The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Simply Sydney (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

doug brewer
View Profile
V.I.P.
1134 Posts

Profile of doug brewer
My friend Syd Segal has just put out a new DVD that has some great material in it. For those of you who don't know Syd, he is close friends with JC Wagner and recently put a book out with JC (Full Metal Jacket) of card routines, some of which are in this video.

I will now play the part of an unbiased reviewer:

1) A Logical Lesson - a routine JC and Syd worked out together based on a routine of JC's that Syd streamlined and provided a logical ending. A tight and puzzling routine that I've seen Syd perform many times live.

2) Triumphant Turn-down - a very cool handling of Triumph that allows you to get into position so quickly you almost fool yourself.

3) Double D's and Aces - the method on this is brilliant and fooled me the first couple times I watched it. About as straight forward a "spelling" trick as you can achieve. And from a shuffled deck.

4) Collector's Edition - Syd takes Dingle's super clean collector's effect a step further ending with the instantaneous vanish of the kings around the collected cards. One of my favorite effects on the DVD. Syd's streamlined methodology makes this a no-stress handling that could actually be added to any collector routine.

5) Indications - I've seen Syd perform this live and I have to say the performance on this DVD didn't do it justice, and I'm afraid people will blow by this without giving it much notice. Because Syd is working without an audience during the performances, he doesn't really have anyone to play off of, which is what you need for this trick. Basically, a very, very convincing, streamlined handling of Red Hot Mama. One of my favorites.

6) No Lap Reynolds - I had not seen Syd perform this live before, so it was new to me (as well as the effect created by Steve Reynolds, which is what this is based on). I won't give away what the effect is, but Syd, in his inimitable fashion, has adapted one of his unique gambits to this trick so that it can be performed standing. This is a bit of a magician-fooler, but I think it would definitely play for laypeople. I immediately started working on this after I saw it.

7) G.A.F.T. - I've seen Syd perform this many times and it's always a killer. Syd takes a standard gaffed card and gets huge mileage of it. His "split" effect in the beginning of the routine looks like real magic. One of my favorites and again, one I started to work on immediately.

So there you have it. My unbiased review. Syd has been around awhile, and as a confidant of JC Wagner's, you can probably guess he has a good reputation among card magicians (he actually has some killer coin effects, but we'll leave discussion of those out for now). The DVD is a one-camera shot, probably my only real criticism. The sound is good, and the explanations are shot over the shoulder and in very good detail. You won't have a problem learning the effects.
in flames
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto
1028 Posts

Profile of in flames
I loved Syd's last DVD. This DVD is definitely next on my list.

Thanks for the review.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Nice.....Gaft Card Magic and Full Metal Jacket were excellent products. I'm looking forward to this new work. I just watched the trailer and am VERY impressed!!!!!
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Simply Sydney (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL