The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Thirteen by J B Magic (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Fitty
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Fitty
Effect A pack of cards with the words prediction written across the box are opened and the spectator picks a card (The cards can be shown both sides and there is no forcing).The chosen card is placed face down on the table .At this stage no one knows what the card is.
The magician then goes into his pocket and pulls out another deck of cards with the word Thirteen written across the box.The cards are taken out of the box and counted face up until you come to the thirteenth card (This can be done by the spectator)The thirteenth card matches the card the spectator chose from the first deck.This can be done again straight away and it will be a different each time.I did it for 4 people at the same table and each time it was a different card.

Price I think it was approx £18 from J B Magic.

There are no difficult moves in fact its self working The cards are bicycle cards and there is no rough and smooth.I know they say you should only do the trick once but with this the more you do it (within reason)the more impressive it becomes.

Overall I was very impressed
Barrys
View Profile
New user
California
35 Posts

Profile of Barrys
Any link?
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
Oooh sounds nice!
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Sounds Sweet any link to this effect ?
Thanks,
Tops
cardbiker
View Profile
Inner circle
1484 Posts

Profile of cardbiker
I think it's so new it's not even on their site yet.Released for the Blackpool convention weekend.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
It's on their site now. Anyone using this?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Top Hat
View Profile
Inner circle
We peed on you!
1077 Posts

Profile of Top Hat
Fair play to the inventor, Nicholas Paul, for a bit of lateral thinking on this one. It's quite a clever and new idea. However, this trick is drop dead SEE-THROUGH straight away. Why, oh why, oh why is ANYBODY prepared to pay £18 for a trick whose method is so obvious from one single viewing of Mark Mason's demo? It is not a trick that will mystify very much, but even if you think it would, why not simply make up the (obvious) gimmick for yourself for a tiny fraction of the price?

As well as that, I don't think that Mark Mason demonstrates his tricks very well. The amount of tedious over-proving, and blatent tell-tale give-aways in his body language and "patter" are excruciating to watch! Having said that, Mark is a likeable and charming man, with a business to run (which he is clearly successful in) and so my real issue would not be with him, but with with magicians who like this effect: you have got to be kidding if you can't see how this trick is done. Yes, I know there ARE people out there that it would amaze, but I don't think they would be in the majority. Just my opinion - I understand that not everyone will agree with it.
TH Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Daniel Lander
View Profile
Loyal user
Gloucestershire, England
292 Posts

Profile of Daniel Lander
I'm not ashamed to admit that a lot of demos still fool me...however this one?...But then again, to be fair, I'm not a layman.

It seems that a bit more thought into the "hows" of the production and the look of the "second" Thirteen deck might help.

And the price of £18 - that's getting close to $40 for our American friends - makes this an unappealing purchase.
darkdean
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of darkdean
I don't mean any disrespect to anyone here but its not about the magician its about the spectators and I think this would blow them away.

I will not be using this myself as it means carrying a gaff deck round but I am sure a lott of pepole will use this.

Dean
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I agree. I think it's see through for a magician. But I think a spectator would be very impressed.

I wish the decks were two different colors but with this particular method, I'm not sure you could do that.

And the reason you shouldn't make up the gimmick yourself and do it for a fraction of the price is because it's not your trick! You should purchase the rights. For those who think they would use this trick with great success, the price would be worth it for them.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Christopher Congreave
View Profile
Veteran user
U.K
377 Posts

Profile of Christopher Congreave
I know a TOP U.K worker who showed me this today and he has USED it at a gig for real people and he said it absolutely fried them and got a brilliant reaction.

Maybe it won't fool all the boys at the magic club but is that all some guys learn magic for? Try it out on a layman and see the reactions you get.
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
I think THIRTEEN is a GREAT idea.

I would simply start the trick by bringing out 2 packs of cards from my 2 opposite jacket pockets; one labeled "PREDICTION" & the other “THIRTEEN”

“We have 2 packs of cards. In a moment, I’ll show you why I labeled this pack “THIRTEEN”.

“But first let’s start with this one labeled "PREDICTION”.

“Please cut the cards. Would you agree that’s a fair cut? Would you like to cut the cards again?”

“Give me ANY number from 1 to 52” . . . etc. etc.

I think this trick is a REAL worker. With the right performance it will KILL.

My 2 cents . . .
Greg Rostami
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Agreed, I am another who thinks it is a worker...not only that...but it is 13!!! Which fits my magic name as Magicman13

http://www.magicman13.co.uk Smile
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Daniel Lander
View Profile
Loyal user
Gloucestershire, England
292 Posts

Profile of Daniel Lander
Quote:
On 2008-04-03 06:13, Greg Rostami wrote:
I would simply start the trick by bringing out 2 packs of cards from my 2 opposite jacket pockets; one labeled "PREDICTION" & the other “THIRTEEN”

“We have 2 packs of cards. In a moment, I’ll show you why I labeled this pack “THIRTEEN”.

This is precisely the sort of extra thinking I was alluding to which can transform the effect from the transparent JB demo to a real worker. (I still think it should be in the £11.99 - £12.99 price-range though).
KingOfDiamonds
View Profile
Elite user
Paris
428 Posts

Profile of KingOfDiamonds
You can also get a duplicate of the "prediction" deck in your pocket.

You do the trick until you have to go into your pocket.

"Now, I will take another deck in my left (or whatever) pocket which is my lucky (13)deck."

You go into your pocket and you take your duplicate deck. So when your hand comes out from your pocket, you have the 13 deck and the duplicate deck.

I agree it would be stronger with a red and a blue deck but I guess this would not be the same method. ;-)
NEW E-BOOK! Sneak: 12 card tricks based on the same principle.

https://www.lybrary.com/rapha%c3%83%c2%abl-czaja-m-534.html?affid=3322
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4464 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Quote:
On 2008-04-03 13:04, Daniel Lander wrote:
Quote:

This is precisely the sort of extra thinking I was alluding to which can transform the effect from the transparent JB demo to a real worker. (I still think it should be in the £11.99 - £12.99 price-range though).

Or...£13 Smile
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
Daniel Lander
View Profile
Loyal user
Gloucestershire, England
292 Posts

Profile of Daniel Lander
Quote:
On 2008-04-03 14:01, Christopher Williams wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-04-03 13:04, Daniel Lander wrote:
Quote:

Or...£13 Smile

Well...£13.08, but not a penny more.

(I work in a shop - everything has to end in 99p - it's a sickness).
dot
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of dot
[quote]On 2008-04-03 14:28, Daniel Lander wrote:
Quote:
(I work in a shop - everything has to end in 99p - it's a sickness).

What if something in your shop costs less than 99p Smile
JSBLOOM
View Profile
Inner circle
2024 Posts

Profile of JSBLOOM
Greg,
Great idea, but how do you justify putting it back into your pocket instead of leaving it in plain sight?
Again, it is nice to see a DEMO where the magician is not being mislead with any camera tricks/editing. We know how it is done, but the spectators will not and that is what counts.
algebraic
View Profile
Inner circle
1008 Posts

Profile of algebraic
The magic warehouse now has this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Thirteen by J B Magic (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL