The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Light Projector for hand shadows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
Plano, TX
135 Posts

Profile of incompletefaro
I learnt to do a few hand shadows when I initially started learning magic. But I have not concentrated on it for a long time. The light source I had used at that time was a flimsy home-made light projector with a lens, bulb and aluminium casing. It did not have a stand and used to get hot pretty quickly. I had picked it up from a magician friend of mine. A review, in Feb 08 MUM, of Raymond Crowe's A Wonderful World of Hand Shadows sparked my interest in hand shadows again. Later I came across videos of Raymond Crowe, Hans Davis and others on youtube. These acts use what appears to be a professionally made light projector. Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a light projector like that to use for a hand shadow act, please? Or do I need to buy some projector and modify it? Suggestions / Advice are welcome?

I don't know whether I have posted this in the right area. I couldn't find any category for hand shadows per se.

Sanjay
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Staples or Home Depot have Overhead Projectors that are good for this purpose. They can be useful to the resourceful magician in many other ways as well, such as adding colors to your shadows and doing chalk talk type drawings (using transparencies and special erasable pens also sold in the same stores).

Also see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k43xQ7VfmTQ for inspiration.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Use a quartz light source for movie (8mm old timers) lights. Or use a slide projector.

Set the distance of the light from the screeen using a piece of string. An old photographer's trick that allows you to set the light the same distance every time.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
state
View Profile
Loyal user
202 Posts

Profile of state
http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?t=pa......&site=us

This might be worth a try. It's cheap and battery operated / Portable.
It's a kids Viewmaster Projector.
incompletefaro
View Profile
Regular user
Plano, TX
135 Posts

Profile of incompletefaro
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Sanjay
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Light Projector for hand shadows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL