack of the Bag and Flipped Out. I have had working professionals time and again tell me this material has gone straight into their working set and that is what I set out to accomplish with these DVD's. If every magician can find some material that they WILL use from these DVD's then I will have reached my goal.

The material on the DVD's (as I have said before) is straight out my working act and as you have probably noticed I love to take props that have been discarded over the years and breath new life into them. I am however very lucky that I have very talented and creative friends who help me every step of the way ensuring that the material I present is 100% the best it can be. My business partners Ethan Mark and Russell Leeds are constantly bombarding me with great ideas time and time again. In fact one of my favourite routines on Attack of the Bag is Wild Thing which was something I never would of thought of if it was not for Russell saying "why not do this?". As Al commented the changes do not show up as well as they could on the DVD due to my choice of coin but this is one routine which you really should try out - Its a worker.

If I can answer anyone's questions just let me know. Thanks once again for the positive reviews and if anyone has any good stories that have resulted from performing this material please let me know.

Craig
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Jut to ,et everyone know.

I believe Attach of the Bag and Flipped Out should be available at your local dealer by the end of the week at the latest.

Thanks again

Craig
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Looking forward to it . .
Cards never lie
magicblademan
View Profile
Special user
uk
523 Posts

Profile of magicblademan
So am I just ordered it will let you know what I think.
If you put the time in....you will achieve ...
kent1985
View Profile
Regular user
Perth (WA), Australia
148 Posts

Profile of kent1985
One word.. VISUAL.. I'm going to get this soon =)
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Thanks everyone. You sumed up both DVD's brilliantly in one word Kent - Visual. The magic on both DVD's is really visual, its designed to make your audience double take and not believe their eyes.

I hope you enjoy the DVD's when you receive them. Remember to post here and let me know what you think!!

Attack of the bag should be in stores now. I made a small mistake with Flipped Out. that will not be available till next week, but its worth the wait.

If anyone has any questions just ask.

Thanks again

Craig
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » The New Craig Petty Coin DVD's (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL