The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Jim Callahan Starting to Gain Momentum (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
And though I'm not psychic, I'll answer a future question. "To get a laugh."
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
The Counterfeit Detection Act of 1992, Public Law 102-550, in Section 411 of Title 31 of the Code of Federal Regulations, permits color illustrations of U.S. currency provided:
The illustration is of a size less than three-fourths or more than one and one-half, in linear dimension, of each part of the item illustrated

The illustration is one-sided

All negatives, plates, positives, digitized storage medium, graphic files, magnetic medium, optical storage devices, and any other thing used in the making of the illustration that contain an image of the illustration or any part thereof are destroyed and/or deleted or erased after their final use

http://www.ustreas.gov/usss/money_illustrations.shtml
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2008-09-14 12:05, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
The Counterfeit Detection Act of 1992, Public Law 102-550, in Section 411 of Title 31 of the Code of Federal Regulations, permits color illustrations of U.S. currency provided:
The illustration is of a size less than three-fourths or more than one and one-half, in linear dimension, of each part of the item illustrated

The illustration is one-sided

And the sentence I referenced appears, to me, to allow for some leeway to those restrictions. What is your impression of the meaning of that sentence?
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I only posted the above for clarification to the post referenced. In my previous employment, I had the additional duty of monitoring and controlling the use of color copy equipment within my area of the DOD.

You can make copies of the currency as long as it conforms to the stipulations cited in the reference I provided. One sided, and size less than three-fourths or more than one and one-half, in linear dimension. There is no conflict, it is very clear.

Tony Iacoviello
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2008-09-14 12:26, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
I only posted the above for clarification to the post referenced. In my previous employment, I had the additional duty of monitoring and controlling the use of color copy equipment within my area of the DOD.

You can make copies of the currency as long as it conforms to the stipulations cited in the reference I provided. One sided, and size less than three-fourths or more than one and one-half, in linear dimension. There is no conflict, it is very clear.

Tony Iacoviello
Not being an attorney with experience in reading of U.S. code I can't say for sure. The provision I cited would seem to offer leeway for creating facsimilie currency for things like photography shoots, plays or movies or even magic performances. What is your interpretation of that sentence?

Also, I can't tell from the video if Randi's bill is one or two sided. Can you?
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Yes
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2008-09-14 12:45, Jim-Callahan wrote:
Yes
Good
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On 2008-09-14 12:38, Randwill wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-09-14 12:26, Tony Iacoviello wrote:
I only posted the above for clarification to the post referenced. In my previous employment, I had the additional duty of monitoring and controlling the use of color copy equipment within my area of the DOD.

You can make copies of the currency as long as it conforms to the stipulations cited in the reference I provided. One sided, and size less than three-fourths or more than one and one-half, in linear dimension. There is no conflict, it is very clear.

Tony Iacoviello
Not being an attorney with experience in reading of U.S. code I can't say for sure. The provision I cited would seem to offer leeway for creating facsimilie currency for things like photography shoots, plays or movies or even magic performances. What is your interpretation of that sentence?

Also, I can't tell from the video if Randi's bill is one or two sided. Can you?


I'm not an attorney either, but I was briefed by the Secret Service, and was required by law, working for the US government, to follow the law and see that it was followed as part of my job. I controlled all color copier access and operations from it's adoption in in the DOD (circa 1984) until I left that position in 1994 at each location I was stationed. It is very clear to me.

I cannot tell from the video if Randi's bill is one-sided or two sided, but it does pass the casual examination/viewing of the audience, and the person who marks on it. It comes as a surprise to all of them (or it appears to) when it is stated that the bill is not real.

Tony Iacoviello
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Since Tony and I were having this discussion in The Attic, as well as here, we have agreed to continue any further posts about this particular issue here;

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......m=251&24
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
I've done a little more research on the topic of counterfeit currency and U.S. law and I believe I have found a pertinent entry that affects this discussion. Title 18, Section 471 reads: "Whoever, with intent to defraud, falsely makes, forges, counterfeits, or alters any obligation or other security of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both." The key words here are, "with intent to defraud."

My previous reference to section 474 deals only with plates, stones, or analog, digital, or electronic images, so it has no bearing on actual paper bills.

The section of the Counterfeit Detection Act of 1992 that Tony references appears to address the use of images of U.S. currency in publications. That is, how an image of a $20 bill can legally be printed in a magazine.

I can find no law that James Randi broke when he used a photocopy of a bill to make his point about the falibilty of the counterfeit money detection pens. A specialist hired by a bank to teach their tellers how to detect counterfeit bills might possess and display facsimile bills as part of his job. Without the intent to defraud this appears to be no violation of the law.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20289 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Oh lord now Jim has gotten to look like a whiney child who has not gotten the attention he wants.

Has your big BOMB really just been a counterfitting charge? ARE YOU KIDDING?

That is more disapointing than your performance on Phenemenon man. Has it really gotten to this? Are you serious? Oh man.

This is as bad as when you threatened to call the California Gaming Comission on Criss Angel for offering his million bucks you couldn't manage to win. (No your demonstration of rope through body did not qualify as "psychic" LOL and could not be inturpreted in any way to mean 9/11)

Jim you prove the side of your opponant with every post LOL. Thanks for the laugh.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Chris H
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1364 Posts

Profile of Chris H
Quote:
On 2008-09-13 15:50, Jim-Callahan wrote:
The new Randi exposure video is up.


It has been suggested over at the JREF forum that by posting this video on YouTube, instead of taking it to the relevant authorities, you have infact made yourself an accessory to this "crime". I don't know enough about US law, but it's an interesting point regardless.

Chris
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Ouch! Jim and Randi in the same cell.
Magic is a vanishing art.
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
Ive looked deep into Mr Callahans site and you know what I think he receives a bunch of flack he shouldn't you can learn a lot by reading jimclass.com
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20289 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Or we can judge him by his behavior here and other places. That seems easier to me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Jim who?
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
I really am not familiar with his behavior all I know is he wants Randi to challenge him and hes upset that its not happeneing, He doesn't like criss angel, and hes controversial becuase he is believed to say he does real stuff. Now that's all I know

When reading his site its interesting because he never really came out and said "I am real I have powers" Its more of a perceptual reality thing what you see is reality to you but not to others

I found it interesting how he worded it and never claimed he had powers
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
DJM
View Profile
Inner circle
Israel
1681 Posts

Profile of DJM
Quote:
On 2008-09-25 00:00, chrusa wrote:
I really am not familiar with his behavior all I know is he wants Randi to challenge him and hes upset that its not happeneing


No, he doesn't want anything to do with Randi's challenge, even though people keep asking him to apply to it.

You can read it here, third post.

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=124599&page=2
chrusa
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
736 Posts

Profile of chrusa
Ahhh ok I was thinking he wanted to but under certain conditions and Randi wouldnt agree to them

I was confused
Thanks,
<BR>
<BR>Chris Hrusa
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20289 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2008-09-25 01:05, chrusa wrote:
Ahhh ok I was thinking he wanted to but under certain conditions and Randi wouldnt agree to them

I was confused


Yes you are confused. He wants attention. He is despirate to attatch his name to something. He is now trying to put forth his next performance. He is an attention hound and acts like a spoiled child to get it. What is not to understand?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Jim Callahan Starting to Gain Momentum (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL