The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Invisible compromise reading list (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ignoramus
View Profile
New user
UK
27 Posts

Profile of ignoramus
Dear all,

In my last post, I asked you to offer a reading list for a beginning mentalist. Thank you very much for your responses. Your guidance was most helpful.

Since then, I have been devouring a wide range of books on the subject. Most recently (last night), I finished reading Pure Effect. I know this was not suggested – but hey, you can’t blame me.

I have to say that I agree totally with Derren on the subject of invisible compromise. The first time I saw his effect, Reminiscence, I must admit that I was so blown away I did not even begin to think of a solution.

After discovering the working yesterday, I found it hard to sleep. This is absolute perfection. The reason it is so impressive is the complete invisibility of the method. It is by far the most intelligent effect I have come across.

Corinda’s 13 Steps (similarly, Annemann’s PMM) was a fascinating read but the majority of the effects involve a very visible compromise. My favorite effect is the Three Little Questions. Three questions are written down secretly by the spectator and then answered by the performer. Although impressive, the spectator will often comment, “I know you must have looked at what I wrote, I just don’t know how!”. This is not the response I am looking for. I want them to think, “I can’t see how he could have done that!”.

My question is this: Could you please suggest books that deal primarily with ‘invisible compromise effects’? This might be pre-show work or electronic transmitters. However, I most interested in linguistic methods such as double speak. I have not yet listened to the Wonder Words tapes. These will probably be my first stop.

My ambition is to create an effect which approaches Derren’s level of disguise.

Again, thank you for your time.
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
I think it is often missed that Invisible compromise can often be met with clever presentation and the correct blocking and staging. The effects in 13 Steps and so fourth can easily be brought up to the level of invisible compromise with some thought.

The real secret to creating effects that reach the level you are aiming for is in the presentation, blocking and application of methods in a natural manner.

L>
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17669 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Wow!!! How did you get a copy of Pure Effect and read it so quickly?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
And the more impressive, he read the first edition ! Smile
One book by day.
Friday : 13 step
Saturday :Myth and magic
Sunday: Anneman
Monday: Brown first edition
Tomorrow He has a show to Broadway Smile
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
Jon_Thompson
View Profile
Inner circle
Darkest Cheshire
2404 Posts

Profile of Jon_Thompson
How come it had "Reminiscence" in it?
tentoki
View Profile
New user
Berlin
45 Posts

Profile of tentoki
The first edition had it.
David Crown Paranormal Entertainment
www.David-Crown.de
SM41
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of SM41
There was one on eBay, I think he bought it
kriskraze
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of kriskraze
Amazing how many people know the workings of Reminiscence really, although the OP never said that it discovered how in Pure Effect.

Luke, what do you mean by "blocking"?

Do you mean anything that blocks the comprmise e.g.:
- Preshow
- Depriving audiance/participant of vision/hearing
- Camera cuts

Or simply blocking thoughts that the audience has as to the true compromise - for example stating that you've placed the pen on the table when carrying out a swami effect.
xersekis
View Profile
Special user
591 Posts

Profile of xersekis
I think he is refering to theatrical blocking
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Yeah - blocking off views by physical and verbal misdirection...
I've asked to be banned
obijuan
View Profile
Loyal user
New Lenox
242 Posts

Profile of obijuan
Making it psychologically invisible by removing it from the audiences mind. Read reminiscence in the first copy of 13 steps (joke) and you will see lots of psychological illusions and blocking.
kriskraze
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of kriskraze
Abaraxus/Obijuan, we agree, but that's not theatrical blocking.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18816 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Any kind of physical blocking off methodology is surely just that? well, it is in the jon riggs lecture on PW'ing...
I've asked to be banned
kriskraze
View Profile
Special user
620 Posts

Profile of kriskraze
Now your leaving 'verbal' out of the description Smile

Obijuan's was completely incorrect.

Still, this is all a bit moot if Luke was referring to something else.
Jim Reynolds
View Profile
Elite user
Special Guest
431 Posts

Profile of Jim Reynolds
Blocking is a theatre term - the planned movement of the spectators/performer.

Quote:
Although impressive, the spectator will often comment, “I know you must have looked at what I wrote, I just don’t know how!”. This is not the response I am looking for. I want them to think, “I can’t see how he could have done that!”.

You just defined the basic difference between magician and mentalist. But searching for the perfect effect(s) is still magician think. As Luke pointed out, it's all in the presentation. Not the method, or even the effect itself.

In other words, you could get the response you are looking for doing the Invisible Deck. You just have to work on presenting it in a non-traditional way that aligns with your persona.

Not easy.
Ramsay
View Profile
Special user
England
638 Posts

Profile of Ramsay
Indeed I was talking more about the theatrical notion of blocking. Using movement and placement to properly hide moments within a routine.

L.
obijuan
View Profile
Loyal user
New Lenox
242 Posts

Profile of obijuan
Or hiding the dirty work in plain sight and you could always think like Derren.
ignoramus
View Profile
New user
UK
27 Posts

Profile of ignoramus
Thank you all for your input!

I feel privileged that professionals such as Luke take the time to help out beginners such as myself.

Your comments are intriguing. Presentation is something I definitely need to work on. I still feel that my performances (for lack of a better word) are largely seen as “magic tricks”. I need to investigate blocking etc. to prevent this from happening.

Are there any good books on the subject of this type of presentation?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the concept of invisible compromise. To me it seems that the use of billets or a deck of cards would be a visible compromise. As I mention earlier, writing a thought down on a piece of paper will lead the spectators to believe that the information was read by the performer prior to the “mindreading”. Once a deck of cards is shown (e.g. for the Invisible Deck routine) the spectator will suspect a gaffed deck.

Would you agree that the use of billets, decks, prediction envelopes and the like are inherently visible compromises?
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
If the use of a prop is "inherently" a visible compromise, then the cards with "category headings" in the Reminiscence effect would be be a visible compromise.

But I think the Reminiscence effect is in the spirit of invisible compromise, surely.
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
Alan Wheeler
View Profile
Inner circle
Posting since 2002 with
2038 Posts

Profile of Alan Wheeler
If the use of a prop is "inherently" a visible compromise, then the cards with "category headings" in the Reminiscence effect would be be a visible compromise.

But I think the Reminiscence effect is in the spirit of invisible compromise, surely.
The views and comments expressed on this post may be mere speculation and are not necessarily the opinions, values, or beliefs of Alan Wheeler.
A BLENDED PATH
Christian Reflections on Tarot
Word Crimes
Technology and Faith........Bad Religion
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Invisible compromise reading list (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL