The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Fickle Fire Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
I'm having a problem with the Fickle Fire as far as consistency. WHEN it works, it looks great, but it doesn't work on the first time. It takes quite a few strikes to get it to flame up. On stage you can't stand there and strike it half a dozen times before you get action.
I've tried holding my hand in different positions but that doesn't seem to work either...
Any advice?
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1726 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Always make sure there is a fresh flint, that'll help.
I always prelight mine at least once just before going out on stage. Seems to help. Also keep them warm before use so that there is more vapor to light.
I have heard of people putting a tiny bit of flash cotton inside the fickle fire by the striker to ensure a good light on the first try. I have not tried it myself though.
Gwyd
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
Flash cotton makes sense. Will it work if it's saturated with lighter fluid? Only one way to find out...though I could place it under the wheel.
I'll report back later.
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
Flash cotton makes sense. Will it work if it's saturated with lighter fluid? Only one way to find out...though I could place it under the wheel.
I'll report back later.
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
Sorry for the last double post. I did that from my crackberry and well...
Anyway, an update on the Fickle Flame: Is seems that the fabric needs to be raised a bit so that the spark catches it quickly. I tried the flash cotton, but it got saturated with the fluid. I couldn't get it close to the wheel without it getting full of fluid.
My wife is going to sew a small piece of kevlar on to the fabric to build it up a bit.
To be continued...
wol
View Profile
Loyal user
Norfolk, UK
238 Posts

Profile of wol
I found the same thing and also I found the action of lighting them to be quite unsubtle anyway. I chose to perform with a candle or flame already lit and light my palm from that, you don't get the magically appearing flame more of the who's the pyscho lighting his hand!!
Keep passing the open windows!
Addy
View Profile
Loyal user
NY
243 Posts

Profile of Addy
No go on the kevlar. It blocks the wheel and makes it hard to close...Back to the drawing board. I will get this thing to work. I can rebuild it...I have the technology...
It is a good idea to have an existing flame from which you light this piece. I've just been working long and hard on this cigarette routine that's gone through so many phases of change already, that I'm not oging to change it any more. I'm going to work with what I have.
The flash cotton does improve things, but not greatly.
Also, does this take a standard Zippo flint? I tried changing the flint and the new Zippo flint didn't work.
UGH!!!
AlexanderYan
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of AlexanderYan
I know Jeff McBride always has an alternative method of lighting the fickle fire in case it doesn't work. In his fire routines, he has an already burning candle on the table, so he can light it that way. Another option he uses is to have a lighter taped to the handle of a knife, so as he passes the knife over his hand, he lights the liter and then lights the fickle fire.

He describes all of this in his section of the mystery school book.

-AY
Ocha
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Ocha
I don't know if this is much help at all, but one day I was bored and I actualy sat down and read the instructions that came with a Zippo lighter. One interesting thing that Zippo recomended was an upward motion when striking your lighter (the resulting air flow pushes the fumes down twards the striker and it Does seem to help, at least with a Zippo lighter). I know this alone won't solve your problem, but if it helps any then it's worth a try.

Gerald
I was Me but now He is gone.......
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Up in smoke! » » Fickle Fire Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL