The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The problems with Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Isn't this about Phenomenon? Smile
Everyone puts Keys up there!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
SM41
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of SM41
If you want to continue please open a new post
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2008-02-24 01:23, Micheal Leath wrote:
The point is that Jim has repeatedly used Banachek's name as proof that what he did was real. He has said that nobody could explain it. Banachek says he didn't see anything that he could not explain, so that clearly makes Jim wrong.

You don't see the problem with your own arguement here? I am laughing here. I saw Randi "show" how Gellar bent a spoon. Randi was nothing short of horrible and Gellar was great. It doesn't mean Gellar really bent a spoon with nothing but his mind, but it also doesn't mean the way that Randi TRIED to do it was right either.
SM41
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of SM41
There is a big step between knowing how to do it and doing it
HollyMental
View Profile
Elite user
OR
423 Posts

Profile of HollyMental
Quote:
On 2008-02-24 09:47, MichielTummers wrote:
ow on ur shelf:
1. a printer
2. a box with stuff in it
3. a chessboard

Quote:
On 2008-02-24 09:57, abraxus wrote:
1. a small glass orb kinda thing
2. spongeballs
3. something that means a lot to you - some kind of gift...

Quote:
On 2008-02-24 11:19, yachanin wrote:
Hi Holly,

I see a small mirror, a letter opener, and a bottle of eye drops.

Regards, Steve

Quote:
On 2008-02-24 14:30, Drakmor Kain wrote:
Holly:

A gimmicked deck of cards

A small notepad

Bottle of Aspirin

Sorry guys, they’re all good guesses but this game has to stop because it’s off topic. Well, it’s on topic for Jim Callahan to venture a guess but it’s off topic when everyone else does it. Smile

Holly
The devil can advocate for himself.
TamTheMentalist
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of TamTheMentalist
Ah, that reminds me of another thing the show disappointed me on, I was hoping to get to see great contestants like Banachek, Luke Jermay, or Bob Cassidy, but after watching the show, I understand why they weren't on. Not to say the other performers weren't good, I'm just saying, they wouldn't be in a competition for the top to me, with maybe the exception of Gerry. See, told you it wasn't that memorable...) I just think they were brought out of their element...
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
The best part for me was meeting Banachek and seeing Jim Callahan for a second time. In the auditions Banachek had some great ideas! I don't think that the Producers quite understood. I think that the people in charge didn't listen to the experts. (I also find this true in everyday life Smile)
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
TamTheMentalist
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Lucky!
Anyways, that somehow triggered another point in my head for some reason or another, maybe even 2. I think the show was poorly advertised/marketed. I think the majority of the people watching it were just magicians/mentalists. Most of the people I asked "Did you see Phenomenon last night?" said no. And out of the ones that said yes, very few were entertained, perhaps because there were few that even actually saw or heard of it, or they might be to used to the performances I do, but I doubt that. Then again it might be the fact that I'm still in high school that barely anyone watched it... Though, I think that's the demographic they were going for since, after all, they did have Angel on there...
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Plan and simple Criss Angel, screwed over Jim and did not give him a chance. Everyone is forgetting that Criss said his reason for this was his father. GIVE ME A BREAK!!! The reason for this is because Criss has an ego problem and those who do not bow down to the mind freaking he does with his less than perfect almost dumb stunts on his show is ridicules.
Sorry but Jim did not get a fair shake at that show, end of story. And after that happened to Jim the whole show and the other performers all seemed to take a different approach to what they were doing. Well I can’t truly say all but it seems as if that spooked a few. I will say firsthand I liked what Jim did on the show, I liked his showmanship and hey he was trying to win so he pulled out all his best and put it out there. If any of us is willing to flame him for what happened or his performance then I feel you need to go on live TV and try to pull off something that was even said before you started as being an effect with controversy. I feel Chiss the show and anyone who had anything to do with what happened to Jim should be ashamed to have treated a performer in that manner.
No one said it would be easy, or did they?

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/thecenterstage

http://www.collinscomedymagic.com
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I am sure on episode "2 million" of Mind Freak we will see Criss rant and rave about all the good he has done.
TamTheMentalist
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

I think we just need to move on from this Jim vs. Criss thing, if I remember correctly, there has already been a whole topic devoted to this as is. The 2 sides to this will not give in, and it won't be resolved, so why keep going at it?
Yes, this was a problem in Phenomenon, but it wasn't the only one. There are already so many other things wrong with Phenomenon, why don't we just focus on that instead of going at each other's throats?
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Cuz that's not fun and entertaining. Jim Vs Criss was the only entertaining thing on that show. Again not the fault of the other mentalists and magicians. They were not given a fair shot.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
They knew the girl they were going to be dancing with when they showed up.

They preformed poorly at best. ALL of them.

This seems "fairly clear", as the ratings spoke of this.

With the exception of Gerrry, no "names" showed up.

The show was clearly poorly concieved and horribly brought to the TV. The contestants suffered from many things not in their control. This also seemed clear.

Criss was indeed not the best choice for this part. But would another better suited personality been able to overcome all the other things? Doubtfull. The deck was SO stacked against the show from go that even a proper personality in place would not have saved it for a second.

It is easy to blame Criss for being at the forefront. He had a hand in it to be certain. But so did everyone who participated. Criss more so to be sure.

Like I said though, try to think of it without him, and someone else in it. Would it have been good? I don't mean better as that is not too tough LOL. But would it have been Good if removing and replacing Criss was the only change?

The only thing that would change would be less to whine about.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Quote:
On 2008-02-24 17:35, TamTheMentalist wrote:
I think we just need to move on from this Jim vs. Criss thing, if I remember correctly, there has already been a whole topic devoted to this as is. The 2 sides to this will not give in, and it won't be resolved, so why keep going at it?
Yes, this was a problem in Phenomenon, but it wasn't the only one. There are already so many other things wrong with Phenomenon, why don't we just focus on that instead of going at each other's throats?

But can we truly move on from this? If it happened to Jim it could have happened to anyone or any of the performers there. I hope that we never cow down to bullies and so therefore we will never move from this as long as it is being brought back up over and over again. In time maybe but its still a very strong subject.

Check out my all new book "Chicken Scratches" visit my lulu store for more information.

TamTheMentalist
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

I believe we can move on from this, because in this instance, isn't Criss just a heckler? And we've all dealt with hecklers before, this time it was just on national t.v., yes, it does change things up a bit, but the basic concept is still the same. You're going to have to deal with hecklers, skeptics, and spectators even if you're a magician doing card tricks, much less a mentalist who's treading in a gray area...
Floyd Collins
View Profile
Inner circle
Ohio
1633 Posts

Profile of Floyd Collins
Quote:
On 2008-02-24 17:49, Dannydoyle wrote:
They knew the girl they were going to be dancing with when they showed up.

They preformed poorly at best. ALL of them.

This seems "fairly clear", as the ratings spoke of this.

With the exception of Gerrry, no "names" showed up.

The show was clearly poorly concieved and horribly brought to the TV. The contestants suffered from many things not in their control. This also seemed clear.

Criss was indeed not the best choice for this part. But would another better suited personality been able to overcome all the other things? Doubtfull. The deck was SO stacked against the show from go that even a proper personality in place would not have saved it for a second.

It is easy to blame Criss for being at the forefront. He had a hand in it to be certain. But so did everyone who participated. Criss more so to be sure.

Like I said though, try to think of it without him, and someone else in it. Would it have been good? I don't mean better as that is not too tough LOL. But would it have been Good if removing and replacing Criss was the only change?

The only thing that would change would be less to whine about.

humm I don't know did Criss host the other shows that did real well in other parts of the world. NO!!!!!!! OH I see.

chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I agree with Danny though. It didn't matter who was sitting in that chair the show still wouldnt have been able to succeed. It just would have been nice to at least have someone that respects the other performers.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Lots of shows do well in other parts of the world and fail here without any help from Criss.

What exactly do you think you discovered anyhow?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
The show had an identity crisis, having been in touch with the casting people, this became evident to me in the early selection process where what they were looking for changed at least 3 times. The casting of the hosts is also evident of this issue.

The show did eventually find its identity, I'll call it "Game of Death" an identity decided upon by the producers as evident by their selection of material, this name is also representative of the ratings the show received.

Because the "powers that be" did not really understand what they wanted, nor did they really understand what and who they had, the show was doomed.

The only thing done right was to bring back Ross for the last show.

My opinion anyway

Tony
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Oh one other thing. Only one smash and stab (or anything like it) per show. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » The problems with Phenomenon » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL