The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » 3 No Evil -Doug Higley (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Though Doug Higley has self-deprecatingly referred to '3 No Evil' as 'just a packet trick', it is not that at all. It doesn't look like one, it doesn't play like one, and it doesn't get audience reactions like one.

What 3 No Evil is, is an easily transportable, versatile, highly affordable variation on his venerable and well-respected 'Dark Museum' set. And what that means is that no matter whether you're a magician or a mentalist, it's one of the best effects you can buy. Period.

It's easily transportable in that this effect only needs Higley's four custom postcards and an envelope to perform. This makes it perfect for buskers or restaurant performers. While Doug provides a regular envelope with the set, he is also selling a custom leather envelope that would really punch up the presentation by a notch or three. (Even though I'm just an amateur magician, I'm thinking strongly of adding it to my set. If I were a pro, I'd have it already.)

It's versatile in that it isn't as... well, 'intense' as his other stuff. Doug's work is so good that it can be absolutely stomach-churning, especially if you couple it with the right presentation. While this is great for bizzarists, it can come across as pretty strong in, say, a dining room setting. And you'd have to be a heck of a performer to pull off, say, his 'floating eyeball' gracefully at a kid's birthday party. But the postcards in 3 No Evil have just enough of the patented Higley 'Ewwww!' factor to impress a bunch of young boys, while being tasteful enough to bring out over dessert and coffee.

It's highly affordable in that it's only $20 (US, + $3 domestic postage). Even if you add in another $20 for the leather envelope, this is still the most affordable Higley, by far. If price is the only thing that's been keeping you from adding a Higley effect to your repertoire - and if it is, shame on you - then by all means order 3 No Evil today!

In a word, my review is 'Recommended'. In two words, it's 'Highly Recommended'.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
samdan
View Profile
Special user
519 Posts

Profile of samdan
Airship--difficulty level?
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Easy. Even a beginner could use Doug's handling.

But a pro's presentation would move it from an 'Ahhh!' to a 'WOW!' for the audience.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Thanks for the kind words Mark.

I'd might add that the Leather Envelope is not a 'must'. Just a cool accessory designed to do just that 'look cool'. Not giimmicked or necessary for the trick.

Hopefully I will have them (Leather Envelopes) by next week.

3 No Evil is available now at favorite dealer.
The Leather Envelope though will only be available on my site. (For the time being anyway.)

Thanks

Doug
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I got mine earlier in the week. It's a beautiful thing. And you're right, it's not just a packet trick. It's a trip back in time. It's Indiana Jones meets Allen Quartermaine meets King Kong. Doug has invented a new genre that he's dubbed Adventure Magic, a name which feels so right to me.

I've worked with my DM set (Ripper Set) for several months now, so it was easy to jump right into this. I've done it several times, including for my 2nd grade class, at a dinner party, and a few times for friends at work and in life. It plays big! You can play it for 2 minutes or 10, for 1 person or a bigger group (the biggest group I've done so far was 10). And you can carry it around in your jacket pocket! As far as difficulty goes, it's dead simple. You do need to get your timing down right (not difficult at all, you just need to work it through several times). Even if I didn't have experience with Doug's stuff, it won't take long to get it up to speed.

I thought about aging the cards and envelopes to make it seem like something I found, but have decided against it. Aging will happen on its own. In the mean time, I'm playing with some time "travel"ish type of presentations. I'm also planning on getting the leather envelope (delayed by the evil "the truck needs a transmission" fairy). The cards are beautifully printed and beautifully photographed, I can't bring myself to mess with that.

I would give this my highest recommendation. I'm always happy when I see someone I like and respect get great reviews. My only reservation is that Doug isn't charging enough (though my wallet appreciates it) and that so many other people will be doing this. Ah heck, the world's big enough for all of us. I DO give it my highest recommendation.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Dr Mage
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
332 Posts

Profile of Dr Mage
I got my 3No Evil a few days ago and have had several opportunities to try it out. The postcards all look great. I will be getting the leather envelope, but as Doug has stated, it is not necessary (cool, but not necessary). It is a wonderful take on Deddy Corbuzier's "Free Will" principle.

First run through was for a group of 10 year olds. The effect went over very well. One girl (friend of my daughter, who has seen me do LOTS of effects) even said it was the best magic she's seen me do.

Second run was for some 7 year olds. Some of them were a bit frightened by the shrunken head pics, and were, therefore, not able to really follow the routine.

Last night, I demonstrated it for a group of adult friends, and they were very impressed. After the routine, statements were made concerning "what are the heads going to make him do next?"

I recommend this effect for use with ages 10 and up. Great stuff!
What is the color of magic?
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2008-02-21 15:59, Doug Higley wrote:
Thanks for the kind words Mark.

I'd might add that the Leather Envelope is not a 'must'. Just a cool accessory designed to do just that 'look cool'. Not giimmicked or necessary for the trick.

Hopefully I will have them (Leather Envelopes) by next week.

3 No Evil is available now at http://3NoEvil.com (be sure and see the video!) or you can wait for your favorite dealer to get them from Murphy's.

The Leather Envelope though will only be available on my site. (For the time being anyway.)

Thanks

Doug

I have to admit I'm a little confused about this effect, even after reading the dedicated site. Can you describe the effect, or perhaps the genre of the effect?

Also, is the effect something that is card-specific, or could it be done with the original prop heads themselves? I ask because I'm probably more interested in using the physical props than merely photos of them.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Ah...the Leather Envelope. I am having 20 done at a time (as of now) and the 1st batch on the way is sold out. SO...if ordering the Leather Envelope, please be advised it will NOT come with the Trick when I send it but at a later time. I have a specific 3 No Evil blog and will keep everyone informed. So order one IF you are ok with this delay. I will honor eMail reservations as well to make it easy on y'all.

The trick was originally going to be the Card Set AND the Leather Envelope but I realized that would be a cost factor that might cut some folks out of the picture, so I split it up and those who want it can get it. Again, it's just for looks and panache. Smile The Custom Made LeatherEnvelope is the same high quality as those 'gimmicked types' you all love but it's not gimmicked. Smile

AS to the aging of the cards. This is covered in other threads and on the blog but in a nutshell, I was going to age them for you untill I saw how nice they turned out and thought it best to leave that up to the performer. (Very easy, only takes seconds to do). I like them MUCH better as they are (as do others who have the set.) IF you do get the Leather Envelope, I'm guessing the cards will look better AS IS. Your call.

Thanks all!
bosque
View Profile
Loyal user
279 Posts

Profile of bosque
"3 No" arrived the other day and has been field-tested successfully. Being a medical professional/magician at a facility for children between the ages of 6 and 17 years, I can say this is possibly even more effective (if that's possible) than Doug's 3 dimensional versions of the Dark Museum (I own and use several). The cards are obviously easier to cart around (although I haven't let this stop me in the past) than the other versions; but for some reason, the effect seems to play more cleanly using the postcards. Perhaps the kids are less distracted by the photographs- the actual props are so friggin' realistic and fascinating that they sometimes get really wound up trying to touch the specimens and see if they are "real" (well... they're real creepy...). With the cards, they seem to be more moved by the magic. I don't know; I'm just getting better responses from the kids for some reason- maybe my timing and presentation have improved since I perform this trick so often.
As far as age appropriateness, I have to say that the 10 year olds and up have been the target group for my efforts. Because the kids I work with have oftentimes been traumatized, or are sometimes developmentally delayed, my input may not be the most representative as far as the general kiddie population is concerned. I will field test this further targeting a younger group, let's say 8 years old and up and report my findings at a later date. Bear in mind that these children are somewhat special. This is probably the best thing I have purchased in a long time. Have I mentioned that Doug Higley is the finest person I can imagine doing business with? He creates works of art that he refuses to call art, and then undercharges for them. I hope he makes a fortune on this thing. If your waffling about getting this, just get it. I promise you'll get your money's worth and more. Can't wait for the wallet...
---Steve Bosque
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Louisville, KY
675 Posts

Profile of Bedford
This is my new favorite effect. The cards are beautiful, and I don't plan on aging them at all. The nice thing about this set is that you can take them everywhere since they don't take up much space, yet the routine plays big. Story effects (when done properly of course) get the best audience reactions, and the rainforest expedition concept is refreshing and not one of the usual well-worked themes (don't get me wrong - my Eye Of The Ripper set gets a lot of use, and Jack always makes for an absorbing tale). Most of my shows are themed events, so these kind of props and effects are my bread and butter.

I love my Ripper set, and so I had high expectations for 3 No Evil. I was not disappointed. Doug could sell these for a lot more and they would still be a bargain. Great work!
The Alchemy Moon Collective
Find us on Gemini Artifacts
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Thanks to all above for buying my trick! Double thanks for the field testing. I just tried it on my neighbors haha. My favorite neighbors are in the condo next to us and they don't speak English! (very little) So is this easy to perform? They 'got it' with just gestures. Of course this sweet Mexican lady crosses herself when I walk by now haha. (I hope she's not serious.)

Anyway thanks Steve for the kid test. I was really looking forward to those as I always thought the effect was a good one for those besides adults. Mentalism is a hard concept to get over to kids and I was looking to bridge that gap and broaden the horizon of the performers inventory. I had thought 8,9 or 10 group would be a good target audience. I have a few Doctors that use my props and effects and one of them also deals with 'special' children...I am always facinated by the tales of excited response and participation they elicit. I like this version the best myself...more than the dimensional props...I'm lazy and would rather not carry anything. Smile I love pockets!

Bedford: Thank You!

Thomas, I PMd you the Toll Free so we can share prop tales and Alaska stories.

Note: All who ordered up to this moment and were not in the 1st two mailings, will be in the third mailing tomorrow. You should have your sets by Saturady I guess. I stopped 2nd guessing the mail. I'm on pins and needles for the Leather Envelopes to arive.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1488 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
Please could you give a more specific description of the routine...
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
There is a Prediction. A spectator is chosen to be Guest Curator of the Dark Museum. The cards represent the Exhibits, Three Shrunken Heads. The cards See No Evil, Hear No Evil and Speak No Evil are chosen at random and dispersed per the spectator and the 65 year old Prediction is revealed as accurate. That's what happens. No sleights or gimmicks.

The adventure & romance of the thing is up to you to set the scene of an expedition in 1942 and can not be incorporated in a three sentence blurb. All that is on my site.
Let's put it this way for three years the effect has been not only accepted in 28 countries but has not had a single negative reported. This was the Prop versions. (still available) Now it is in a smaller version but packs the same aura. (and a hundred bucks cheaper haha)

Three years ago I got the permission of Deddy Corbusier to rework (after accepting his challenge) and re-do his 'Free Will' Prediciton Principle into a new trick.

What's Different: The Entire Routine, Storyline, Patter, Look, Feel, Method, Handling, Workings, Props, Overall Historical Adventure idea and Theme, An Actual Reason For the Magic to Happen, Entire Character of the trick and Motivation, Structure, Much simplification of the Prediction method (Nothing difficult to do, it just happens).

What's Similar?: Deddy's fine contribution to a Magicians Choice, a '2 Out' principle of the reading of the prediction is similar to a Himber Wallet (without the wallet) in that it allows for an automatic 2nd Out. So, they are both Prediction effects that end with an accurate Prediction in a simple no sleight method. I do not want to minimize Free Will, just note the attribute that relates to 3 No Evil. So, are they the same? No. Not even close.

Hope that answers your question. The main thing is it's fun to do and performers have a good time with it... The Magic is not in the trick, it's in your hands and imagination.
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Quote:
On 2008-02-21 20:36, RIVARDJLR wrote:
Please could you give a more specific description of the routine...

Yeah, that seems to be missing on the link provided, unless I am missing it too.

Oops..you beat me to it Doug...thanks..uh wait...that still doesn't describe the actual effect
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Just got this in from Deddy yesterday...happy to share...

"Hi Doug!
Congratulations on your new trick the 3 No Evil! I remember back in January (2005),
when you asked me to gave you permission to experiment and sell tricks based on my Free Will idea, that I thought you would come up with something cool! It has been fun watching all the weird and crazy things you have done with my freewill concept. Looking forward to recieveing the newest one! It's been 3 years?!! So 3 No Evil is perfect! haha. My son is 2 yrs old already!
Also I want to thank you for always recognizing me and the credit you give me in all the things you do. Glad we are friends and hope to meet you someday! You like Disneyland so much, so we should meet there someday when I bring my family for vacation. 3 years? Wow.

Yours
Deddy Corbuzier

By the way, Deddy has some new ideas coming up he told me about that are terrific as usual. He's a good man.
mindgames
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of mindgames
Wow... m name been mentioned again and again... woooowwwwwwww....
I READ MINDS.... YOURS TOO.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Ears ringing? You better hide...

NOTICE: It seems the Dealer sites did not get the correction I sent out a couple of weeks ago on the decision NOT to age the cards. Please see above. Trust me on this...you want them as they are before aging. Really nice. Then IF you want to age them just contact me or see the blog for easy instructions (takes a few seconds only). But they do look too nice for me to do it. Once I saw them I changed my tune and it's in the best interest of the buyer to make that decision.

Dealers have been notified and will be ntified again of the description change.

Thanks all.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I just got mine in the mail and have to say, "WOW!"

The post cards are great! And I love the routine. And it is available just in time to capitalize on the new Indiana Jones movie fervor.

Packs flat, plays BIG, and is a lot of fun. What else could one ask for?

My vote for effect of the year, and it is only February...

But what else would one expect from Doug Higley?

Tony Iacoviello
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Okay, just got back from a bowl-a-thon with a bunch of folks from work. I spent three hours alternating bowling and doing this (a great way to practice, by the way) up and down about 40 lanes. I hate this expression, but I don't know how else to say it, IT KILLED 'EM!
What would Wavy do?
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Your under arrest!

Thakns Mark!

Advisory: There will be a delay in the Leatehr Envelope by a couple of weeks. The wrong size were made. Wrong not by much, but still wrong. Oh joy. However...The CORRECT size is being made as I type this so it will be later than I expected but hopefully not too long. Watch the Blog! Daily Updates.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » 3 No Evil -Doug Higley (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL