The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Pretty Cool Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2008-02-24 07:38, Jack Murray wrote:
No Thomas, this is not my work. I only made my comment because I'm finding the Café' a very sad place to visit because it's mostly not "Magicians Helping Magicians".
I'm done! Back to making a living.

As far as I can tell, there are four main ways to respond to any thread on the Café:

1) Ask a question, such as requesting help with an act or a project, information, or opinions of others on some subject;

2) Offer an answer to such a question (as listed in #1);

3) State an opinion about a given subject, such as a trick, product, a particular act or a posted video (usually YouTube);

4) Advertise, pitch, or support a product, for yourself or on behalf of another.

Of the four numbered types of posts above, I have done ALL of them - in various threads - on a somewhat regular basis. I have asked questions, answered questions, given opinions (both negative and positive), and supported some products with which I am involved.

In this particular thread I've given my opinion of a posted video and I don't think I have said anything that is terribly out of line. To my great surprise there are a number of posts either agreeing with my opinion or at least supporting my right to state my opinion. Two of those supportive posts are from members that I have clashed with in the past - another surprise that speaks rather highly of the integrity of those individuals (you know who you are). This alone proves (to me, anyway) my belief that individuals can disagree and discuss issues without stomping off in a "huff" (which is what Jack now appears to be doing).

While this is a privately owned forum - and therefore not subject to laws governing "free speech" - there is a concept that still applies, if only on a moral level. That concept is that freedom of expression is not meant to only protect those opinions with which we agree but, more importantly, those with which we do not.

And finally, for “BYUDAD” and “asianmagic”, I do not build very many large illusions, as I have neither the interest nor the time to do so – though I have built some in the past. Among others, I’ve built two “Wakeling Sawings”, one “Modern Art”, two “Japanese Shadow Theatres”, one “Hospitality”, several “Lester Lake Choppers” and a number of “Zig-Zags”. I have made unpublished improvements with just about all of these, including a more deceptive table for M.A., a mechanism allowing the ‘vanished’ assistant to fully close and lock the trap in J.S.T., a smoother elevator system for “Hospitality”, and an internal mechanism that automatically moves the false front on the Z.Z. in correct proportion to the movement of the center box (eliminating the need for the performer to manually do so).

My focus in magic manufacturing, however, is on much smaller props and gizmos. I build custom wands, a chopped coffee mug, and Ramsay cylinders. I refined and manufacture the gaff used in Scott Alexander’s “Final Answer” (of which I have made many hundreds). I refined and manufacture the Fitch/Kohler Holdout System (which also number well over one hundred currently in the field). I manufacture the “Vegas Coins” for Murphy’s Magic (again, many hundreds in use).

I consulted for the first season of the Criss Angel series on A&E, and built several secret gizmos and mechanisms that were used in that production - which remain unknown to the magic community at large. Most recently I have also consulted for another well-known magician on an upcoming major network special.

So, “BYUDAD” and “asianmagic”, just because you are unaware of what I do (in the magic field) doesn’t mean my work is unknown or insignificant. But most importantly, no matter who a Café member is or what that Café member does for a living, we all have the right to form an opinion and we all have the right to express that opinion. Sorry you don't like that fact. Smile

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Thomas,

I know that you do great work from the pieces I have seen. I also stated that I am sure that if you made any magic tricks they would be top notch as well. I simply said that I have never seen any of your magic tricks. Thank you for pointing out what you do. I am pretty sure that all of these are very detailed and works of art. You go ahead and voice your opinion, that is your right and you have a lot to offer.
BYUDAD
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I just didn't care for the Leddabox. It's like gilding a rose in copper, then silver and then gold - no longer looks like a rose, but rather a metal blob on a stick. It's way too hard to describe the effect.
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
Geez sensitive guys. Anyhow its funny how we can go back and forth on things like this. The lay audience are the ones to answer most of these questions! Lets get back to Magicians helping Magicians!
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have watched it several times, and I wonder if it is better when seen live. The coloring, design, and quality of the video all contribute to some confusion.

My 13-year-old daughter heard the Rhapsody music and came out to see what was going on. At the end of the video she said "Daddy, she's not even in the box; she's in the base!" So much for the wonder...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Usually when a magician is busted, it's by a kid so nothing unusual there. I think the coloring of the illussion is horrible and yes it does lend itself to confusion. I really don't see how one could find a tight correlation with that illusion and the kub zag. The kub zag still staggers people. I own one and still find the illusion wonderful to see performed when it is done properly. Unfortunately knock offs are becoming abundant and they really do the illusion a great disservice as there is very little magical about the poorly designed and oversized knock offs I have seen.
mvmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Has written
1322 Posts

Profile of mvmagic
I like the concept behind this particular illusion but IMHO the execution sucks. There's just too much going on and there's no real climax there. It feels like an infomercial..."But wait, there is still more!" Fine, the box gets dissected every which way but all the way to the point where he slides the panels away, it just resembles Jack Murray's KK. KK does the job much better and is more deceptive.
Sent from my Typewriter
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
All,

This illusion does have some good and bad points but you can't fault the guy for trying to create something new. I personally think that audiences would be entertained and in awe by this box. At least it isn't a knock off, right?

BYUDAD
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
WOW!?!?!?! are we playing like children here. This has become a "he" said "she" said game instead of what the original thread is about. Can we all get along. Shake on it.

I would like to see this performed live I bet it could be a fun piece. I think one thing that will solidly sell this piece is if her hand is sticking out holding a handkerchief. That is what makes the other mentioned above work.
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Mirror Images,

I am with you brother. I am a fan of the Konundrum Kube so this is too similar for my taste but I love the fact that it is original and mindboggling. I know that this illusion would wow the crowd because each and every time I perform the KK it blows them away. Even though they know that she is still in there they come up afterwards and want to know where. I think that going on what magicians think about this trick is wrong. My take is that if you like it, go for it. The crowd will love it. Even if it is 7 in one. I think that that is an added plus. It was said earlier in this post that the stage illusion show is not as common as it once was. I find that I am performing more and more in banquet rooms so I like those illusions that can be done surrounded, take up little space and give the crowd a wow factor. If I didn't already own a KK I would seriously consider buying this illusion. Afterall it isn't what you do, it is how you do it that creates success. As for the hand, I have always thought that this gives away the mystery surrounding the Cube Zag. To the lay person that I ask to critique the cube zag they are always right about where they think she is. However, you are a professional and I respect your thoughts so I may be wrong about the whole hand thing.

BYUDAD
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
I like that illusion.

How about this for a presentation for that illusion? A damsel in distress being chased by an evil and powerful villain. The hero puts her in the box to hide her. The villain, who suspects she is hiding in the box, first pushes that thing, whatever it's called, into the box, and then he attempts to take the box apart to find her.

(That's an old idea, but that box is particularly well-suited for that presentation).

Finally, the villain fails to find her, gives up, and leaves.

Then the girl is rescued from the box by the hero.

The music swells, the stage lights dim as the spotlight focuses on the two of them..., ...

Then the hero returns and kills them both! Smile (I need to work on my endings!)
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Why does the hero kill them if he just rescued the girl?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Vernon used to say "Confusion isn't magic." I think that one simple, straightforward effect is stronger than this. This looked really cool to the magician in me, but I think it's just too confusing to be a strong effect for laypeople.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Asmosc wrote:
Quote:
Why does the hero kill them if he just rescued the girl?

That was supposed to be, "Then the villain returns and kills them both!", and it was a joke, of course.

I really do need to work on my endings!
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
michaelstellman
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles
76 Posts

Profile of michaelstellman
I wanted to chime in on the earlier posts of "PUZZLE TRICKS."

I purchased a KUB ZAG several years ago (from chalet ) and like it a lot. But yes, I agree it does have it's drawbacks if not presented properly. For my needs, It's great as a portable illusion that plays huge, yet I don't need a truck to transport, and I can defiantly upsell it to a client.

But. . .I noticed in the beginning of performing it, the audience feedback was confusing. .people were not sure if it was a disappearance, vanish, penetration, etc. . . so IMO (this goes for other "puzzle" tricks including the one in the vid) it needs to either be presented as a puzzle up front (Peter Gossamer does this, and it plays very well) or a routine needs to be constructed that kicks it up a notch -otherwise, it can come across as a "hide and seek" type of effect and even bore spectators.

Of course the true test is . . does it entertain the audience. . if it does. . then roll with it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Pretty Cool Illusion (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL