The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Any ideas on pirate related magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Howdy,

I'm in final negotiations to be the in-house magician for family night and birthday parties for an arcade/party business.

The area I will be performing is a room about 50 feet x 50 feet square with a 12 foot by 12 foot platform stage to work on.

The name of the place is Lil' Pirates and caters to family events and birthday parties. I have worked up an opening to my act which uses a torn and restored paper using a pirates treasure map I made which featuring the name of the business on it, that leads to a chest I open containing a Book of Treasures (usually for libraries) from which I pour out a cup full of gold coins. From there I will do some rope magic (seems fitting) and on to other effects.

I ran out of ideas there, and cannot seem to find any other pirate related items with which to finish out my show.

Any ideas on a good closing prop to tie it all together?
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I posted some where about pirate magic. When I did a pirate charactor back before pirates were cool (I always miss the boat), and I think this is true with any charactor, I try to incorporate the material into the clothing etc.. For example a pirate has a chest so I worked out of a lil' wood chest I got at a place that sales items to make gift baskets. Coin magic done with pirate gold looking coins. Bandanas replaced silks and were on me for some routines or you can pull silks from your treasure chest (silk hankies taken from a ships captain), same with rope wrapped around me. Sponge balls represent pearls in patter (get white balls and when you say then you mention pearls you found that were about...this big!). 21st Century Silks where you surprised other ships when you suddenly appeared and the Jolly Roger (note to haters, that is the pirate flag and not an attempt to bring about anyone by that name so stop weeping) appears between two flags or whatever. I'd even consider the production of the jolly roger as a closure, perhaps make a blendo.

I suggest you get your normal material out and just think about how you can frame it with the theme in mind and you'll be surprised how easy it will be.
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Thanks for the reply MagicSanta,

My shows will not all be based on pirates, and I am not planning to dress as a pirate either, unless the owner of the business makes this a condition--but that has not been discussed. But this is a good idea for later if the relationship between me and the business works out.

I wanted my first show to be done so that I am showing appreciation to the owner (who is, by the way, a very nice person), which is why I am including the pirate opening for the first family night show.

Your idea of doing some silk routines works well as does the pearl sponge routine-that sounds great! Maybe a multiplying pearls routine!!! It occurs to me that I have a David Ginn spikes through arm illusion that would make an excellent pirate torture illusion which should play big enough to be a finale.

Thanks again for the comments MagicSanta, you always have great advice.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
There are several "pirate" magicians here at The Magic Café. SeaDawg, Captain Kid, and Potty The Pirate come to mind. I'm sure there are others here as well that are doing or have done pirate-themed shows. Maybe some of these will see this and post some helpful ideas.

Regan
Mister Mystery
kimmo
View Profile
Inner circle
Sheffield
1193 Posts

Profile of kimmo
I always thought the Wolf Wacky Water Wheel looks very 'piratey'

Supreme used to put out a great routine called 'pieces of eight'. Basically it was just magic washing with a pirate sword and large, octaganal gold 'coins' with holes through the middle. It's in 'Edwin's Magic' - it would be very easy to make up.
VISIT MY ONLINE STORE!: www.kimmomagicshop.com
NEW LECTURE NOTES - SHOW US YOUR TRIX NOW AVAILABLE AS AN INSTANT DIGITAL DOWNLOAD!

Kimmo DVD available Now!
Watch the promo here!
Order your copy NOW! CLICK HERE!

ENTERTAINER,MAGICIAN AND VENTRILOQUIST'S BLOG - DON'T READ THIS...
ERIC
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1188 Posts

Profile of ERIC
Here are a few

Multiplying rum bottles
tip over treasure chest
card sword (Here is one time it would actually fit)
wrist tie / escape

Like Santa said, pull out what you already have and just start thinking......Make old things new again.....
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
A great closer is mis-made flag, but with a pirate theme. Just get some plain black cloths and paint comical pictures on them with white fabric paint. Make up a couple of silly mis-made fakes, and one with a "real" Jolly Roger. Then use a change bag (pirate loot sack), pirate hat, or other device, to switch in the various flags with an assistant from the audience to work a few comedy wands, etc.
If you can get a telescopic appearing flagpole you can finally produce a HUGE flag from somewhere. This always gets a great reaction, and is the perfect closing trick.
Potty Smile
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Torn and restored treasure map or Miser's Dream with pieces of eight and a story about plunder. Aaarg!
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I was thinking mismade flag myself. I was pondering it today and if you can get an airbrush guy to help make it you could have something very cool.
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Thanks for the link mrbilldentertainer, some good ideas there, and from others here, Thanks.

I do like the idea of a pirate initiation on one of the posts, that is a good "reason" for a trick like the spikes through the arm that I already have.

All of your comments, and those from the link, have given me a better perspective and directions to think in.
www.magicbyhabu.com
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Really, any trick can be pirate themed. Its all about what you say to introduce the prop (if its not already obviously a pirate prop)

A coin can be a treasure. ``Ok guys what do pirates love!?`` take a couple answers. If they don't hit it: ``its nice and shiny and usually comes in a treasure chest....that`s right!! Gold coins``

Sponge balls can become your Parrot`s eggs... just mention it once... and maybe you can pluck them off your shoulder as if Polly was sitting right there.. Invisible Polly the Parrot routine!

Don`t feel as though ALL the tricks have to be pirate themed. Its a magic show after all. Just use the word ``pirate`` a lot and make your magic words pirate like.

D lites could be plucked from under an eye patch. (If you are not dressed as a pirate you can take out the eye patch for the trick.) (maybe on a kid?)

Rope through body can be ``the rope that is on the sides of the ship, so people don't fall off the boat!...This trick only works with this rope...the old rope of a secret pirate ship that ...................``

If its not an easy to relate prop, use pirate gestures and a couple of ``R R matey`` and funny gestures for your magic words. That makes the trick relevant to your theme.

Its all in the patter... I say keep you REAL pirate tricks for the first and last tricks. that's what they will remember.

Good luck! Sounds like a fun gig
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I had a pirate themed party to perform at a year or so ago. Don't forget to throw in a bunch of pirate jokes. They will add a lot to making your show feel piratee (not a word but you know what I mean). There are more pirate jokes than you can count but just throw in lines like.

Know how I got here today? In may caaarrrrrrrr.

Boy when I finish this show I think I'll need some R and Aaaaaarrrrrrr.

I just went to the movies but you couldn't see it because it was rated AAARRRRRRrrrrr.

I gotta go get a coke. Think I'll head over to the baaaaarrrrrr.

They are silly but it's fun and all the AAaaarrrr jokes become a running gag that the spectators eventually start joining in on.
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Lol hilarious!!

``Boy when I finish this show I think I'll need some R and Aaaaaarrrrrrr``

that's the perfect line to direct to the little hyper kid who dosent stop shouting things... it will be funny for the parents especially
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Quote:
On 2008-02-26 14:34, kimmo wrote:
I always thought the Wolf Wacky Water Wheel looks very 'piratey'

More so now after Jack Sparrow was running around on top of one.

There's a nice telescope gag/trick in Trevor Lewis' party pieces.

George
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
The Doty Scope idea (used with permission) but built into a telescope would be cool. http://www.kenscottproducts.com/DotyScope.html

How about a dancing parrot feather?
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=2166

A shovel to dig up the treasure with?
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=3342&js=n

Airborne glass as rum is poured from a rum bottle...
http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php?productid=2480

And to add a groaner like the ones above: "Most pirates travel by ship. But I travel by Caaaaarrrrrrr!"

Lyndel
KC Cameron
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, North Carolina
1877 Posts

Profile of KC Cameron
My most popular character is "Captain Kid", and after a lot of experimenting I discovered the most important thing about a "pirate" magician are costume and personality. I would be careful NOT to force a pirate character on everything, but use it like seasoning - a little can go a long way. Remember, the pirate that kids know is different than the pirate of old adult movies. Talk like a pirate and many won't understand. Dress too pirate like and you will scare the lil' ones. I quickly learned not to use an eye patch or hook (which I developed routines) because it scared the youngest and most timid. While these kids may love it on TV, in real life is a different story.

That being said, you must discover the age range of your audence to determine what to do. My misers dream is always popular, and I use 50 cent pieces and call them "coins" not doubloons. My Axtell board is highly requested by repeat business, and I present it as an activity I do on long sailing trips. I use a heavy chain as a barrier for the kids not to cross, and also use it in a chain escape. I do a linking ring routine from "plundered treasure". Each of these is about 7-8 minute routines. I do other smaller routines that have no direct relation to pirates as well.

In all these "pirate routines", I just mention briefly how they are "piratey". The real pirate portion of the show comes from my personality and dress. Be careful not to fall into the mistake many Gospel magicians fall into. Some try to force a message into every trick. When the message comes from you, and the trick is a fun vehicle to bring the kids to you, it seems to work best.

Of course, having a parrot helps too.

That being said, it is Sunday, and I have a couple pirate parties to do. Interestingly enough, one for a 9 y/o girl and another for a 4 y/o girl.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2008-02-28 17:22, derrick wrote:
I had a pirate themed party to perform at a year or so ago. Don't forget to throw in a bunch of pirate jokes. They will add a lot to making your show feel piratee (not a word but you know what I mean). There are more pirate jokes than you can count but just throw in lines like.

They are silly but it's fun and all the AAaaarrrr jokes become a running gag that the spectators eventually start joining in on.

Lets not forget....

" How much did the pirate pay for his ear rings?"

A buckaneer!

Best,

Tim

Day 2
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Nice one. I'd forgotten about that one.

"What's orange and sounds like a parrot?" is kind of pirate related. I love that joke. When I tell it at a party there's usually one child who will explain it then the rest will laugh.

You've also go: two parrots on a perch one turns to the other and says "can you smell fish?"
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
OK, what's orange and sounds like a parrot? I guess I need a child to explain this one to me. I'm missing the punch line somewhere.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Any ideas on pirate related magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.42 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL