The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Helpful Non-Mentalism Books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
While replying to another post, I mentioned how a screenwriting book helped me to structure a mentalism routine. It got me thinking -- there a number of books and sources I rely on when performing mentalism that have nothing to do with mentalism per se. For example -- for writers, I'm guessing Lajos Egri's "The Art of Dramatic Writing" is the "13 Steps" kind of classic read. Also, Sandy Meisner's "On Acting" is a book I am often rereading when I want to think about character and drama. I'm guessing that for many, there are key psychology texts that are useful. I've got a few unused Amazon gift certificates -- I'm curious about some of the non-mentalism books others have found useful.
Hill
View Profile
Inner circle
1164 Posts

Profile of Hill
Desmond Morris, The Naked Ape.
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert B. Cialdini.

Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas R. Hofstadter

- entity
Mr. Mindbender
View Profile
Inner circle
1566 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mindbender
Wow -- already, the three mentioned look fascinating. I haven't read them, and each one is under $15 on Amazon -- My winter reading list is quickly growing!
ecunited
View Profile
New user
New York (Ok, New Jersey)
67 Posts

Profile of ecunited
Quote:
On 2008-02-17 21:10, entity wrote:
Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion by Robert B. Cialdini.

Godel, Escher, Bach by Douglas R. Hofstadter

- entity

Entity:

Are you serious about GEB? That was a tough read (for me anyway).

GEB doesn't immediately come to mind as a helpful book for mentalism, but then I probably only understood half of it.

Care to expand? Does it help organize your thoughts? Is it the cool stuff that helps with patter? Does reading about these great minds inspire?
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
It's inspirational with regard to so many things... the very nature of knowledge, understanding patterns of thought, the use of language to convey very abstract concepts, etc. Free will, consciousness, belief. The ability for rationality and irrationality to coexist on different levels at the same time... Lots there.

Yes, it's a bit heavy going, especially if you're in a rush to finish it. Take your time and luxuriate in the information.

- entity
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
852 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
Reading anything by Tony Buzan, creator of Mind Mapping, will reward you greatly.

Hennessey
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn
Natural Mystic
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta, GA
509 Posts

Profile of Natural Mystic
I found this book to helpful especially the chapters about Robert De Niro and Al Pacino. I purchased this book in like-new condition from Amazon for $10.00 shipped.

Act Natural: How to Speak to Any Audience by Ken Howard(Hardcover)

Book Description
Drawing from courses he taught at Harvard and from his own distinguished career as a performer, Ken Howard demonstrates how we all can become more effective public speakers and communicators by learning how actors prepare for their roles.

Why is it that some actors are more impressive on stage or screen than others--even when they’re doing nothing? "Because," says Ken Howard, "they don’t seem to be acting; they appear real, as if they’re making up the dialogue as they go along." In fact, they’re acting like mad. According to Howard, currently starring in the NBC hit show Crossing Jordan, we can all appear more relaxed, confident, and spontaneous when we step into the limelight--whether for a speech, a presentation, a job interview, or before the PTA--by learning to act natural. Based on courses he taught to Harvard undergraduates and law students on applying Method acting techniques to public speaking, Act Natural demonstrates how we all play different roles in everyday life--as bosses and employees, buyers and sellers, spouses and children, teachers and students. Howard shows how we can sell our message and ourselves--not by "faking it," but by preparing hard and long to bring our best selves into the various roles we are asked to play.

In Act Natural, Howard explains why performance anxiety is not only normal, but is what fuels great performances; he shows how we can improve our memory and prepare to deliver speeches and other long presentations without notes. The ability to move an audience is something that good actors share with all great communicators, and Howard teaches us how to step in front of people and--just like De Niro or Pacino--create real emotion that will move an audience to tears or laughter. He brings his lessons to life with stories from his own career and from the experiences of other well-known actors. Whenever we’re not alone, we are all performers and public speakers. Act Natural helps us make the most of it.

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Act-Natural-How-Sp......2&sr=1-1
"You never change the existing reality by
fighting it. Instead, create a new model that
makes the old one obsolete."
-- R. Buckminster Fuller
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
840 Posts

Profile of RileyG
Acting: The First Six Lessons by Boleslavesky
Backwards and Forwards by David Ball
A Sense of Direction by William Ball
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
ecunited
View Profile
New user
New York (Ok, New Jersey)
67 Posts

Profile of ecunited
Quote:
On 2008-02-17 21:47, entity wrote:
It's inspirational with regard to so many things... the very nature of knowledge, understanding patterns of thought, the use of language to convey very abstract concepts, etc. Free will, consciousness, belief. The ability for rationality and irrationality to coexist on different levels at the same time... Lots there.

Yes, it's a bit heavy going, especially if you're in a rush to finish it. Take your time and luxuriate in the information.

- entity

Thanks for replying. Definitely an eye-opening, thought-provoking tome. In fact, you've inspired me to re-read GEB soon and see if I can more out of it today, now that I'm hopefully a little wiser, a little more experienced, and a little more patient than I was 10 years ago when I first tried to digest it all.

MR MINDBENDER: Great thread - I hope others contribute to this already excellent list.
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1920 Posts

Profile of DT3
This may seem weird but I predict someone will back me up on this...

(Stephen Long, put down your guitar and chime in mate!)

"Inner Game of Tennis" by Timothy Gallwey.

Go get it! It will change your life as a performer and as a person.

And Stephen, if you are out there...one set...your choice of surface. But not grass. That's where my cattle feed.

DT3

P.S. Seriously...great book.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
"The Authentic Life of Billy the Kid" by Pat E. Garrett...

just kidding.

However,[and I do not know if this qualifies as non mentalism],but right next to Billy the Kid on my bedstand is "Hidden Numerical Forces" by Thomas Henry....an amazing tome!That helps keep my brain in shape.

Rich
Ringo
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of Ringo
Impro, by Keith Johnstone
Erdnase27
View Profile
Inner circle
2505 Posts

Profile of Erdnase27
Psychology books are very useful!
Matt Pulsar
View Profile
Inner circle
1130 Posts

Profile of Matt Pulsar
Writing Down the Bones, Natalie Goldberg;

All of Harry Lorayne's memory books.

The Memory Bible, Gary Small, M.D.

The Trilogy of Robertson Davies.

Man Out of Time, The Biography of Nikola Tesla, Chaney.

The Boy Electrician

The Hiram Key

This list could go on and on.
Belief Manifests Reality.
Nebula CT: https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8517
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1740 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
"Is there an afterlife?" by David Fontana - psychical research, including investigations by magicians.

"Real Magic" by PEI Bonewits - a refreshing, down to earth look at ritual magic and parapsychology.

Barry
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
New Scientist Magazine. Scientific American Magazine.

They are interesting and informative reading for their own sake and they publish many articles on perception, brain function, cognitive 'abormalities' etc.

This can provide a wealth of starting points, frames of reference and themes for mentalism effects that get away from the usual raft of the mystical and paranormal, dare I say it,.......nonsense.

Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
The Game
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
180 Posts

Profile of The Game
Fight Club - Chuck Palahniuk
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
"Passages" by Gail Sheehy for adding depth to cold readings
"Mind Hacks" by Tom Stafford for all round weirdness
"Techniques of Persuasion" by J.A.C Brown for background patter of a psychological nature
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
I think that Stuart Palm means THE DEPTFORD TRILOGY of books from Robertson Davies.
Just clarifying, as Davies wrote many other books.

The books were: WORLD OF WONDERS; THE MANTICORE; and FIFTH BUSINESS. They all
tell the story of a young Canadian boy who grows up to become the world's
greatest Magician and Mentalist.

I was fortunate to know Robertson Davies. I was chosen as consultant to create
the illusions and train the actors for the sole live stage production of WORLD OF
WONDERS, performed at Canada's Stratford Festival for several months, a number of years ago.

By the way, Mindbender: Your post at the top strayed from the confines of the
format used here. That throws the page way off, and all of our subsequent posts
run off the page. Makes for difficult viewing. Mods: Can this be fixed up?

- entity
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Helpful Non-Mentalism Books (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL