The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Thoughts on Mirabill (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Coupcoupdaddy, Sean and John, I appreciate all of your wonderful comments. I'd love to read stories of you all using Mirabill out in the trenches once you are at that point. I've been employing the many suggestions our peers have made and my presentations get more and more intense.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2008-02-24 14:21, evolve629 wrote:
I thoroughly enjoy the Mirabill!!! Excellent thinking, Dr. Bill.
I have a small problem though - I never get a tie in the 2nd round;
instead I always win!

Dr. Bill, can you solve my quandary? Thanks.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Xtasy0
View Profile
Veteran user
307 Posts

Profile of Xtasy0
Quote:
On 2008-02-28 10:10, evolve629 wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-02-24 14:21, evolve629 wrote:
I thoroughly enjoy the Mirabill!!! Excellent thinking, Dr. Bill.
I have a small problem though - I never get a tie in the 2nd round;
instead I always win!

Dr. Bill, can you solve my quandary? Thanks.

that happened to me once while I was practicing, then I figured out what I did wrong and it hasn't happened since. pm me if you are still having trouble.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
"I have a small problem though - I never get a tie in the 2nd round;
instead I always win!"

I honestly thought you were teasing when you first wrote that!

I think the quandry is why aren't you taking this logic defying run of luck to Vegas? Smile Seriously, if Xtsay hasn't already solved your problem please PM or email me.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
This is a great thread, I love the ideas and creativity.

Thank you all!
carmean
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of carmean
Thanks Bill, great effect!
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2167 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Please add my name to the list of those that really enjoy having this routine at our disposal! I agree with many of the great points made in the above posts and will not repeat them.

I have a few select card mentalism routines that I perform, and of these, most involve stacks and memorization.

This is certainly great to have at hand when someone tosses you THEIR deck...but is strong enough to use as a performance piece that you introduce yourself.

I like the additions of having the options for the spectators exchange cards, packets, etc., and I have been playing this up in a "DEAL or NO DEAL" kind of theme. It has been playing very nicely!

Thanks, Bill.

Bryn
*QUARANTINE SPECIAL!!!*
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls Mentalism ebooks - Now just $20 each!

Just PayPal to:
bryn@darkmountainarts.com
(No PayPal account? Just shoot me your email and I'll send you an invoice that can be paid with any card.)

REVIEWS:
" The Safwan Papers":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

Browse my Artwork!
https://www.darkmountainarts.com
Facebook & Instagram: #DarkMountainArts
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
You are welcome and thank you Bryn! It is interesting you mention using Mirabill in more formal performance. Several other mentalists have suggested that The Twist version included is particularly suited to such presentations and have offered some valuable enhancements.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I made a real glitch on another Mirabill thread that I'd like to correct. It should have read:

I appreciate all the wonderful feedback and I've been surprised by some of the people who have purchased copies. I'm even hearing some good things from card guys! Peter Duffie(!) wrote me:

"I grinned widely as I read your elegant solution. Far from adding any
complications, you have managed to simplify and actually improve an
established classic card trick. I am sure Stewart James would have loved
this as much as I do."

I wrote John, not Peter on the post in question and didn't catch it until it was too late. Sigh.

I've gathered several wonderful ideas and variations from a wide range of mentalists and magicians. Some from this very thread. John Bannon was kind enough to share something from his own wonderful variation of Miraskil that is at once so simple (a real "duh, why didn't I think of that" moment) yet takes The Twist handling in Mirabill to the next level. I will be collecting all these great ideas and sending them out as a supplement.
Nathan Pain
View Profile
Inner circle
iowa
2822 Posts

Profile of Nathan Pain
Yes!!!! I love supplements!

Nathan
DT3
View Profile
Inner circle
Hill Valley
1918 Posts

Profile of DT3
Quote:
On 2008-03-11 22:34, nathanpain wrote:
Yes!!!! I love supplements!

Nathan

And I am very happy that you do.

DT3
ricardo carpenter
View Profile
Regular user
107 Posts

Profile of ricardo carpenter
The idea of two spectators playing a game is very good.

Twist... in French it could be a variation of "Bataille"...

Jacques Terrien
MaXiMoN
View Profile
Regular user
Morocco
124 Posts

Profile of MaXiMoN
For those interested in my handling and my thoughts on mirabill -for mirabill owners and fans of course-

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=82&4

your welcomed to use it just let me know how it went Smile
Pomyles
View Profile
New user
Here
77 Posts

Profile of Pomyles
Thanks for your reviews. I'm waiting for it. Feedback soon.
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Maximon, I like your additions.

Mirabill is a great routine. I like it, and Bannon's version, a lot.

I know this trick fools people, but I can't for the life of me understand why. (And this goes for the original.) If you have an equal amount of two objects and match up some of them, obviously the ones not matched up will be the same. This seems so intuitive to me and I have a hard time understanding why it's not to everyone.

(I have the same issue with the piano card trick. It's another one where the method strikes me as almost a non-trick.)

But as I said, I DO know this fools people. I wish I could have had this performed on me 20 years ago before I knew the secret. Most tricks I can get myself to see from a spectator's perspective even if I know the method, but with miraskill(bill) I just can't wrap my head around what they think they're experiencing.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Finally, an easy explanation for how the principle underlying Miraskill works, lol! Now on to why it fools.

First, the logical disconnect of the first phase where things don't end up the same. Phase 2 alone would go over my head but Joe is likely correct that it would be transparent to many.

Second, embedding the processes within a meaningful framework. To quote KK, "Meaning is the best misdirection. " I think John Bannon and I, simultaneously, took this up another notch via the handling I call "The Twist." By the way I LOVE using John's method, especially with folks who know mine . It is so sneaky! Fun to pull off, a true "magician fooler."

And another by the way; I just found out that the sale prices for my ebooks are still up at Outlaw and won't be able to be changed until Monday. That and this thread explain a sudden spike in Mirabill sales!
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On 2013-09-07 17:17, Bill Cushman wrote:
Finally, an easy explanation for how the principle underlying Miraskill works, lol! Now on to why it fools.

First, the logical disconnect of the first phase where things don't end up the same. Phase 2 alone would go over my head but Joe is likely correct that it would be transparent to many.

You say the first phase is a logical disconnect, which I think is true, but my mind can't wrap around why the audience doesn't call shenanigans after the first phase. If we're at a high school dance with 26 boys and 26 girls and there are a certain number of boy/girl couples slow dancing -- regardless of how many couples are dancing -- then obviously the boys and girls not dancing will be equal. This, which is the backbone of the trick, is essentially common sense.

Again, I'm not saying this trick doesn't fool people. I'm saying just the opposite. There is an 80 year history that shows it does, and Bill's version is an improvement on the original. I just wish I knew why the method is so difficult for people to grasp, as I would like to put other methods in a similar neurological blindspot.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2851 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Perhaps it is a combination of the initial logical disconnect and "cloaking the hoax" in meaning that establishes the neurological blindspot? And could you be underestimating the power of giving a "persuasive meaning" even on its own? I mention the possibility, especially given that you didn't examine the second part of my explanation. Almost like it evoked a neurological blind spot in your seeking a logical explanation. This is not meant in anyway to be a criticism; I'm enjoying exploring the answer to your question.
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
749 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On 2013-09-07 19:57, Bill Cushman wrote:
Perhaps it is a combination of the initial logical disconnect and "cloaking the hoax" in meaning that establishes the neurological blindspot? And could you be underestimating the power of giving a "persuasive meaning" even on its own? I mention the possibility, especially given that you didn't examine the second part of my explanation. Almost like it evoked a neurological blind spot in your seeking a logical explanation. This is not meant in anyway to be a criticism; I'm enjoying exploring the answer to your question.

Well, the only reason I dismiss the "persuasive meaning" explanation is that I've done miraskill since I was maybe 11 or 12 when I got it out of Scarne's book and it fooled intelligent adults and I was no prodigy of magical performance, I was just a kid. And the "logical disconnect" you mention is really what I find most interesting. It shouldn't be a logical disconnect. It should just be a huge red flag that you're not on the up and up.

I guess maybe the explanation is that the fact that you're going through this whole process with them suggests that there must be a purpose to it, so it doesn't occur to them to think that the outcome would be the same every time. Even if that's theoretically an easy leap to make, they just don't think to ever go that direction. (maybe I'm saying what you were saying Bill, I'm not sure.)

Well, regardless, I just enjoy thinking about these types of things. I've had people suss out methods I thought were much more clever, but this trick usually flies by them. But that's just one of the things I love about this craft.

I still have no idea why the piano card trick fools people.
MaXiMoN
View Profile
Regular user
Morocco
124 Posts

Profile of MaXiMoN
Quote:
On 2013-09-07 13:16, Joe Roberts wrote:
Maximon, I like your additions.

Mirabill is a great routine. I like it, and Bannon's version, a lot.

I know this trick fools people, but I can't for the life of me understand why. (And this goes for the original.) If you have an equal amount of two objects and match up some of them, obviously the ones not matched up will be the same. This seems so intuitive to me and I have a hard time understanding why it's not to everyone.

(I have the same issue with the piano card trick. It's another one where the method strikes me as almost a non-trick.)

But as I said, I DO know this fools people. I wish I could have had this performed on me 20 years ago before I knew the secret. Most tricks I can get myself to see from a spectator's perspective even if I know the method, but with miraskill(bill) I just can't wrap my head around what they think they're experiencing.

Thank you Joe you are more than welcomed to use them if you like Smile

On the subject why it fools I believe what Mr Cushman said has perfect sense to me
Besides I'll add this as what I believe is going on, as well as the facts mentioned before
its a discrepancy that a laymen needs time and some trigger to start thinking about it ( and these two factors are not supplied Smile )

Best Regards
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Thoughts on Mirabill (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL