The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Best "Self-working" effects without setups (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
Piemontese Alps ( Northwestern Italy )
245 Posts

Profile of galerius
Gemini Twins is definitely a good one, and I like it as many others.
My preference 'til now goes anyway to two tricks in Scarne's volume, "Upside-Down Deck" and "Traveling Aces".
Also "The Haunted Name" in Fulves' first self working book is a very good one in my opinion.
I've ordered Roberto Light, the first volume by Roberto Giobbi's on automatic effects, and I look forward to getting it! I read there are real gems in those books.
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of galerius
Er..."Upside-Down Deck" requires a small setup so maybe it doesn't fall within the category, pardon.
Illusion & Beyond
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Illusion & Beyond
Some great tricks I found are in Glenn Gravvert 50 Modern Card tricks. Easy Reverse, Sixth card etc.. Lots of impromptu (self working) card magic. The cover reads $3.00. For that you can't even get a Mc D. value meal.
Oyama
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR.
1054 Posts

Profile of Oyama
Brrr! by Thomas Baxter. No set-up and you never have to touch the cards.
"it's better to live one day as a lion, than a thousand years as a lamb."
jolly12
View Profile
New user
PEI, Canada
48 Posts

Profile of jolly12
Have to agree with "Gemini twins"
redeagle
View Profile
Regular user
South Florida
147 Posts

Profile of redeagle
I've been looking around the forum and youtube. I don't know Geoff Williams and can't find any description or demo. Does anybody have a link to a video of the effect for "Devastation"? Thanks.
Picard
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Picard
Quote:
On 2009-02-08 10:38, redeagle wrote:
I've been looking around the forum and youtube. I don't know Geoff Williams and can't find any description or demo. Does anybody have a link to a video of the effect for "Devastation"? Thanks.

Here it is performed by somebody on MVD: http://www.magicvideodepot.com/main/memb......astation
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of galerius
Thanks for this link, Picard, I was curious me too.

Er, about Gemini Twins...what if someone asks you "why it's you and not him/her choosing the prediction cards" or "May I shuffle the cards another time ( after you chose the cards )" ? That happened to me two days ago. I confess I didn't expect these questions, it was a bit embarassing. Probably I didn't perform it at it's best, who knows, or the spectator was particularly hairsplitting, lol...I'll have to think of a stratagem to prevent such a questions, anyway, or a good explanation if they do.
Picard
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Picard
Quote:
On 2009-02-09 07:01, galerius wrote:
Er, about Gemini Twins...what if someone asks you "why it's you and not him/her choosing the prediction cards" or "May I shuffle the cards another time ( after you chose the cards )" ? That happened to me two days ago. I confess I didn't expect these questions, it was a bit embarassing. Probably I didn't perform it at it's best, who knows, or the spectator was particularly hairsplitting, lol...I'll have to think of a stratagem to prevent such a questions, anyway, or a good explanation if they do.

Hm, that doesn't sound too bothersome.
This would be my first reaction (if I thought a bit more I probably would come up with something better):
"why it's you and not him/her choosing the prediction cards"
ANSWER: Well, are you sure you'll be able to select the right ones? Believe me, predicting things is not as easy as you might think, often I even fail myself.
Let me give it a try first, and later we'll test you precognitive abilities, too. (yeah right Smile)

"May I shuffle the cards another time ( after you chose the cards )"
ANSWER: Of course you can, but I have to warn you: that will destroy the natural order of the cards created by your first shuffle (use whatever term you like, "natural order", "harmony", "energy", blah, blah). Please give it a gooood shuffle, I want you to be completely happy that the order of the cards is absolutely random. Of course, every new shuffle puts a new energy in the cards, so I might want to change my predictions so that they match the new energy of the deck.

Also, when s/he shuffles for the first time make sure to ask if s/he is completely happy that the cards are well shuffled. When s/he replies positively s/he is less likely to ask you to shuffle again later.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
It takes away from the self-working aspect but how about a simple false shuffle and/or cut after you remove two 'random' cards?
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of galerius
Wise advices, Picard. these are good reasons to give, I will remember them ; thanks ! Smile
That half-disappointing performance wasn't bad if reminded me that everything has to be foreseen. Every cloud has a silver lining.
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of galerius
Quote:
On 2009-02-09 09:46, Jaz wrote:
It takes away from the self-working aspect but how about a simple false shuffle and/or cut after you remove two 'random' cards?

That's definitely a good advice too, Jaz ; but the problem was that she wanted shuffle herself the cards one more time Smile
Picard
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Picard
Quote:
On 2009-02-09 10:19, galerius wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-02-09 09:46, Jaz wrote:

That's definitely a good advice too, Jaz ; but the problem was that she wanted shuffle herself the cards one more time Smile

Happens to everyone. With experience it gets much easier to handle. Another important thing is CONFIDENCE. Spectators are very good at sensing performer's insecurity and guilt (usually accompanied by stiff gestures and movements) and therefore suspecting you are up to something. Try to be as relaxed (and funny if you are that kind of guy - if not it doesn't matter) as possible.
I NEVER refuse to give out the deck for shuffling if asked. Sometimes I can get out of it (as mentioned above), if not I'll just do something else, impromptu.
But in NO WAY am I going to give them reason to suspect something.
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of galerius
I subscribe to every word, Picard. But well, not exactly I was talking in a trembling voice or blushing or acting nervously ; just missed a good answer, a good explanation like the one you suggested. But that was enough to make her distrustful, alas ( well, I have to add that the person I'm talking about is distrustful by nature ).
And to think that most of times I can be a good fabricator...I pay for my sins, it's the talion law Smile
Yeah, better to be ready for another impromptu, if needed ; I learned the lesson Smile
captainsmiffy
View Profile
Special user
UK, resident UAE
589 Posts

Profile of captainsmiffy
Am just releasing a very cunning and powerful effect about gambling where you bet the spectator on the outcome of his shuffle; now it does require a setup BUT that same set-up is unaffected by a myriad of card tricks available to perform prior to the performance and the spectator shuffles the cards almost as soon as he handles them. Thus I am - rather lamely - mentioning this under the no setup self workers cos its almost a no set-up effect by default!?! There is a thread running in the workers. The effect is called 'Up the Ante' and will be out shortly via the merchant of magic. See Dominic Reyes post in the workers.
Have you tried 'Up The Ante' yet?? The ultimate gambling demo....a self-working wonder! See the reviews here on the cafe.
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
Quote:
On 2008-09-27 09:32, Andy Moss wrote:
Gemini Twins is a lovely effect as has already been said. The following version is one by Peter Duffle and is called '4-Some'. It is fairly similar to the original but is for me stronger.Since the e-book download was offered free to all through the generousity of Mr Duffle I feel that I can share this with you

It's in the "4 Most" eBook available for free here:

http://www.lybrary.com/free_ebooks.php

(Sorry to dig up an old thread.)
My English sucks, I know it. It's probably better than your French anyway...
galerius
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of galerius
I modestly second the above recommendation...moreover, that short e-book has a packet trick, Ghost Buster, that in my opinion is a gem.
All of them require setups, though.
bik0z
View Profile
Regular user
France
108 Posts

Profile of bik0z
"Chaos" by Pit Hartling, if can do a faro shuffle or if you dare to arrange the cards right in front of the spectators. Of course, you can still do the trick if you arrange the deck before the trick, but you asked a trick with no set-up.
My English sucks, I know it. It's probably better than your French anyway...
chronica
View Profile
Loyal user
France 94 Vitry s/s
246 Posts

Profile of chronica
Quote:
On 2008-05-11 02:03, Janus109 wrote:
4/5/6 Packet Trick by Sal Piacente is pretty stong and self working.

Another vote for this killer one!
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
Quote:
On 2008-04-15 00:12, Leland Stone wrote:
Just recently learned it from the Ammar "Easy To Master Business Card Miracles" DVD:
Will The Cards Match? Although taught with business cards, it goes nicely with playing cards; I'm uncertain of its lineage.

5 cards are selected and shuffled, then ripped in half. The two packets are placed on a table, and the pieces -- from either or both piles -- are shifted from the top to the bottom according to the letter count in each word. A face-up and face-down piece are then paired on the table, and the process is repeated until all the pieces are dealt. In the end, the face down pieces are flipped, showing that all cards indeed match.

Fully automatic, and it kills. You have no idea how much time I've invested in what might pass as mediocre sleights, only to find that this self-worker is what really wows the crowds. Eh, that...and a little personality I suppose.

So true....I just got this dvd a couple of days ago and thiseffect is a killer...I still can't get my head around why it works , but it does !!!!!
It leaves me time to work on the presentation and not worry about the effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Best "Self-working" effects without setups (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL