The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professor Nightmare Count (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
Oregon City Oregon, Oregon
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Greetings.

I am curious to know if there are other options for the beginning count, showing three ropes as three ropes.

What I am not asking is if there is a better count, as the standard is pretty darn good. But just wondering what else might be out there...

Thanks!

RevJohn
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I start by passing the ropes out to be inspected for gimmicks. I then place them one by one on my left arm for the whole audience to see. Then I tell them that I am going to try to make them appear to be all the same length by placing them in my left hand one at a time, there is nothing up my sleve, and at no time during this trick will any of my fingers leave my hands. That is my beginning.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear.

After your three ropes become an equal length, and you are going to show them as three separate but equal lengths... are there other ways to do it besides the standard count?

Thanks!

JOhn
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
The false count is the only thing I have ever seen done. Even with Professor Ian's night mare he does an immitation false count to sell the trick.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Weeeelllll, except for the comment that ther's nothing up my sleeve!!
-------------
I do have a way, to avoid the count altogether. It was a step in the new DVD that I ommitted, but will be in the later versions.

The logic is, that normally magicians stretch the ropes with the palm towards them, or as Pete Biro commented, "holding the hands in a prayer position". If you show the three ropes at the fingertips as three separate pieces, stertch the three ropes and immediately show the three ropes by turning your hand around, there would not be a need to show them separately, as they could plainly see that they are the same length, separate, but just not separated to the other hand.
It's kind of like showing your hand empty after a silk vanish, if you flash the hand empty, you've answered the question.
I will shoot you a quick video clip to show you the method I forgot to include. Available after 12:50 Monday
http://stagetricks.com/separateequal.MOV
see if that works for you..
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
All my video software says it is unplayable.

Quicktime, etc.

Thanks!

John
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Still uplaoading.. another 4 minutes...
pkay time here is 12:53 it shouylod be done... if the format doesn;t work, I will do it in wmv.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Gotcha... just a little to quick on the draw. Will check later.

Really appreciate the help. And looking forward to the DVD!!

John
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Okay, I made it a smaller file and a .flv, if the link doesn't open with a click, then right click and "save target as".
http://stagetricks.com/separateequal.flv
ready at 1:03 or so.
Again, this moves states that the ropes are separate without doing it.
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Got the video! Appreciate the time. Thanks a bunch.

John
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Okay Rev, was it good for you?
-----------
Maybe Al might like it too!
RevJohn
View Profile
Inner circle
2472 Posts

Profile of RevJohn
Yep... it worked great, and I can see what you mean.

John
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2657 Posts

Profile of John Long
It is possible to tie the ropes together in a way that makes it look like 3 equal length ropes

John
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Yes John Long I know that move, and after you display the three similar pieces you can change it back to three different sizes by sliding the knot.

I do a move that I got from the George Sands DVD where you put the middle size piece around your neck, with the two remaining pieces you tie the small piece in the middle, and with one snap you turn it into one very long piece right before their eyes, which I'm surprised Richard Sanders never used. It is a very rarely used move that only me, and George Sands do, and George is no longer with us.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Alan Sands is located in Kissimmee, Florida and is doing his Father's rope routine for years. He also has all of his Father's manuscripts and books.
-------
Of course, RevJohn, did you see the post about Dances with Ropes wher you can actually have three equal lengths. (I don't assume everyone reading these rope posts are up to speed on that.) http://youtube.com/watch?v=kQ8JJvmZ1TI
Or an older method from my lecture: http://youtube.com/watch?v=slGS-qUo8Jg
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Here is an except from my DVD Dances with Ropes, showing the routine for showing all three ropes.
http://magicians.podbean.com/first-dance-with-rope/
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
There's one great way to do it without the count, but it has the drawback of needing to start with one long piece of rope which you cut into three equal[?] lengths of rope -- Ted Lesley's rope routine in his L&L series. The cut itself is quite nice as it seems logical that three equal lengths would be produced from it. Obviously the false count reinforces the supposed equal lengths, but the cut itself is pretty good. If it were possible to combine Ted's cutting with Sanders's handling of the false count, I think you'd be really quite far ahead.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
If you start with the supposed three equal lengths of rope by cutting one long one almost makes it a given that you must end it that way.
So, you have one rope then three equal, then you have three unequal, then?? Logically, you must do the full circle and go back to one long piece.

-----------
When you start out with three unequal, your mandate to restore everything back is also the unwritten premise that you leave with what you started with and the whole thing was an illusion.

----------
My routine can jump in at any desired point you want and with the elements you need to incorporate virtually anyones routine, Sanders, Sands or even hen fetch's quadropelets.
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
Quote:
On 2008-03-02 12:55, magicians wrote:
If you start with the supposed three equal lengths of rope by cutting one long one almost makes it a given that you must end it that way.
So, you have one rope then three equal, then you have three unequal, then?? Logically, you must do the full circle and go back to one long piece.

I don't necessarily agree with this. If symmetry is what you're going for, then sure, that's a nice way to finish, but when someone does a colour change with cards we don't always expect them to change the card back. It depends upon the effect that the magician wants to pull off.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2008-03-02 17:48, erlandish wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-03-02 12:55, magicians wrote:

I don't necessarily agree with this. If symmetry is what you're going for, then sure, that's a nice way to finish, but when someone does a colour change with cards we don't always expect them to change the card back. It depends upon the effect that the magician wants to pull off.

I can concede that that is true, except for the precedent of the original effect that does indeed return to square one. In fact, I have a popular version based on not going any further. More oft than not, I have seen the return to square one.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Professor Nightmare Count (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL