The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I read the news today, oh boy! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
I just got the new issue of Skeptical Inquirer and was very disappointed to read their praise of Criss Angel for calling young Jim-Callahan on the carpet as a fraud on the show Phenomenon. They seem to imply that Jim and Uri Geller were in cahoots and trying to pass off a fraud that the brave, seasoned Angel brought to its knees on national TV.

I saw Angel’s behavior more akin to some jerk standing next to the stage, while Ronald McDonald tries to entertain the kids, yelling out the secrets of the egg bag as Ronald pulls out his silks.

SI has been riding the Houdini coattails in several issue recently and I wonder if this is the beginning of some foul plot to launch Criss Angel as the ‘next Houdini’ protector of the stupid?

PS: I know what Angel had in the envelope: his pride (and there was plenty of room left over for his late alimony checks).
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Vincent.Lynch
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Vincent.Lynch
Quote:
On 2008-02-21 12:11, bitterman wrote:

I saw Angel’s behavior more akin to some jerk standing next to the stage, while Ronald McDonald tries to entertain the kids, yelling out the secrets of the egg bag as Ronald pulls out his silks.

That's how I feel.
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
Seconded. It was deeply unprofessional.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I gave my friend Joe (Nickle) a call. He'll return the call and I'll put our 2 cents in and advise a little research.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
So, you dropped a dime, Doug? Smile
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
A well known funeral palour
610 Posts

Profile of Energizer
Yeah, that is disappointing indeed. Skeptical Enquirer? More like Gullible Enquirer ...
"We judge a book by its cover and read what we want between selected lines" - W. Axl Rose, circa 1992.
xersekis
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of xersekis
Yes sadly that has been my point in numerous threads - "unmasking" entertainers and performers in the guise of protection ---

SI is a low brow mag anyway - and this continues to prove it...

instead people should investigate the claims of SI instead f letting si investigate claims of the paranormal

sad sad sad

dave
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2497 Posts

Profile of Chris K
It seemed like a personal agenda, esp. in light of the other performances, not only that night but in previous and latter nights.

The whole show had a "Look at me and watch my show where I do this stuff for real" feel anyway. Which is too bad, really. My only hope is that my personal opinion of this isn't widely shared and that many people enjoyed the show.

L
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Joe's advice is to (without the passage of time) write an informative letter to the Editor. Be factful rather than smartass and opinionated.

SI has a mission to defrock those that call bereaved relatives and scam them and the Uri Gellers of the world, not entertainers and magicians.

Did you know Joe Nickell was Mendell The Mentalist? haha.

He also was the Resident Magician at the Houdini Hall Of Fame, Niagra Falls Canada.
And a Pitchmen of Svengali decks. haha

JoeNickell.com (look under personas)

So Joe has a sympathy for us 'performers'.
Celloboy
View Profile
Special user
London, England
533 Posts

Profile of Celloboy
Does it make me a geek that I recognise the obscure Beatles quote? Day in the life. Best Beatles song ever...

Pete
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Hardly obscure. Was on Sgt Pepper ;p
But anyways back on topic. While not a huge fan of Jim or Uri, I'm even less of a fan of Criss "look at me" Angel. Some of the most immature, unproffessional behaviour. Yep, whay a hero.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
This magazine goes to how many people? I've never even heard of it.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Joe says (we are still on the phone) circ is about 40,000
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I was waiting for someone to ask if it was about a lucky man who made the grade...

peppers was over-rated anyway, abbey road was infinitely superior...

I thought angel just had a picture of himself inside the envelope so he could kiss himself at lesiure...
I've asked to be banned
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17665 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Is this article to counter the one in Genii?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
Not overrated, anyways its all about revolver and the White Album.
Is 40000 alot(compartively to other relatively niche magazine?) Who reads this magazine? You wonder why sceptics have to bother reading magazines like this ;p
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2424 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
Quote:
On 2008-02-21 14:00, Slim King wrote:
Is this article to counter the one in Genii?

Please elaborate Slim
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
This has made my day if the tone of the article is as Bitterman conveys it to be.
I have been smiling since I read his post.
Still am.

Will be going out soon to find the issue.
(Thanks for the heads up Lance.)

Skeptical Inquirer caught up in my world/work/presentation/art.
(Don't touch the Tar Baby)
And possibly being dumb enough to write things that are untrue about me.

Randi, Angel and now the Skeptical Inquirer all strolling lock step hand in hand through my Shadow Garden and into the Twilight.

They follow what they believe to be the light of reason and 'self promotion' but have not yet realized they walk on the path I made.

Perhaps they will encounter the Egress in the shadows.
Maybe even a scarier thing called a Lawyer.
(Another group that often have a hard time with the truth.)

If they were interested in facts they could have easily contacted Banacheck who was there to help and to keep an eye on me as well as the others.
Steve and I spoke at length a few times about what I do and his opinion of it.

They could have read my website or done something really scary and contacted me for information about what I do.

But they went and followed an idiot leader and it looks like they are now hoisting him up high upon their shoulders and making him king of their Fools Paradise.

Doug thanks for contacting your friend about this.
It is to bad they would not do what you did and pick up a phone type a letter and check a fact.

Disclaimer: This entire post is predicated upon the first post by Lance.
I have not yet read the article and am basically offering opinion of what a perceive to be the situation.
Please take that into consideration.

J ...

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18817 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2008-02-21 14:06, Nick Wait wrote:
Not overrated, anyways its all about revolver and the White Album.
Is 40000 alot(compartively to other relatively niche magazine?) Who reads this magazine? You wonder why sceptics have to bother reading magazines like this ;p

white album was over-rated too...rubber soul/revolver/abbey road, they're my choices anyway...

pffft...angel...he's so last century...there's nothing more sad than a 40 something goth...
I've asked to be banned
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Note: SI buys articles just like any mag and I don't think this is Editorial opinion. Joe wasn't really aware of it. Who was the writer??

Michael Shermer heads up Skeptical Inquirer. An extremely smart guy who takes on challenges and religions and just about anything that attempts to 'put one over' on the public. A skeptic approach is not necessarily a negative but one of questioning from a logical/scientific standpoint, the Stigmata for example.

To ask: "You wonder why sceptics have to bother reading magazines like this.."
is a somewhat silly question. The mag is where the results ar published and is extremely entertaining and bright. That they buy articles is the way the mag biz is.

In fact one of the BEST email Newsletters you can get on is the SI Shermer Newsletter. It's a kick and half. SI also allows for the 'other side' to state a case, the Skeptic being one who is UNSURE either way. A Skeptic is NOT a nay sayer.

The mag is PRO entertainer not Anti.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » I read the news today, oh boy! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL