The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A real psychological master... (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
So then, we've discussed what a real psychic may be able to do...

what would an uber-psychological mind-master be able to do?

let's avoid all derren remarks if we can...

a jacked up jungian type? telling you what your dreams are or will be even? be able to predict all your physical and emotional responses?

or maybe a sexually expressive feardom fighter with an obsession for numbers following him around? *joke*

go!
I've asked to be banned
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Isn't that where the last conversation was going anyways?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Not if you don't want it to...

or are you saying there's no real difference between a real psychic and a real psychological master?
I've asked to be banned
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
I think he'd be able to tell you what you're feeling and why, and would be able to predict beliefs and behaviours. If you can predict, you can exploit and control Smile
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Oh there is a difference. I think a real psychological master is Dr Phil. Smile Somebody that knows it all. You know what I mean.

I think what Derren does is exactly how it should look. I know you want to avoid that side of it, but in my opinion if someone could do it for real it would look almost exactly how Derren presents it.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
I would encourage people to do what tomo has done, and step beyond what derren has displayed, unless you think derren is the pinicle obviously...

but I think that's a very interesting thing already - "able to tell you what you're feeling and why"...you don't get derren telling you that do you...

I think looking at both sides of the mentalist fence is a good and positive thing...gives you fascinating insights to both...and hey, maybe it'll help each to understand the other more?
I've asked to be banned
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
How you are feeling and why? isn't that what a regular psychologist does? I was joking about Dr Phil, but in reality he does tell a lot of peole what they are feeling and why. That is common place is it not?
Mindtrap
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Mindtrap
Be able to penetrate to the deepest levels of motivation and intent from observable means (however subtle, ie not from psi-waves); extrapolate, anticipate, affect, orchestrate or otherwise subtly manipulate events and behaviour several whole steps ahead(malignly or benignly) with startling depth of insight. Have savant-like powers of their own intelligence and yogic-like control of their own body; be able to demonstrate and teach them too. A bit like...
Svengali of Trilby
Carradine in The Silent Flute/Circle of Iron
Sherlock Holmes
Hannibal Lector
Me

but not the last one Smile
Garrad
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Garrad
Quote:
On 2008-02-22 13:34, Mindtrap wrote:

Svengali of Trilby
Carradine in The Silent Flute/Circle of Iron
Sherlock Holmes
Hannibal Lector
Me

but not the last one Smile

I'd add Robbie Coltrain's Cracker for those in the UK
You might say reality is the result of complex negotiations between the observer and the observed. But that is simply a point of view.

Many Thanks
Garrad
ELima
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
167 Posts

Profile of ELima
I agree with prediction, but influencing peoples choices and behaviour is even more powerful. That's what marketing is all about, but only moderate successful.

Endre
MindSeeker
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of MindSeeker
I think that they would be able to know as much about a person or situation from the smallest amount of information. Like the guys on that criminal minds tv show.
vai
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of vai
It's quite scary when you think about the abilities someone like that would have.

- I would imagine them to be able to very quickly persuade you to agree with their opinion (or any opinion for that matter) in most given situations

- To tell when you are lying in any given situation

- To accurately judge your true opinion of them and others around you

- To reliably predict your behaviour, topics of conversation, perhaps even what you are planning to do later that day or even week.

This is really quite worrying when you get down to it, no wonder people look at us strangely when we claim these abilities !

All the best

David
Check out my releases at http://stores.lulu.com/mentalism
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Energizer
IMHO a real psychological master should/would be able to do all the above, but would also be able:

(i) to quickly and easily read the hidden subtext hidden in what people do and say, and pick up on those subltle linguistic distinctions that shape 'reality'. In other words, be able to detect the language games that are being deployed by people (perhaps for stratetic purposes) and hold on to alternative (and perhaps better or truer) viewpoints and perspectives rather than being drawn into those games .... to avoid being hypnotized by language.

(ii) to quickly and easily see through the lies fed to us by the government, the media and by large corporations, and hence quickly and easily deconstruct those lies, exposing and ridiculing them for what they are ... again, breaking free from the language games.

(iii) and following point (ii), to protect the weak, disadvantaged, the excluded, the poor, vulnerable and the disenfranchised.

(iv) yes, yogic-control of the body - fire walking, glass walking, fire and glass walking, wood-breaking, metal -bending (through summoning strength, not through PK powers), endure great pain, control the heart-rate and even slow it.

(v) to be happy and peaceful, despite what is going on around them.

(vi) solve the occasional problem.

Olly
vai
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of vai
Quote:
On 2008-02-23 14:35, Energizer wrote:

(ii) quickly and easily see through the lies fed to us by the government, the media and by large corporations, and hence quickly and easily deconstruct those lies, exposing and ridiculing them for what they are ... again, breaking free from the language games.

To me, ridiculing the "lies" would not be part of a psychological master's skills. He would simply have the ability to inform others of the fact in a way which would cast no doubt to the truthfulness of that facts the master is presenting.

Just my thoughts
Check out my releases at http://stores.lulu.com/mentalism
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Energizer
On second thoughts, I thing a real psychological master would be able to provide a grand unified theory of psychology. Such a person would provide a discourse that unites the domains/paradigms/methods/problems etc of biopsychology, cognitive psychology, psychodynamics, social psychology, discursive psychology etc with each other.

Hopefully one day I will be that man!

Olly
Energizer
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of Energizer
Vai - Yeah, perhaps the word 'ridiculing' is a bit strong!
SM41
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of SM41
I think he will work for the government..

If he was an entertainer, he will go to many scientific laboratories.

He cant play in Vegas, he cant bet at any place. He will be covered by the government and he he will be almost an slave for CIA.
Mindtrap
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Mindtrap
I don't see why he or she couldn't play at Vegas though, if there was purpose (They would not be greedy enough to get caught or stupid enough not to see the consequences of chains of events or simply would not play against the house, a Doyle Brunson, a Daniel Negreanu, perhaps), or even necessarily be flagged-up or a slave, or exclusively either ridicule ‘lies’ or not etc, etc. She could see through that and could be a 'scam artist' extraordinaire.
-They wouldn’t just see the single outcome of events, but would effectively be playing long-range strategic chess (not just single or multiple move), and therefore may use all sorts of ploys of bluffs/double-bluffs/triple bluffs and so on, for example.

They would therefore also have the inventiveness of a Leonardo DaVinci, along with the awareness and control of whole patterns of events of a Jason Bourne character too.
'Nasty' Psy Master/Mistress could also merely utilize the weak, disadvantaged, the excluded, ... in such a chess game and STILL have it looked upon favorably... as long as THAT ITSELF was deemed useful to him.
xersekis
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of xersekis
The true psychological master would smile at all the musing and then get some sleep.
TamTheMentalist
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of TamTheMentalist
A psychological master would be able to implant false memories of supposed 'loved' ones and long lost friends and then reveal the information, appearing psychic.

Or... Has that already been done?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » A real psychological master... (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL